PDA

View Full Version : Beginner fishing questions

Roderek
06-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Hi,

My kids and I are fairly new to fishing and I have a few questions about rig set ups, currently we spin cast. I have been spending a lot of time on the internet looking on how to set up my line, but I have a couple of questions I apologize in advance as these are probably NOOB questions.

1. Should I always use a leader?
2. Can I put a snap swivel on the end of my leader, or should all my spoons/spinners have a leader attached to them to attach to the snap swivel?
3. Any lures/hooks etc that I should defiantly have in my tackle box for Alberta?
4. What is the best tool to get a hook out?
5. This is more for confirmation, but Soft plastics are not actually considered bait correct?

I tried fishing the Bow a couple of times this last week from shore, once out by Cochrane, and once down in Fishcreek by sicome, so far no luck.

1. How do I determine what size Lure to use?
2. What type of weight works best to get my spoon or spinner down deeper in the water, they kept coming back near the top due to rapids.
3. How should I put the weights on to ensure proper presentation?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read, and respond. I will probably have some more questions later.

millsboy79
06-08-2016, 06:31 PM
The ponds in crossfield are stocked as well.

I had good luck there will the tiny powerbait worms (chartreuse or bubblegum) on a tiny egg hook with an in line bobber (smallest I could find)

Spoons for pike at chestermere but will have to be pretty good little casters to get out to them.
And you would want a leader, either a wire or heavy fluorocarbon leader material.

As stated you will want some way to remove hooks and if you do go for the pike a jaw spreader will save your hands from the teeth.

Best of luck

Big Red 250
06-08-2016, 10:05 PM
4. Needle nose pliers in a large size.

Deep
06-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Keep a few small panther martin spinners handy- catch many species. A float (the one that you can add weight by filling with some water) with a few feet of leader attached to a green or black leech is very effective for trout also. Good luck.

bradcgm
06-09-2016, 10:06 AM
1. You don't always need a leader just if they are toothy critters. EX: Pike but not needed for trout.

2. When I spin cast I usually just tie on the leader and just use that but if I am not using a leader then Most times I will tie on a snap swivel.

3. Best lure I have used in the bow is Panther Martin spinners for trout, for pike my go to is a size 0 Len Thompson Spoon usually five of diamonds.

4. A good pair of long needle nose pliers, single hooks are a heck of a lot easier to get out. For pike, as suggested already jaw spreaders can be a finger saver and I like to carry hand held bolt cutters as well. If they have taken it too far and the hook is too deep and risk ripping out their insides then its nice to be able to just cut the tip of the hook and be able to get the lure back. For this reason I changed all of the treble hooks on my spoons to larger singles, as pike take the all or nothing approach on a shiny meal.

5. As Jet Stated above.

1. If the lure is bigger than the fish in the river, good chances are its too big. :sHa_sarcasticlol:
Seriously its mostly a judgement call on the size you like to use. Bigger= more weight which helps it sink/ Smaller= too light might not cast as far.

2. Play with different sizes of splitshot and other weights and you will get find what works for you. Try casting a little upstream and retrieving across the stream.

3. Don't really have advise on this one as I don't usually add too much weight.:sHa_shakeshout:

lds
06-09-2016, 12:59 PM
If your on the bow or any trout water line thickness is important. I never use bigger than 8 lbs for trout. They just spook too easy. If you are rigged with heavier line just tie a 10' piece of light line on the end. You can also use heavy line as a leader for pike instead of steel leaders. Lure size for pike you can never go too big. At least I've never found something that is. As for trout you can never go too small. I like spinners for trout and spoons for pike.

lds
06-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Also for getting deeper you don't always need weight. A lot depends on where you cast and how you retrieve. Do some reading on how to read a river. That's the biggest thing. If you're not casting where the fish are they aren't gonna get hooked

Deep
06-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Whenever you need a swivel- always use ball bearing type as the others do not work nearly as well. Prevention of line tangling ensures a more enjoyable fishing experience.

Roderek
06-09-2016, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

any tips on jigging, I am guessing my presentation is not good I have never caught anything on a jig.

millsboy79
06-09-2016, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

any tips on jigging, I am guessing my presentation is not good I have never caught anything on a jig.
Learn a Rapala knot (if you haven't already)

No snaps for a jigs.

Roderek
06-17-2016, 03:43 PM
Caught this in the Bow last night, sorry not a great photo, still not an expert and getting hooks out, wanted to get him in the water ASAP.

scel
06-17-2016, 05:44 PM
Caught this in the Bow last night, sorry not a great photo, still not an expert and getting hooks out, wanted to get him in the water ASAP.

Wow. Beginner's luck. They do not get much nicer than that! :)

It takes practice to get trebles out. It is not law, but I would recommend pinching the barbs on your treble hooks when fishing catch-n-release waters (like the Bow)---at least until you get the hang of how you need to torque the hook to remove it. I do not pinch my barbs on my jigs or small flies, but i find I do on all my trebles regardless of catch-n-release. You will really appreciate it if you ever plant 2/3 hooks into your finger.

Roderek
06-17-2016, 06:28 PM
We actually had 5 fish in about an hour, unfortunately the first 3 didnt make it to shore.

My son got one a similar size.

I do pinch all barbs, i was actually thinking of replacing the trebles with single hooks. Is that going to be a mistake?