PDA

View Full Version : First experience with sturgeon

topgear
05-23-2016, 05:09 PM
Thought I'd share a few photos and thoughts about our first time experiencing Sturgeon fishing on the Fraser River. My fiancé, buddy, and I travelled out to Chilliwack the third week of April to scratch Sturgeon off our bucket lists. Wow... Like nothing else I've ever experienced! 11 fish brought in over two days with the smallest being 5.5', and several over 7'. The largest was caught by my 115 lb fiancé. She reeled it in completely by herself. It measured 8' and was pushing 300 lbs! I can't say enough about the entire experience. The guide was great (Yves from Sturgeon Slayers), the weather was hovering around 30 degrees, we only saw one other boat, and what else can some hicks from Alberta do while waiting for opening day in our province? If you enjoy fishing, you owe it to yourself to experience what these fish are like. It's a world class fishery right here in Canada.

trigger7mm
05-23-2016, 05:18 PM
Wow, looks like a ball. Congrats to your fiance on that giant.

Kurt505
05-23-2016, 06:34 PM
Fishing won't be the same for you from now on. There's something about watching the soft hit on the rod, then setting the hook and bam! The fight is on. You have 200lb braid on, a 200-300lb fish breaching the water and ripping line off your reel like it was snagged on the bumper of a passing car. I hope to get out again this fall.

Congrats!

waterninja
05-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Congrats on a great trip, and some great fish. I love fishing in BC.

hl649
05-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Landed a 11 1/2 footer a while back on the Columbia River. I also had a few snap my braided 350 lb. test line like it was 2 lb test. They are quite the fish. Definitely a cool experience.

Adwittoutdoors
05-24-2016, 09:28 AM
That'd of been a great trip for sure !! I'm jelly for sure.

Don K
05-24-2016, 09:31 AM
Awesome! Caught lots of lake sturgeon but am really starting to get the urge to go to BC for the whites.

EZM
05-24-2016, 09:55 AM
That sounds like something every fisherman should add to their bucket list.

I have not been out on the Fraser since I was a teenager ........ time to try and plan a trip and hook some big dinos.

Good post.

Fishslayer99
05-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Fishing won't be the same for you from now on. There's something about watching the soft hit on the rod, then setting the hook and bam! The fight is on. You have 200lb braid on, a 200-300lb fish breaching the water and ripping line off your reel like it was snagged on the bumper of a passing car. I hope to get out again this fall.

Congrats!

Well said.....congrats looks like a very sucsessful trip! I was out in early May and it was unreal!