PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Regulation Questions

Roderek
05-26-2016, 04:56 PM
Hi,

My kids and I are new to fishing and honestly the regulations are insanely hard to decipher, I am not sure what the point of the map is you can’t see anything and even online it’s not interactive so it is very difficult to determine exactly what is what.
So I have a few questions that I am hoping you guys can help me out with, I have called the fish and wildlife offices in the books but always get a machine, I have never been able to talk to someone specific.

I am planning on going to spray lakes on the weekend the regulations say. It is open year round so I am good to fish anywhere on the lake is my understanding.
Spray lake Reservoir tributaries are open June 16-August 31st – based on the regulations my understanding of this is any river or stream that empties into a lake or reservoir or larger stream – so my questions are.

If the reservoir is upstream can I fish that?
Can I fish where the river enters the reservoir as long as I am fishing inside the reservoir?

We always catch and release so I have been pinching barbs on hooks so I am not sure it matters but, I saw a sign somewhere that said all hooks must be barbless in Alberta, but I don’t see where that is in the regulations anywhere, I thought it would be in the Province Wide regs but I don’t see it in that section either.
So do all barbs need to be pinched in Alberta?

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully answer my questions

DiabeticKripple
05-26-2016, 05:37 PM
For your first question, if you were standing on the bank of the reservoir and casting into the reservoir right at the tributary, you would be legal.

And barbs do NOT need to be pinched anymore

Bemoredog
05-26-2016, 05:40 PM
This is a really common one I'm finding...

Barbs do not have to be pinched in Alberta. It's probably an old sign or just some yahoo put it up. It used to be the case that no barbs were allowed. It was redacted because it created numerous issues and negligible benefit (so I've heard).

Again. Barbed hooks are perfectly legal in Alberta.

You can fish right up to the tributaries. Just don't cast into them. If there are special setbacks for the tributaries it will say in the regs and it doesn't mention anything.

I do believe you need to stay 25m from man made structures though, so that would include the dam and inlets. I'm hoping a more knowledgeable member can chime in on this.

Roderek
05-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the responses