PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Calgary on Thursday/Advice Please

waterninja
05-31-2016, 02:45 PM
Hi all. I have to be in Calgary at 8:30 AM on Thur. June 2nd and then have 3 hours or so to kill before going to Calgary Airport. Figured I might as well do some fishing in those 3 hours. I will be on the S.west part of Calgary near Deerfoot trail. I haven't fished the Bow in 20 yrs. and would like some advise.
Can you still fish by the off leash park not far from cement plant? Any other good spots I should go to? I will be using spin caster. Is bait legal? Pic Rig with worms? Is it even open on June 2nd? Any tips on the which little raps to use? Any help or advice will be appreciated. IF someone wants to join me, let me know. Who knows, someday you might need some tips about the NSR.
Yes I plan to look at regs also, but can learn more on here in my opnion. Thanks.

Bemoredog
05-31-2016, 03:51 PM
Would love to join you but I'm stuck at work. No bait until August and then it's only maggots.

I believe all sections of the Bow, excluding tributaries, are open. Be mindful of the keep back from weirs. From the regs:

Fishing is prohibited by any method within 23 metres downstream of the lower entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles.

I've heard that Rapala's (floating and countdowns, around 4 to 5 inches) work well. Brown, brook and rainbow trout patterns. Nymphs and streamers too, not sure what patterns. Check this page for more detail around patterns. http://www.countrypleasures.com/river_reports.php

In my experience fly fishing with spinning gear is best achieved with a sliding weighted float or bubble float. Heard of some folks using three way swivels or bottom bouncers. Not sure how you would cast a three way without creating a huge mess, but I'm sure some people can pull it off.

fishyfish
05-31-2016, 05:17 PM
There are probably other spots and especially if you've been here before you will know. I parked at Carburn park the other day and I followed the path towards the ponds which led to the bow river. It looked like a good spot for shore fishing, I'm going to try it out tomorrow, possibly. I was told that a buzz bomb lure is good for bow trout.

DiabeticKripple
05-31-2016, 05:56 PM
rapala f9's in brown trout or rainbow work well. no bait allowed. the whole river is open starting tomorrow.

from Bearspaw Dam downstream to Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir (including the Elbow River below Glenmore Reservoir).
CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30
June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.
from the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes 500 m of the Highwood River and the 3 Carburn Park Ponds) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year.
Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.

waterninja
06-01-2016, 02:04 AM
Thanks guys.