PDA

View Full Version : Boats with Gas Motors Not in Operation on Restricted Lakes

Bemoredog
05-26-2016, 11:41 AM
Sorry for the confusing title.

I'm wondering if it's OK to take a boat with a gas motor onto restricted lakes so long as the motor is tilted up, not in use and wrapped in plastic? I've looked around the interwebs and can't find a definite answer.

If nobody knows I'll call F&W and update.

Okotokian
05-26-2016, 11:44 AM
I'd wondered that in the past as well and have no idea as to the answer. But given how rules are written I'm betting it would be against the rule. Enforcement folk don't want to have to worry about you not using it when they are around, then using it once they leave. Sort of like how you get charged with drunk driving even if you are in the car passed out and not actually driving.

idaman
05-26-2016, 12:21 PM
I'd wondered that in the past as well and have no idea as to the answer. But given how rules are written I'm betting it would be against the rule. Enforcement folk don't want to have to worry about you not using it when they are around, then using it once they leave. Sort of like how you get charged with drunk driving even if you are in the car passed out and not actually driving.

Seen it many times, even on Muir lake...called f&g and have been given 3 ddifferent answers, have a it's OK in writing on a email tho...

Okotokian
05-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Seen it many times, even on Muir lake...called f&g and have been given 3 ddifferent answers, have a it's OK in writing on a email tho...

well that's good.

RavYak
05-26-2016, 01:47 PM
There is no written clarification in the law hence why no one would know the answer and ultimately it would be up to the CO whether or not he believes you may or may not be using the motor.

The law states

(3) No person shall operate a power-driven vessel in any of the waters described in Schedule 3, except as indicated in that Schedule.

And defines power driven vessel as

power-driven means a mode of propulsion provided by a main propelling machinery that is an internal combustion engine or a steam engine.

All I will say is that if you take a boat with a motor out on one of these ponds you better have the leg completely out of the water, preferably wrapped with a garbage bag and you better leave your gas on shore. If you do all the above you are protecting the lake as you should be and it is obvious you aren't using the motor and it would be hard to ticket you(and even harder to uphold in court if ticketed).

If you can't meet those requirements I would fish off shore, find a different method to fish these ponds or go to one of the trout waters where power boats are allowed. Honestly the last thing we need right now is a bunch of guys trying to fish these little ponds with full size boats...

SNAPFisher
05-26-2016, 01:56 PM
Sorry for the confusing title.

I'm wondering if it's OK to take a boat with a gas motor onto restricted lakes so long as the motor is tilted up, not in use and wrapped in plastic? I've looked around the interwebs and can't find a definite answer.

If nobody knows I'll call F&W and update.

I called F&W regarding Maligne about this. Technically it was fine as not being used in any way, but, the officer did say that you might not be popular with the other boaters. And, as I thought through the scenarios as well as what could potentially go wrong, I decided not to entertain the idea any further.

As an example:
When I was in Manitoba at Paterson, a couple of younger ones tried that with a 16.5 Crestliner. As they wind came up they ran out of battery power about mid-day. Not smart. They were going to fire up the engine and another boater overhead them. After a bit of a scolding he towed them to shore with his battery powered tinner - which we all very much appreciated.

Now I really see what the officer meant from my first paragraph...

Bemoredog
05-26-2016, 02:15 PM
Fair enough and thanks for the reply.

My boat isn't terribly big lengthwise. It's about 14.5 feet (my canoe is actually longer, though less wide of course :)).

Because it's a small boat that's sort of why I was wondering if I could just tilt the motor, wrap it up and drain gas/remove tank. If I had the space I'd buy a small tinner for restricted lakes, but as it is half the garage is taken up by the boat.

On most restricted lakes my canoe is more than fine, but if a few people come with or it's a bigger lake (like Maligne in Jasper) I'd prefer my 14 footer.

Edit: To SNAPfisher, that's a good point. I was planning on picking up at least one more 200 amp hour battery for my trolling motor. Ideally I'll buy one more 200 AH and a reserve 100 AH so I can get back to shore. I'll still have my starting battery as well if things got to that point...

Are there outfits in Jasper that rent out small roof topable tinners? If so I'd just go that route. Simpler by far.

RavYak
05-26-2016, 02:34 PM
You could pop the motor off although if it has steering linkages or is a bigger motor might be a bit more complicated but for a trip like say to maligne could be worthwhile doing.

Maligne is a bit of a different story as I was thinking places like Muir, Chickakoo etc. As long as you have the motor out of the water and wrapped up(so cannot possibly contaminate with oil/fuel) and don't have fuel on board then shouldn't be an issue. Yeah some guys might give you a tough time but screw em, if you take the right steps then no harm no foul in my books.

TROLLER
05-26-2016, 02:48 PM
Don't really know what you can expect in the national park but I would think different views from different wardens.

I bought what I call my pond boat just for this very reason, I can take it to the ponds and lakes that do not allow gas motors.