PDA

View Full Version : any duty on traps from the US?

goosejerky
05-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Hey folks!

Just wondering if anyone has ordered any coil spring traps from the US and had to pay duty at the border... does anyone have experience with this at all?

HunterDave
05-21-2016, 10:37 PM
I never bought coil spring traps but I routinely purchase other items from the US. If your product(s) total more than $20 you can get hit with 5% gst plus a brokerage fee for collecting the duty. Make sure that they ship through USPS and NOT UPS or another carrier. Canada Post only charges about an $8 brokerage fee and sometimes you get by with no duties. UPS on the other hand will for sure charge you the duty and their brokerage fee is absolutely ridiculous!

H380
05-23-2016, 06:27 AM
Get all my trapping / snaring supplies from the States . Declared $172 worth a couple days ago after I picked them up at my U.S. p.o. box and paid no duty:sHa_shakeshout: . Depends whos on duty I guess .Im guessing a package thru the mail would be dinged at going rate .

dmac
05-23-2016, 08:15 AM
Duty is dependent on what they are and where the goods are manufactured. Goods made in the US, Mexico and Canada are exempt under the free trade agreement.

NextRidge
05-23-2016, 11:23 AM
Duty is dependent on what they are and where the goods are manufactured. Goods made in the US, Mexico and Canada are exempt under the free trade agreement.

Bingo....has nothing to do with you buying them there, if more than 50% of the product is made in NA then there is no duty

HunterDave
05-23-2016, 04:39 PM
Customs duties and taxes
Any item mailed into Canada is potentially subject to duty and/or taxes with few exceptions. Visit the CBSA website at cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/menu-eng.html for more information on mail imports.

A handling fee of $9.95CDN per dutiable or taxable mail item is applied.

Other exemptions
Customs duty may not apply to certain products or products manufactured in certain countries. For example, there are generally no customs duties applicable to products that qualify under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). However, in most cases the Goods and Services Tax (GST) is still applied to these products.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGcustoms-e.asp