PDA

View Full Version : Would Like This Law to Change

waterninja
05-26-2016, 10:42 AM
This is my first attempt at starting a thread from my phone. Anyways, it was a beautiful afternoon yesterday so wife and I took our grandson to Hermitage trout pond. He loves visiting with the geese and trying to land a big one.
When we got there the dock area was crowded with 8 full grown adult males and not one child with them. Herm pond is quite shallow along the shoreline, and it is very difficult to fish from shore. I felt a little bad watching the 3 mothers and a couple fathers trying to fish from shore with their young children. Years ago an adult had to be accompanied by a child to fish herm pond. Don't know why they changed that rule, but I think they should bring it back. I plan to call 311 and look into this.
My grandson did manage to land a "monster" and had a great time on a lovely afternoon. Going to try and post a vid for first time. Didn't work. 122022

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waterninja
05-26-2016, 10:55 AM
https://vimeo.com/168224626

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okotokian
05-26-2016, 11:00 AM
I'm not averse to having a "kids only" pond or a "kids only" dock. However, what I don't know is how many ponds there are around the area and whether they have any such rule. If there were three small ponds within a city and one was designated kids only, that's fine. If it's the only pond around then everyone needs to share it. I'm sure the dock isn't filled with adults every day of the week.

Frankly, I don't frequent such ponds because I want to leave them to kids. I would feel sort of out of place. Like fishing at an aquarium. LOL

And glad your grandson got a big one. :)

waterninja
05-26-2016, 11:12 AM
1... Good thing I can't accidentally launch a missle with my phone, cause it beats me how that vid posted.

2... Turns out that since it is a public park, the City cannot restrict people to having children along if they wish to fish. Which begs the question, is there any other ponds around the province where you need to be accompanied by a child to fish? Could have sworn I read on here at some point about such ponds. If so, how are they doing it?

Sooner
05-26-2016, 11:34 AM
My daughter and I were trying out the kayaks a couple Sundays ago. Been a few years since I was fishing at Hermitage Lake. We stayed in the middle and to the islands to avoid any long casts and bobbers. I was able to grab some plastic bags from the shore edge around the islands. That's fun with a nesting pair of geese and papa giving you the stink eye as you creep right near shore lol. Thankfully the paddle is long and can scoop the bags.

Seems to me there is lots of areas where they could put a couple more docks out.

waterninja
05-26-2016, 11:59 AM
My daughter and I were trying out the kayaks a couple Sundays ago. Been a few years since I was fishing at Hermitage Lake. We stayed in the middle and to the islands to avoid any long casts and bobbers. I was able to grab some plastic bags from the shore edge around the islands. That's fun with a nesting pair of geese and papa giving you the stink eye as you creep right near shore lol. Thankfully the paddle is long and can scoop the bags.

Seems to me there is lots of areas where they could put a couple more docks out.
Thanks for reminding me of another sad thing at Herm. We were watching all the canada geese, and out of about 100 adults there was ONE gosling. I guess the authorities are still oiling and shaking the eggs in all the nests. I wonder what all those nesting pairs think when none of their egss hatch? Seems sad. I know you have to keep the numbers down, but damn, it sure seems cold to me. That one gosling has to be the most protected and watched over baby goose in N. America.

Deep
05-26-2016, 01:33 PM
Many yrs back I had F&W tell me the fact that they return to where they take flight (not hatch) and as the adults molt at this time- relocation of the whole family can occur.

RavYak
05-26-2016, 01:51 PM
Thanks for reminding me of another sad thing at Herm. We were watching all the canada geese, and out of about 100 adults there was ONE gosling. I guess the authorities are still oiling and shaking the eggs in all the nests. I wonder what all those nesting pairs think when none of their egss hatch? Seems sad. I know you have to keep the numbers down, but damn, it sure seems cold to me. That one gosling has to be the most protected and watched over baby goose in N. America.

If they are doing so it is probably a mixture of trying to keep geese numbers down and also to protect kids etc from protective mothers.

Stupid geese can be a royal pain, I had one that I swore was going to try and take me down but ended up it was all bark and no bite.

idaman
05-26-2016, 01:52 PM
1... Good thing I can't accidentally launch a missle with my phone, cause it beats me how that vid posted.

2... Turns out that since it is a public park, the City cannot restrict people to having children along if they wish to fish. Which begs the question, is there any other ponds around the province where you need to be accompanied by a child to fish? Could have sworn I read on here at some point about such ponds. If so, how are they doing it?

Here's a few I found on a quick IFish search...

Sooner
05-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Now that you say that, i only seen this set with goslings out. I think she had 3 or 4.

jpg.gif Kayaking May 2016 065 1.jpg

Isopod
05-29-2016, 10:19 PM
Which begs the question, is there any other ponds around the province where you need to be accompanied by a child to fish? Could have sworn I read on here at some point about such ponds. If so, how are they doing it?

I'm pretty sure the Vegreville Children's Pond (beside the giant pysanka) is open only to children 15 years and younger. It is typically stocked with 1000 rainbows each year. I'm not sure how they enforce the rule, but public shaming might be pretty effective. For adults, the old town reservoir beside highway 16 is just a few kilometres away and is stocked with rainbows (and used to have perch too).

waterninja
05-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Now that you say that, i only seen this set with goslings out. I think she had 3 or 4.

jpg.gif Kayaking May 2016 065 1.jpg
Yeh, there used to be lots of nesting pairs with hundreds of goslings every spring. A few years ago they started oiling and shaking almost all of the eggs. Sad for the geese, but they were making a real mess of all the park area, and real polluting the ponds. Sure was fun watching and interacting with them though.

TROLLER
05-30-2016, 02:49 PM
The fish hatchery in Calgary has a childrens only trout pond. It teaches them catch and release and is full of fish so all kids can be sure to catch at least one and most times several.