PDA

View Full Version : Lakes with some "shelter"

CurtisV.
05-30-2016, 09:15 AM
Curious if anyone has recommendations on lakes
In southern end, that are sheltered, treed shoreline, better to hit up on windy days??
Using a kayak, and winds out here obviously get a bit CRAZY.
Looking for more sheltered lakes south of Calgary, as I'm in Lethbridge.
Thanks for any input.

idaman
05-30-2016, 09:23 AM
Watch the forecast closely and pick lake that has a island or bays that will protect you from that days wind direction....
I have a few lake up North that I head to when the winds are high, usually a look for islands.

waterninja
05-30-2016, 10:47 AM
Shelter is a good point Curtis. I go onto some large lakes and also small trout lakes on my canoe. Things can get very scary very quickly if a strong wind comes up. I also try to find islands that i can hide behind in, just in case. Some of the ponds around here have a natural "wind wall" of trees growing around them.
I also have several spots on the NSR, so that the wind is always to my back. If its raining you can always stand under the bridge and stay dry while fishing.

TROLLER
05-30-2016, 11:04 AM
Not a lot of help because a lot if not most of the reservoirs were dug facing west to east.

the best you can do when the wind comes up is stay in close to shore or find a bay The west wind will blow as you know sometimes for a few days non stop, that is when we should all be careful about going out on the water.