PDA

View Full Version : Wizard/Wabamum lake?

alpikes
03-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi,

Took my daughter out to Wizard last Sunday hoping to get some fishing pictures for her grade 2 show-and-tell . Spent 3 hours in front of Jubilee camping site and never got nothing. Heard this lake has easy fishing for kids. Anyhow, try to make up to her again tomorrow since the weather is nice. Is there a better spot at this lake that anyone can guide me to? Hope to get few pictures this time. Also, seen on another post indicating Wabamum is easy for kids as well? I tried at Betula beach a while back but had to walk a long way on the ice. Never tried at Seba beach before but is it easier here? And what is a good set up? I used a yellow diamond spoon with a smelt last time. Any pointers is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mooseknuckle
03-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah wabumun is hot i had a very similar set up. with my little one and we caught lots. either near seba or north of kaspiwin near the golf course. little walking involvec if your not 4x4 but hey exercise is good. even forgot my auger and there were plenty of folks willing to help out with a few holes

alpikes
03-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks Mooseknuckle.

Will try Wabamum tomorrow. Where is Kaspiwin? I couldn't find it on the google map. Could it be Kapasiwin? I see Seba beach so maybe try here since I could map the drive out there from west Edmonton. Is there a turn off to Seba beach from going south on hw 759? And is in front of the lake entrance and how far from the shore is a spot to fish? Thanks again.

MagnumMan
03-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Put an anchovie on a quick strike rig, and keep it off the bottom 6 inches..Plenty of 2-4 lb pike in that lake, i would be shocked if you had no action with this set up... Don't go out too far from shore 35 -50 yards...

Deano
03-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi,

Took my daughter out to Wizard last Sunday hoping to get some fishing pictures for her grade 2 show-and-tell . Spent 3 hours in front of Jubilee camping site and never got nothing. Heard this lake has easy fishing for kids. Anyhow, try to make up to her again tomorrow since the weather is nice. Is there a better spot at this lake that anyone can guide me to? Hope to get few pictures this time. Also, seen on another post indicating Wabamum is easy for kids as well? I tried at Betula beach a while back but had to walk a long way on the ice. Never tried at Seba beach before but is it easier here? And what is a good set up? I used a yellow diamond spoon with a smelt last time. Any pointers is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have an underwater camera Alpikes? It is fabulous for kids, keeps them very entertained. If you don't have one I could let you use mine for a day. I took a friends son fishing last week and he loved watching the camera. It is awesome for kids. Let me know if this interests you.

Deano

alpikes
03-07-2009, 08:49 AM
It's snowing hard outside but the little one insist to go. So we'll try Wizard again since it's close to town. Hope we won't stuck in the snow. Just wondering if the fishes do bite when it's snowing.

Thanks for the offer, Deano. That's awesome. Please let me know when and where you'll go again and I'll be there.

Seen on the other post, there is a good gathering at Coal tomorrow. But the weather will be quite chill for the little one to be outside. If it's getting better, hope to be there and learn few tips on ice fishing from the group.

bunnyhunter
03-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Put an anchovie on a quick strike rig, and keep it off the bottom 6 inches..Plenty of 2-4 lb pike in that lake, i would be shocked if you had no action with this set up... Don't go out too far from shore 35 -50 yards...

actually I go out about 100 yards, and get the big girls:D.....and the odd burbot....but thats the rebel in me....there are more hammerhandles in close to shore, AND more action however, for the kids.

Bear Ballz
03-07-2009, 12:36 PM
fished 6-30' in Wizard 6 times this year caught piles but only hammer handles, they wouldn't even take the 6" and bigger bait. Only the 4" smelts were getting hit. Biggest fish was maybe 4lbs. But the action for kids was awesome on the tip ups

bunnyhunter
03-07-2009, 01:26 PM
guess its all different....I found some days they liked wee 4 inch smelts in half...other days they loved only 6 inch sardines with their guts hanging out....:sick:

and last week my marmish rod was almost ripped out of my hand when i lowered a maggot down for perch!! the pike spat it out lol

Triple droptine
03-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Is there many perch in Wizard?

I took my 2 1/2 year old out to Wizard on Wednesday for his first time fishing and we had a ball. Caught 5 small pike and seen a bunch on the camera. We were about 30 yards from shore just down from the campsite, almost at the next entrance on the lake.

Probably a dumb question but what does a quick strike rig look like?

Morph1
03-07-2009, 03:11 PM
If you're going to Wizard lake try the other end of the lake, you take a turn off of the highway same as to Jubilee Park except drive straight for about 2 miles and you should see access to the lake on your left.
I've been there in the summer caught lots of pike some were keeper size
also seen some burbot there and some nice perch.

bunnyhunter
03-07-2009, 06:19 PM
https://www.thefishinhole.com/imagesProducts/small/1117290.jpg

pretty much it! quick strike..I use single hook quick strikes, too.

I havent tried the far West end side, but have heard of bigger fish there, at least in summer...perch and pike. As for perch the ones I have caught werent keepers.

alpikes
03-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Couldn't make it to Wizard yesterday. Went as far as Nisku and had to turn back. The driving was terrible with all the snowing/wind. Promised my disappointed daughter to take her back. It's windy today so we'll try again next week end. Thanks for all the tips so far.

Last time there, I was almost at the same spot of Triple Droptine's but didn't get any bites. Maybe the set up? I hooked a 6" smelt on a spoon. Is there other and better way? I tried without the spoon but the bait kept floating, would go down. And I used a single barbless hook (at the middle of the smelt)but kept loosing the bait, maybe from too much jiggings. Again, thanks in advance for your pointers.

Fishin' Fool
03-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I've been out twice to Wizard this year. Both times were right by Jubilee at the first little point to the right of the launch. I did okay with the hammer handles using a bucktail jig and minnow and my daughter caught her first pike through the ice on a bunny zonker(goofy name, I know) and minnow.

Does anyone know if there are any springs at the other end of the lake? I was last there probably 15 or more years ago and we got spooked off of the lake. We'd been fishing for a few hours and my bud went to answer nature's call. He walked maybe 10 feet from the tent and his foot sank through the snow and kept on going. Luckily he was walking slowly and only got one wet foot. We didn't investigate, just packed up and got the heck off the lake.

FF

Bear Ballz
03-08-2009, 03:24 PM
the locals claim the lake is full of them from end to end, I don't know what to tell yah. I guess a person takes their chances and hopes for the best :)

Triple droptine
03-08-2009, 03:56 PM
One of the previous threads on Wizard said that there were a lot of gas pockets , especially west of the power lines and you had to be careful. Kind of spooked me from going on the other end.