PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the elbow near downtown?

rry
05-23-2016, 03:36 PM
Any one ever fish the elbow near the talisman center or stampede grounds?

rry
05-25-2016, 07:03 PM
No one ever fish the area? No experiences?

Carson13
05-26-2016, 10:26 AM
I beleive its closed? But not great fishing when I have hit it... A couple whitefish and that's all I've seen

Okotokian
05-26-2016, 11:03 AM
I beleive its closed? But not great fishing when I have hit it... A couple whitefish and that's all I've seen

Yes, open June 1 (odd date when June 15 is the usual small river opening in Southern Albeta)

Richard B.
05-26-2016, 04:45 PM
I fished it around the Stampede grounds a few years ago with fly fishing tackle but no joy.

Salmo
05-26-2016, 10:48 PM
I've fished it the past, the browns aren't plentiful but there are a few around. The fishing is best when the conditions are favourable (off colour, up a bit etc.) It used to be good in the spring before they extended the closed season, when the browns were turning on post winter. Unless you find a riser, target the heads of pools with a nymph or streamer and be patient.

I did have one day when a rain turned the river from clear to about 2 feet vis, the browns were smoking streamers like I remember them doing back in the small rivers of Ontario. There were more around than i thought.

Gillfisher
05-27-2016, 07:27 AM
Many years ago we used to fish the elbow just below Sandy beach. Caught a few nice trout.
If you want to fish the Elbow within the City Limits head up to the Weasle Head area above the Glenmore reservoir when it opens. I catch a lot of trout in that areas as well as a few hammer handles when I fish it.
Once the June rains have moved on and the Mountain run off is completed the rivers settles down & cleans up. Small spinners such as Mepps or Rapalas work really well.

rry
05-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the info! I know its not open yet, was just wondering peoples experiences, will try it a bit this summer as it is close to home.

Lazy Fisherguy
05-29-2016, 05:58 PM
just go a little south, try Bow River by the Fish Creek park down streams...

cfricker
05-29-2016, 06:51 PM

Would you mean down around the Mackenzie/Cranston areas? Would love to find a good spot to hit up within city limits. Although being in the NW I can pretty much head out in the country quicker than I can travel down south.

rry
05-30-2016, 07:18 PM

I do fish there but elbow is outside my front door... So thought i might give it a try

kritofr
05-31-2016, 08:25 AM
I do fish there but elbow is outside my front door... So thought i might give it a try

I have had some great success fishing the Elbow River- more in the early mornings and in the evenings on the crappy weather days. If it is a hot sunny day, I haven't had too much luck that evening.

It has its share of pleasure tubers/rafters so be prepared to share the water.