PDA

View Full Version : My Prince Rupert trip

jungleboy
06-01-2016, 04:06 PM
So we are home from our first ever fishing trip on salt water . We went for just a one day trip and we were out there from 6am till 5pm on the 30th. It was a pretty slow day and I could tell the poor guide was stressing a little because he wanted to put us on the fish so badly. We did hook one Halibut but I lost it partly (Mostly) due to inexperience .That was my big chance on the day . We did catch a dozen or more Rock Cod and we kept some of those .
Honestly I was not really disappointed in the day and neither was Wifey . It was an amazing trip and the guide went over and above to get us some action. At one point he was unhooking a small Rock cod and tossed it behind the boat. An Eagle swooped in within feet of the boat and grabbed it. I couldn't get the camera on him fast enough but that was pretty amazing to see.
We went out with Ocean star charters and they were great I will book another trip with them again with the hopes of getting the same guide.
It was funny after we got to our room he called me and want to meet me out front of the hotel ,I went down and he handed me a "care package" he called it and it was a large grocery bag full of frozen halibut and salmon from his own personal freezer stock lol. He was more concerned about us going home empty handed than I was .
All in all it was a wonderful experience I will go back for more but I would love to take my own boat there as well, if for no other reason than to explore some of the inside water. I would love to catch some of those rock cod again only on light tackle.

Vigsy
06-01-2016, 04:09 PM
That's awesome to hear! those kinds of actions make it pretty easy to book again! kudos to that guide!

KWO
06-01-2016, 06:29 PM
Been on 2 Rupert fishing trips - they were both great!

trigger7mm
06-01-2016, 06:33 PM
Good on him for doing that for you. There are some great guides out there, which is nice to see.

Blastoff
06-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Well that was nice of him, hope you have better luck next time

Tofinoguy
06-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Maybe try a different area next time?:thinking-006:

Talking moose
06-01-2016, 07:15 PM
That's fishing. Sounds like a great guide though.

KegRiver
06-01-2016, 07:16 PM
We go every year and have been doing so for a while. We have our own boats so we don't hire guides but for a first timer it is well worth the money.

I would add, if a day is all you have, so be it, but if at all possible four days or more make for a much better trip.

We've had some great trips but the last two didn't go so well. Two years ago both boats gave us grief and last year we only had one boat and the motor locked up on the way out. We had to use the trawling motor to get back to port and spent the rest of the trip close to port trapping Crabs and fishing.

We caught our limit of Dungeness Crab and a few fish but nothing exciting.
Still, it was an awesome trip. I'm hoping we go again this year but I'm not sure what's happening. The boats belong to my kid brother and BIL so it's up to them if we go or not and so far they aren't saying.

I have the time but not the money so I'm dependent on them. It's a huge blessing to have the opportunity. I'd never make it on my own.

It's a trip of a lifetime.

jungleboy
06-01-2016, 07:57 PM
We go every year and have been doing so for a while. We have our own boats so we don't hire guides but for a first timer it is well worth the money.

I would add, if a day is all you have, so be it, but if at all possible four days or more make for a much better trip.

We've had some great trips but the last two didn't go so well. Two years ago both boats gave us grief and last year we only had one boat and the motor locked up on the way out. We had to use the trawling motor to get back to port and spent the rest of the trip close to port trapping Crabs and fishing.

We caught our limit of Dungeness Crab and a few fish but nothing exciting.
Still, it was an awesome trip. I'm hoping we go again this year but I'm not sure what's happening. The boats belong to my kid brother and BIL so it's up to them if we go or not and so far they aren't saying.

I have the time but not the money so I'm dependent on them. It's a huge blessing to have the opportunity. I'd never make it on my own.

It's a trip of a lifetime.

I would have loved to do more than a day ,but unfortunately the budget wouldn't allow for that . That's why I think I would like to take my own boat just for some extra action around the inside water.
I have this plan though in the back of my mind to build a boat that will handle the rougher water. My current boat is a 15ft open aluminum with a 25hp .It's funny how a trip like this opens up a whole new set of ideas in a mans head .I have been knocking around the thought of building a boat for a while now and I think I will pursue it,only perhaps on a little larger scale.

Sea Hawk
06-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Nice that you enjoyed your trip. Maybe someday you can do a trip with your own boat but ypu may want to consider trying river fishing until then.

jungleboy
06-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Nice that you enjoyed your trip. Maybe someday you can do a trip with your own boat but ypu may want to consider trying river fishing until then.

why do you say that? River is nice but I love being on a boat.

Sea Hawk
06-01-2016, 10:58 PM
I agree but in my case,i could not afford my own boat or the cost of charter more than one day a year so i spent about ten years fishing the rivers. I much prefer fishing the ocean in my own boat but before i got a boat fishing the rivers was better than not getting out at all.