PDA

View Full Version : Boat stations and a question

Girlsfishtoo
06-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Hey guys got a question I haul a 12ft boat upside down on a rack with a plug that's been in there since I bought it, do I have to pull this out now!? And will they want to inspect it on the ground And are these stations everywhere do they give papers to know you've been through one and will fish and wildlife question me on this how do I proved ive been checked thanks

diamond k
06-08-2016, 10:48 PM
I would hope that a boat upside down and no chance of water or invasive species transfer would have common sense prevail. I won't hold my breath but let us know what happens when the situation occurs

Sooner
06-08-2016, 11:13 PM
I've been wondering too as I also carry a 12 ft upside down on a rack. How will the dog get up there to sniff. That's gonna add some real PIA time if we have to pull it down for the check. Dads drain plug has been seized in for years lol.

diamond k
06-09-2016, 10:39 AM
Jet

No disrespect but everything your preaching as gospel is only speculation until we have some evidence of it occurring. Not saying we should not be aware of the situation and act accordingly but causing fear mongering over situations that have not occurred is not helping either.

Sooner
06-09-2016, 02:36 PM
One way to approach that one would be to claim you're unable to get it down and suggest they get it down themselves. A good chance they couldn't be bothered, but according to the law you have to assist or you can be fined, so it could go either way.

Drain plug will likely net you a decontamination (in which case it's coming down), quarantine or fine.

New plug it is :) My saving grace is there will be a sled deck so that should give them and a dog a platform to do what they want i guess.

Good info, thanks

burbotman
06-09-2016, 07:22 PM
I have been through 2 check stations with my 10 foot Jon boat upside down on a truck rack. Plug in and I did not have to take it down. Maybe commen sense does prevail, maybe not all the time but some times

Buckhead
06-09-2016, 07:47 PM
If you talk to them in a reasonable manner they are not a problem.
If they ask and you explain that you turn the boat upside down to drain and dry it, they will not give you any problem.

I have been thru their checks many times and had nary a problem.

They are looking for bilges and livewells that are not drained that may carry organisms or species that are foreign to Alberta.

And best to not have any weeds hanging off your boat or trailer.

millsboy79
06-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Jet

No disrespect but everything your preaching as gospel is only speculation until we have some evidence of it occurring. Not saying we should not be aware of the situation and act accordingly but causing fear mongering over situations that have not occurred is not helping either.

If a fellow member trying to warn people about new laws is "fear mongering" then you do not really know the meaning of the word.

I am sure every single person reading this forum has heard about a cop that seemed a little over zealous when enforcing speeding tickets, and we all know that you can't simply say well I didn't know ... or everyone else is also speeding.

If the law is that you need to take the plug out ... just take it out, OR not complain when you get your ticket ... even if the first three times through an inspection station you didn't get a ticket.

dragon
06-10-2016, 10:54 AM
Does anyone know if they make a trailer that I can carry my 20ft pontoon upside down to avoid inspections?