PDA

View Full Version : McLeod (Carson) Lake

KDderAngler
06-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm planning a trip to the Carson Pegasus campground up by whitecourt and I'm wondering if anyone knows how good the trout fishing is there and what they are biting on. Would be nice to get my 4 year old on some fish, we'll be fishing from shore. I have never really fished for trout so any tips are appreciated.
Thank you in advance

leeaspell
06-03-2016, 09:22 PM
I was out there Wednesday evening fishing from shore, had one bite. Didn't feel so bad because nobody else seemed to be catching any thing, even the few guys kit in boats and kayaks. But, my cousin was there on Thursday trolling a willow leaf and caught 12 in the afternoon.

leeaspell
06-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Side note, Schumann seems to be booming lately bit a buddy kg mine said they stocked it a few days ago and now you can't catch anything worth keeping

fishman
06-04-2016, 12:21 PM
I don't mean sound negative but they stock 500,000 fish a year if u can't can't catch a fish , then the fishing gods are against you. I lived in whitecourt for 40 years and don't ever remember not catching fish on that lake
The biggest thing is find the drop offs as long as u r in 10 feet of water there is fish there There is better producing parts of the lake
You are using gear or fly
Flys to use
Green black Woolley bugger
52 Buick
Shrimp patterns
Dragonfly nymph
Dames fly nymph
Pheasant tail or a hares ears
Black bunny leach
Black white minnow patterns

Or if u r using a flatfish a f8 perch scale
Use 8 or 6 pound test line
If u r using a spinning reel tie a swivel on then 5 or 6 feet of fluorocarbon line
That should catch u fish Don't troll straight turn back and forth

Deep
06-04-2016, 02:05 PM
Yep, totally agree with you Fishman. The main difference is smaller fish being caught after stocking. I have experienced over 30 yrs on this lake. Boating-at a slow troll is the most successful catching technique. I can only suggest looking at other shore fishermens techniques.

KDderAngler
08-01-2016, 06:46 AM
Does anyone know how much the boat rentals are at the campground?

srin50
08-01-2016, 03:51 PM
Yes Carson rents boats ...but beware the cost is pretty high
200.00/day
35.00/ hour
as of July 2016