PDA

View Full Version : Boat covers?

Kurt505
05-30-2016, 06:55 PM
I read the thread about custom travel covers and called up Allfab, got a quote for $900. I was hoping to get something in the $400-$500 range for a travel cover, problem is my trolling motor. Does anyone run a universal cover with a bow mount trolling motor still attached? If so what kind and how? I'm looking for a cheaper option than $900 if possible.

curtis_rak
05-30-2016, 07:03 PM
Here is a generic travel cover on my 20' boat. My Motorguide trolling motor is mounted to the front. I will try and dig up the make/brand of the cover when I get home.... But it's not an expensive one.

This cover actually fits well, but My main complaint with this cover is that it balloons on the highway. I have minimized it a fair bit by adding a round vent near the middle of the cover. I'm going to add a second one and hopefully it will stop the ballooning. That's the crappy part about a generic cover.... But they are way cheaper

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/398ec105daca0dddc3b50c9d42c85343.jpg

gmcmax05
05-30-2016, 07:24 PM
If you want a nice fitting cover you should get a custom made cover that snaps in place. Those generic covers that are held on with straps are crap, & the covers have a hole rubbed thru in a season or 2 from flapping in the wind. You get what you pay for, & a $400 cover isn't going to last long, I paid $1200 for mine on a 18' Lund.

curtis_rak
05-30-2016, 07:31 PM
If you want a nice fitting cover you should get a custom made cover that snaps in place. Those generic covers that are held on with straps are crap, & the covers have a hole rubbed thru in a season or 2 from flapping in the wind. You get what you pay for, & a $400 cover isn't going to last long, I paid $1200 for mine on a 18' Lund.

You're bang on. My last boat had a fitted snap on cover and I miss it dearly....

diamond k
05-30-2016, 08:00 PM
Here is a generic travel cover on my 20' boat. My Motorguide trolling motor is mounted to the front. I will try and dig up the make/brand of the cover when I get home.... But it's not an expensive one.

This cover actually fits well, but My main complaint with this cover is that it balloons on the highway. I have minimized it a fair bit by adding a round vent near the middle of the cover. I'm going to add a second one and hopefully it will stop the ballooning. That's the crappy part about a generic cover.... But they are way cheaper

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/398ec105daca0dddc3b50c9d42c85343.jpg

If you don't mind where did you find the vents. I have been looking but the only place I have found is online at Overtons.

old dog
05-30-2016, 08:07 PM
Canvasmart made my custom tarp which covers in the electric trolling motor Took the boat there and couple days later all done. Reenforced in corners and ware areas. 650$ three years ago

curtis_rak
05-30-2016, 08:11 PM
If you don't mind where did you find the vents. I have been looking but the only place I have found is online at Overtons.

I bought them online. I think I paid $30 shipped if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurt505
05-30-2016, 09:27 PM
Canvasmart made my custom tarp which covers in the electric trolling motor Took the boat there and couple days later all done. Reenforced in corners and ware areas. 650$ three years ago

I would definitely spend $650 on a custom fit, was it a snap on?

old dog
05-31-2016, 09:39 AM
No but they will do what ever you want

EZM
05-31-2016, 10:17 AM
Snaps are better than straps (or bungee cords) for sure - but snaps still do break apart every once in a while.

Bungee cords can scratch your boat and allow to much ballooning to occur which can tear your cover. Ropes or straps get loose (stretch) and cause ballooning as well and can be a pain in the but to untie if they get really tight.

I'd say Snaps would be the best choice with a custom cover if you can swing that in your budget.

I would also get a repair kit - I bought a snap install tool and it's good to keep in the glove box as it seems the snaps come apart in the middle of long road trips.

https://www.amazon.ca/Seasense-Fastener-Snap-73-Piece-Tool/dp/B004XAEE0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464710645&sr=8-1&keywords=canvas+snap+tool

The new Lund/Crestliner fitted covers now have "J hooks" that slide into place on the groove in the rail - so no more broken snaps yet you still get a tight custom fit travel cover.