PDA

View Full Version : Sandy lake north of calling

capper
05-27-2016, 02:42 PM
Hey does anyone have any info on sandy lake or pelican lake north of calling. I wanted to try some new lakes but couldn't find much for info on either the lakes. No spots needed just wondering if there was a boat launch and if it's worth spending some time exploring.

Safety D
05-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Big big gators in Sandy

Warmbreeze
05-27-2016, 04:20 PM
I am pretty sure Pelican does not have fish as I have heard it is very shallow. I have heard about the "big gators" at Sandy before. I've tried it a few times over the past number years with little to no luck. It also supposedly had big walleye but locals tell me that both are long gone. :( The Fish and Game were there trying to catch people snaring fish. Told me they are closing it for pike as its collapsed. Nevertheless I spent a solid day and had one 2lb jack.
They have a nice dock but the launch sucks. Chipped my prop up pretty bad trying to load boat back on trailer. If your in that area try Wabasca or Rock Island. Both of those have beautiful fish and Rock Island seems to be often overlooked.

Walleye101
05-27-2016, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't waste your time at Rock Island.

Safety D
05-28-2016, 06:23 AM
North Wabby all the way its really good ... wish I could make it up there again

Drewski Canuck
05-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Rock Island will have the usual 20 nets in this weekend again. Gets tiring seeing the big jacks and whites being taken by the boatload. mesh size is pretty big, so not many walleye in their nets. calling doesn't open to June 1, so this is a the alternative. Water is always really dark in the spring as well from the muskegs.

These are the old guys fishing who want the jacks and the whites. Not the young guys trying to sell fish.

You might try and get into Orloff as an alternative. There is a way in from the north side for quads and side by sides. I have not run it, just talked to the guys loading up and seeing some decent fish. they pull in a small car topper on a trailer, and its not more than 15 Km from the highway from that way.

Drewski

capper
05-28-2016, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys, I've never fished orloff so I might give it a try. surprised to hear that about rock island. I was there for opening day and caught some decent pike and 12 lb burbot and i don't think there was any nets in at that time. Really disappointing to hear about the amount of netting.

capper
06-05-2016, 08:05 AM
Went to sandy yesterday, the wind was blowing strong so we didn't explore as much as we wanted and fishing was slow. Caught a few keepers but it was a tough lake for us to fish. The lake is super shallow with very little structure. We stayed around 200yrds off shore in about 4-8 ft zig zagging over the weed line. Deepest part we found was 13ft but that was in the middle. no one else was on the lake which doesn't surprise me. We probably won't be back but I'm sure there is some nice fish lurking around. FYI boat launch depth is about 1.5ft. I have 17ft Lund so not a big deal but the water wasn't even deep enough to submerge the back rollers.

deercamp
06-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Have had Great success at rock island, beautiful walleyes in there