PDA

View Full Version : Perch near Edmonton

Id481
05-26-2016, 01:54 PM
Where to go for perch fishing near Edmonton within 50 to 150 km radius. Thanks to members who already advised on the perch bait.

FlyTheory
05-26-2016, 03:59 PM
At one time I would have said spring lake but they're gone. Now I would suggest Devils lake (from what other anglers have posted), however I've never fished it myself. If you're not looking to keep anything, wab would be a good place too.

fishyfish
05-26-2016, 04:00 PM
Where to go for perch fishing near Edmonton within 50 to 150 km radius. Thanks to members who already advised on the perch bait.

Never been to it but Nakamun Lake, it's about an hour plus depending where in Edmonton you are.

http://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/water/all/nakamun-lake#map

Talking moose
05-26-2016, 04:03 PM
Never been to it but Nakamun Lake, it's abut and hour plus depending where in Edmonton you are.

http://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/water/all/nakamun-lake#map

Winterkilled couple years ago. Unless they are back already.

fishyfish
05-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Oh then probably a no go for nakamun.

What about Cardiff Park Pond?

http://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/water/all/cardiff-park-pond#regulations

Safety D
05-26-2016, 04:52 PM
good luck finding anything ...

3blade
05-26-2016, 06:46 PM
Oh then probably a no go for nakamun.

What about Cardiff Park Pond?

http://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/water/all/cardiff-park-pond#regulations

Nada. Winterkilled several years in a row. Used to be my go to perch spot.

Devils is hit or miss, but there are some in there. Need a boat to find them. Gull has some good ones. Between winterkills and the stupid walleye it's hard to find decent perch now.

fluxcore
05-26-2016, 07:03 PM
I'd say pigeon but good luck getting a perch up the water column without a walleye hanging on lol. The perch in gull have really been hammered on and sifted through leaving only the little guys, lots and lots of people target perch in gull the last few winters, used to catch keepers all day but these last two winters I'm getting one in every 30 I catch!

Id481
05-27-2016, 07:41 AM
Yes I want keep them, so Wabamun is not gonna help.

If I expand the radius ? is that gonna help to find a lake good for perch fishing from shore.

fishyfish
05-27-2016, 09:41 AM
What about Hasse Lake, about an hour away.

http://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/water/all/hasse-lake-PP2#regulations

Talking moose
05-27-2016, 10:35 AM
What about Hasse Lake, about an hour away.

http://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/water/all/hasse-lake-PP2#regulations

Winterkilled as well.

Id481
05-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Guys, any other solid recommendations :(

Red Bullets
05-28-2016, 12:12 AM
South Buck Lake. If you can find the perch there are some decent perch there. Pretty hard to find in the summer.

Id481
05-28-2016, 02:24 AM
South Buck Lake. If you can find the perch there are some decent perch there. Pretty hard to find in the summer.

Thanks I will be heading to Buck lake. Any specific spot / area for shore fishing?

waterninja
05-28-2016, 10:05 AM
Iv'e posted this before, but..... 10 klicks south of the weigh scales on hwy 2 at the Millet offramp you can see a small pond on the east side of the hwy. That deep little pond is teeming with Perch. Landowner lets people fish and swim there. Perch are small, but you get one every cast.

Red Bullets
05-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Thanks I will be heading to Buck lake. Any specific spot / area for shore fishing?

Like I said, the perch might be hard to find in the summer. If you look at the depth map it might give you some ideas where you 'might' be able to shore fish. The lake is quite shallow along the shore. It will probably require some wading into the lake to get to the depths from shore. And sometimes the perch might be found in the shallows.

Good luck.

Hass
05-28-2016, 10:40 AM
Guys, any other solid recommendations :(

Perch are hard to come by so most people are pretty tight lipped about their spots. I've seen it over and over... word gets out and that lake is hammered down for them until minnows left. I'd suggest browsing the alberta fighing guide website and search the zones near you. Good Luck on your perch hunt.

sureshot
05-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Lac Ste Anne has nice perch

FlyTheory
05-29-2016, 12:20 PM
Winterkilled as well.

I wonder though... I know it's been winter killed a few times but there still must be a few fish in there. 🤔

Talking moose
05-29-2016, 01:13 PM
I wonder though... I know it's been winter killed a few times but there still must be a few fish in there. 🤔

I think they dumped pike, walleye, perch and some species of minnows in there last, I'll look for the link.

Talking moose
05-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Not sure what survived but found this old thread
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=151948&highlight=Hasse+walleye

Supergrit
05-29-2016, 10:05 PM
Try iosegen lake fox creek

lannie
05-29-2016, 10:41 PM
Lac la Nonne has always had big and plentiful perch.

Id481
05-29-2016, 11:48 PM
Was out both Saturday and Sunday; no luck on perch. On Saturday I was at South Buck Lake, tried only for perch with bobber and bait - not a single bite. To male the trip worthwhile - on my way back to Edmonton tried my luck at Srdine Lake and caught a decent size Trout

Report on Hash Lake on Sunday - not a single bite, I'm pretty sure I was doing my best and spent significant number of hours waiting but no luck.

I know it's not nice and I'm not asking for someone's honey spot but it would be nice to know some lake that actually has some perch. If you want to send PM that would be nice and I promise to keep it to myself.

Vook
07-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I am looking for nice perch lake to bring my kids there. Did you try Lac la Nonne?

idaman
07-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Winter killed 2 winters ago and the perch were incredibly rare when a guy could manage to find them...

gopher67
07-13-2016, 08:28 PM
maybe cross lake

r-von
07-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Iv'e posted this before, but..... 10 klicks south of the weigh scales on hwy 2 at the Millet offramp you can see a small pond on the east side of the hwy. That deep little pond is teeming with Perch. Landowner lets people fish and swim there. Perch are small, but you get one every cast.

You've heard of people catchinng perch there recently? I've never had any luck catching anything whatsoever.

fishunter77
07-13-2016, 10:59 PM
Tough to find any perch around Edmonton.

If you want to try further. North buck will produce some. Heavy pressure during winter has decreased the average size below 8 inches.

Long lake by Boyle has some. Tough to catch.

Caught a few at Skeleton the past few winters above 10 inches.

Lac la Biche has a few lakes left. Good luck in your fishing. I find most of the fun is getting to know the lake and catching a few big ones to catch and release.

I was in the derby at Pinehurst and landed a few big ones when trying for Walleye. :sign0176:

As mentioned before, crooked, cardiff and hasse, spring you could catch perch around 10". Those days are gone. Lake levels have dropped and heavy pressure results in less fish.

Skoaltender
07-13-2016, 11:06 PM
Wizard lake will get you the perch, they may not be big, most under 5" but if you fire a real small jig w/ a couple maggots on it I'm sure you'll get into some. If you can find a 8" perch at wizard I think you're having yourself a good day. Or maybe I am a terrible perch fisherman.

1Heavyhitr
07-13-2016, 11:22 PM
Almost everything within two hours of the city is now dead when it comes to perch. It's so sad. I wish the province would aggressively restock perch.

Bush Critter
07-13-2016, 11:34 PM
Why?? Why???....all the negative ??? Might as well just stay home everything is winter kill no bother even going....any wear...

Gee it's freaking perch people... They are just about the only critter that can survive in almost any water body...

RavYak
07-14-2016, 12:10 AM
I honestly don't know a single lake around Edmonton that you could even catch mediocre perch from shore at.

Centralalbertasongdogslay
07-14-2016, 01:33 AM
Gull would have a great perch fishery if they didnt keep feeding the massive walleye and pike populations in not just gull but alot of the perch lakes that used to be good but alberta and their stupid regs and horrible walleye management is causing other fisheries to suffer yeah the walleye fishing is great but i think they need to do more lake by lake population studies because if the walleye populations arent managed better they are gonna end up eating and collapsing the perch numbers in a whole bunch of lakes with similar issues like gull

idaman
07-14-2016, 05:46 AM
Why?? Why???....all the negative ??? Might as well just stay home everything is winter kill no bother even going....any wear...

Gee it's freaking perch people... They are just about the only critter that can survive in almost any water body...

People aren't being negative the perch fishing within 2 hrs of the city is pretty well non existent, many recent winterkills.
You want perch go Phyliss or one of the perched out ponds around Rocky Mountain House, just tiny little guys 6" would be big....

Talking moose
07-14-2016, 05:50 AM
Wizard lake will get you the perch, they may not be big, most under 5" but if you fire a real small jig w/ a couple maggots on it I'm sure you'll get into some. If you can find a 8" perch at wizard I think you're having yourself a good day. Or maybe I am a terrible perch fisherman.

Sounds about right.

pinelakeperch
07-14-2016, 10:42 AM
Spend the money and go to North Dakota :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Talking moose
07-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Spend the money and go to North Dakota :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Devils lake is in the bucket list.

smitty9
07-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Not within the specified 50 to 150km radius of Edmonton, but what about Obed or Cow?

Stonecutter
07-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Gull would have a great perch fishery if they didnt keep feeding the massive walleye and pike populations in not just gull but alot of the perch lakes that used to be good but alberta and their stupid regs and horrible walleye management is causing other fisheries to suffer yeah the walleye fishing is great but i think they need to do more lake by lake population studies because if the walleye populations arent managed better they are gonna end up eating and collapsing the perch numbers in a whole bunch of lakes with similar issues like gull

THIS^^^

The gov't sees the recovery of the walter population in a lot of lakes as a victory, but it comes at the expense of other feeder species. This past winter, I caught more walters than pike -- this is new.

wildwoods
07-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Tough access but Minnow Lake down wolf lake road used to produce good numbers for the frying pan. Nice little campground out of the way...
:thinking-017:

1Heavyhitr
07-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Just look at pigeon. Nothing but walleye it seems... Perch and monster pike used to be great there. They should've opened up the regs on walleye there years ago..

bessiedog
07-14-2016, 05:07 PM
So..... Way back in the day.... I used to live up there and we used to get big humpies out of several lakes.....

Can anyone PM me and tell me if these lakes are still a little perchie?

I'll never visit them again in my life because I live way too far south

Isogun
Mons
Island lake
Whitefish lake
Kaduke lake
Brodeck lake
Man lake (I think it was lower)
Ironwood lake
Cache lake

I used to fish all of these regularly in the mid '80s.

I'd sure like to know what's happened to them.

idaman
07-14-2016, 07:06 PM
The Internet is what happened, Mons was good a couple years ago until word got out same with almost all the lakes you listed.

RavYak
07-14-2016, 08:52 PM
Yup perch lakes don't last long once word gets out. Look at Crimson last year. Literally fished out in months... All because a bunch of people thought it was wise to share on here, facebook, newspapers etc.

Talking moose
07-14-2016, 09:25 PM
The biggest fish out of a perch lake was Wiau. From plentiful large perch at the begining of hard water to next to nothing by winters end. Nowhere near a major city. Internet.

sacan
07-22-2016, 11:04 PM
At one time I would have said spring lake but they're gone. Now I would suggest Devils lake (from what other anglers have posted), however I've never fished it myself. If you're not looking to keep anything, wab would be a good place too.

Lake Summerside in Edmonton. You have to keep all the Perch you catch. They want all the Perch gone in order to get the trout to grow.

huntsfurfish
07-22-2016, 11:39 PM
2600+ views on this thread alone!

Nah, its not the internet.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

mclean
07-23-2016, 11:46 AM
2600+ views on this thread alone!

Nah, its not the internet.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Hey fellow, want to make a trip on the Old Man one of these days give me a call.

Rage.0
07-23-2016, 11:58 AM
I thought I posted this on here already but if you want to catch perch with your kids just take them to the Vegreville trout pond.