PDA

View Full Version : Scotty downriggers

slingshot
06-10-2016, 02:07 PM
I'm looking for some info on the preferred Scotty to use on the west coast. I'll be running minimum of 12 lb weight.All info will be appreciated with pros and cons please

Stufferdog
06-10-2016, 09:59 PM
Best brand out there! To answer your question, ANY/EVERY scotty downrigger will work on the west coast! I prefer the electric over manual crank. Digital and moisture never mixes well! Regardless, cant beat Scotties warranty:)

Sea Hawk
06-10-2016, 10:45 PM
I used manual downriggers for one trip to tne coast. It was a good year for pinks and they were hitting my anchovies non stop. Long story short i showed up next year with electric downriggers. I do not know if the newer digital downriggers that scotty sells are worth the extra dough. I have the older version and they have been great.

surhuntsalot
06-11-2016, 08:54 AM
I run a pair of Scotty 2106b High Preformance Downriggers. I absolutely love them. They are super fast, and a 12lb weight is about the lightest Recomended. The braided line eliminates wire hum, and electrolysis. They are about $150 more than the standard model, and occasionally the digital line counter will die. Lifetime warranty, so Scotty will send you a new one if it does, but for $30 it pays to keep a spare counter. I had Cannon Mag 20's before, but definitely prefer the Scotty HP's...

Scott h
06-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Scotties are definitely the number 1 down rigger out here. I've got electrics (don't know the model #) and I have manuals. I keep a manual spare under the front deck but don't use it unless I have an issue with one of the electrics (although they work great and are a VERY GOOD option if you only go out to the coast a couple times a year).
I have had issues with depth counters, electric switch's, and lots of line tangles under the spools, but they are very easy to take apart if you have issues. The lifetime warranty is worth it's weight in gold. Make sure to have line stops on your line and remember to check there positions especially if you end up running braided line (most guys use it) cause they slip easily and then the auto stop won't work and bang the sh%t out of your rigger. I find most issues occur when new guys are on the boat and are not really familiar with the gear.

Sitkaspruce
06-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Best there is!! Simple to work, easy to fix if needed and best warranty in the business.

Usually find a few for sale here as folks upgrade or sell/buy boats.

www.sportfishingbc.com/

Lots of good hints on how to set them up on your boat, tricks to wiring them up and what works and what doesn't.

Cheers

SS

-JR-
06-11-2016, 02:10 PM
Are Cannon not life time warrenty all so ?

Scott h
06-11-2016, 06:42 PM
Are Cannon not life time warrenty all so ?

They might, I'm not sure but Scotty has a ton of "depots" on the coast if you have a problem, just drop them off for repair work. Also pretty much any little shop/hardware store out on the coast sells many of the bits that might break so you can get it up and running yourself if you are on a trip.

big bore 09
06-11-2016, 10:18 PM
and scotty is a canadian company

Salmon Slayer Lenny
06-16-2016, 09:04 AM
Best bang for your buck would be the 1106's, they have the extendable 60" boom if needed. Unless you're always fishing in less than 100' of water, I'd go with 15# balls.

Also, your best bet is to purchase on Vancouver Island or the Lower mainland, it will save you $100-$150 over anything in Alberta. Do some research, that's $200-300 for a pair and is worth it.