PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a northern pike.

SamSteele
05-24-2016, 06:57 PM
I put together a quick YouTube video on how to fillet a northern pike. Most of you probably have a method you use, but this is one I have yet to see others use. My Grandfather taught me this method. I'm in the process of uploading another video on deboning them as well.

https://youtu.be/ZMUyb1HjyHY

Let me know your thoughts.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Og Dumi
05-24-2016, 07:06 PM
That hand handle at the tail fin is a sweet idea thanks for sharing.

SamSteele
05-24-2016, 07:08 PM
Here is the one on deboning.

https://youtu.be/GyuSDRZcT8U

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evan83
05-24-2016, 08:27 PM
Nice Vids. Thanks!

hippietrekker
05-24-2016, 08:28 PM
That filleting method is most excellent, thanks for sharing!

RavYak
05-24-2016, 09:10 PM
If you don't normally bleed your fish I would start. Even just for how much easier it makes clean up.

Also I am sure you know this but you can remove the y-bones using the same method without cutting off the top part of the fillet it is just a bit more finicky.

EZM
05-24-2016, 09:52 PM
I have not seen the "handle" method before .... kind of interesting.

My favorite method is the "5 cut boneless" if I'm going to eat it at the lake.

Transporting 5 fillets may present some challenges as "2 fillets are considered one fish" according to the regulations where length regulations are not applicable.

SamSteele
05-24-2016, 09:59 PM
If you don't normally bleed your fish I would start. Even just for how much easier it makes clean up.

Also I am sure you know this but you can remove the y-bones using the same method without cutting off the top part of the fillet it is just a bit more finicky.

I don't usually bleed my fish in the summer as I keep them in the livewell until I'm back at the dock and then I clean them immediately. I do bleed them in the winter when ice fishing though.

My kids like fish fingers as they fry up a bit crisper, so I'm cool with taking the top part from the fillet too. It makes my life a little easier to boot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wildwoods
05-24-2016, 10:04 PM
I have not seen the "handle" method before .... kind of interesting.

My favorite method is the "5 cut boneless" if I'm going to eat it at the lake.

Transporting 5 fillets may present some challenges as "2 fillets are considered one fish" according to the regulations where length regulations are not applicable.

X2 on the five cut boneless. Easy and delicious

58thecat
05-25-2016, 05:52 AM
What ever happened to knock the head off, guts out,stuff er with onions, garlic, butter etc wrap in tin foil and role in the coals, unwrap and eat with a fork...finger food!:)

EZM
05-25-2016, 10:10 AM
What ever happened to knock the head off, guts out,stuff er with onions, garlic, butter etc wrap in tin foil and role in the coals, unwrap and eat with a fork...finger food!:)

what happened...........? damn fish sticks happened !!!!!!

Kids and wives now days won't eat fish when they have to pick the bones out !!!!!

chimpac
05-25-2016, 10:22 AM
For me it is guts out and then baked just enough to take the skin off and be able to pull the meat apart to find whatever bones. So good eaten cold with ranch or what ever dressing. Or hot fried in some butter.

Bemoredog
05-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Does anyone find that cooking pike with the skin on affects the taste negatively?

SamSteele
05-25-2016, 12:43 PM
I can't imagine cooking a pike with the skin NOT affecting the taste of the meat. Especially since it takes all of 30 seconds to clean one.

SS

EZM
05-25-2016, 03:59 PM
I have said this before, and I am a believer, that what you do within the first few minutes of deciding to keep a pike makes ALL the difference in the quality of the meat.

If I'm keeping it, it gets bonked and bled. In the winter (ice fishing) she gets rolled around in the snow until the slime freezes, scrapped off and buried on the ice under snow to keep the flesh fresh.

In the summer, bonk, bleed, and on ice in the cooler right away. Remove gills or guts within hours when back at camp if I'm taking it home and it needs to have "evidence of length and species". Fish stays on ice.

If I can fillet it boneless, put it on ice, better yet.

Dragging a pike around in the water on a stringer, on a hot sunny day, having the skin/flesh discolor is ruins the meat and makes it slimy. Gross.