PDA

View Full Version : Shore lander trailer

TROLLER
05-25-2016, 07:03 PM
Was at Blood Indian today and an old guy comes over as I am taking the boat out of the water and proceeds to tell me the wheel bearings in the Shore lander are made in China and will fail before too long.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never heard of any such thing, I have bearing buddies and do give a few pumps of grease through out the season.

Anyone hear of there being a bearing issue with the Shore Lander?

dodger
05-25-2016, 07:21 PM
My SL is going on 10 years old with the original bearings. I clean out the old grease in the fall and pack with new grease. I have bearing buddies also.

Dodger.

Rosco300WM
05-26-2016, 09:01 AM
Depending on the make and year, it can be a problem. My brother had the oil bath type hubs and the sightglass cracked and he lost all the oil. Luckily he caught it before the bearing went. Through his research, he found it was quit common and shorelander has since modified the sightglass/hub assembly to eliminate the problem (he now carries a spare hub assembly with him for cheap roadside insurance).

My trailer came with bearing buddies, but after my research, simply pumping grease into them will only get the front bearing and not the rear. Most people suggest repacking them on an annual basis (depending on use of course). My understanding is that the grease you pump into it is to provide a bit of back pressure to keep water out when loading/off loading etc and not necessarily to get grease into the bearing.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

EZM
05-26-2016, 09:10 AM
Never had an issue with a ShoreLandr' trailer. Owned dozens.

Bearings are, as mentioned, the premium bearing buddies, on my Lund.

I run my trailers with far more miles, down crappier gravel roads in one season than most guys do in a lifetime.

Never had an issue.

My guess is the old guy was just chirping because he is feeling lonely, unimportant and misses the days he was "the man" who knew it all and had life by the balls. He is now a former shadow of himself walking around mumbling and rambling to anyone who will listen to him. lol.

Elkaholic338
05-26-2016, 09:28 AM

I run my trailers with far more miles, down crappier gravel roads in one season than most guys do in a lifetime.

Never had an issue.

My guess is the old guy was just chirping because he is feeling lonely, unimportant and misses the days he was "the man" who knew it all and had life by the balls. He is now a former shadow of himself walking around mumbling and rambling to anyone who will listen to him. lol.

^^^ That's funny right there.

and as previously said, the key to bearings is grease, regardless of boat trailer brand, most bearings are made in only a handful of places, so wear and failure are fairly consistent across the board, and as long as you are not afraid to re pack them every year, they should last quite a while.

as for oil bath hubs, make sure you check them regularly and I suggest replacing the axle seals every couple of years to make sure that they don't start leaking on you.

EZM
05-26-2016, 10:01 AM
^^^ That's funny right there.

and as previously said, the key to bearings is grease, regardless of boat trailer brand, most bearings are made in only a handful of places, so wear and failure are fairly consistent across the board, and as long as you are not afraid to re pack them every year, they should last quite a while.

as for oil bath hubs, make sure you check them regularly and I suggest replacing the axle seals every couple of years to make sure that they don't start leaking on you.

Agreed.

If I'm doing a longer trip, I make sure I put my hands on the bearings to see if there is any excessive heat. On the rare occasion there is some, a little grease to top them up sometimes solves the issues.

Any long trip I go on I make sure I have a milk crate with extra tools, a grease gun, breaker bar, bottle jack, tools, etc.... as well as a spare tire, hub kit, spare prop and hub, etc...

TROLLER
05-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Now that we are on the subject I also do not like the size of wheels on my Shore Lander 12 It is just a 14 Crestliner but I think the wheels are a bit small still the same.

I was thinking about changing them out for 13 or 14 if I can fit them also change out the 2000 axle for a bit bigger most likely a 3500 At the same time change over from bearing buddies to oil.

Salavee
05-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Depending on the make and year, it can be a problem. My brother had the oil bath type hubs and the sightglass cracked and he lost all the oil. Luckily he caught it before the bearing went. Through his research, he found it was quit common and shorelander has since modified the sightglass/hub assembly to eliminate the problem (he now carries a spare hub assembly with him for cheap roadside insurance).

My trailer came with bearing buddies, but after my research, simply pumping grease into them will only get the front bearing and not the rear. Most people suggest repacking them on an annual basis (depending on use of course). My understanding is that the grease you pump into it is to provide a bit of back pressure to keep water out when loading/off loading etc and not necessarily to get grease into the bearing.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

True ! Bearing Buddies will not lube the inner bearings.

jim summit
05-26-2016, 11:31 AM
The old fella could be right, a large majority of bearings come from china these days, and BRP parts as well, known for there quality sleds and atvs.

PerchBuster
05-26-2016, 07:00 PM
Agreed.

If I'm doing a longer trip, I make sure I put my hands on the bearings to see if there is any excessive heat. On the rare occasion there is some, a little grease to top them up sometimes solves the issues.

Any long trip I go on I make sure I have a milk crate with extra tools, a grease gun, breaker bar, bottle jack, tools, etc.... as well as a spare tire, hub kit, spare prop and hub, etc...

X2. I basically travel the same way as you do.

Have used various foreign bearings including China with no issues. If I may add, sand and water are the enemy. Doesn't matter much where the bearings are made. I would caution that just repacking the bearings every year may not be good enough. I would say every couple of years the hub should be taken off and everything completely cleaned and degreased to try and get rid of every spec of sand. Look for discolouration caused by heat on the bearings and races. Look for any scoring caused by sand or metal on metal. Personally, and it may be overkill, but I change out to a brand new bearing kit and rear seal every 5 years needed or not. Bearing kits are cheap and so is grease. Stuck in the middle of nowhere with little to no help is not! I don't push my luck beyond 5 years, I change them out. Also by removing that hub on a fairly regular basis you can then clean and check the trailer spindle for any wearing, scoring, straightness or thread damage etc.

Pikebreath
05-27-2016, 01:10 PM

Never had an issue.

Now,, now,, be nice to the elderly... You must just live long enough to resemble that remark!!! lol

Okotokian
05-27-2016, 01:46 PM

Hey, I resent that remark. Sometimes we old geezers do do that when we meet people, but mostly we just do it on internet forums. :p

EZM
05-27-2016, 04:16 PM
I'm going to get a good ol' fashion beat down by some of our "more seasoned" members here .....lol ........ just teasing boys .... my favorite uncle is "that guy".

I'm pretty sure he's the guy that told me that prophylactics used to be made from sheep intestines when he started using them.

cube
05-28-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm pretty sure he's the guy that told me that prophylactics used to be made from sheep intestines when he started using them.

They still are.

http://www.trojanbrands.com/condoms/TROJAN-Naturalamb-Luxury-Condoms

man of steel
05-29-2016, 07:33 AM
I work with bearings for a living. These days there is a huge difference in the quality of bearings out there.

I only buy "name brand" bearings. They may be manufactured offshore but the quality control is consistent.

Bearings are usually a product that you get what you pay for. SKF, Timkin, NTN, etc will cost 2-3 times more but you know what you are getting.

If you do not value your time and are not afraid of a failure you can use the cheap stuff. Some of them last OK some not so much.