PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon fishing in the SSR

Pondfisher14
06-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Hi, I have been fishing in the south sask river for sturgeon and I am wondering what anyone out there would use to only target sturgeon, such as rigs, bait etc. I have been using a pickerel rig with worms and minnows but I have been catching a lot of suckers, gold eye and ciscos. Also pickerel rigs tend to break when a big sturgeon rolls up in the line. I tried the pike rig but didn't have much action. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance for any replies!

happyfisher
06-10-2016, 07:49 PM
i was just there.....search ssr....or happy fisher......they told me the best rig to use.....

millsboy79
06-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Hi, I have been fishing in the south sask river for sturgeon and I am wondering what anyone out there would use to only target sturgeon, such as rigs, bait etc. I have been using a pickerel rig with worms and minnows but I have been catching a lot of suckers, gold eye and ciscos. Also pickerel rigs tend to break when a big sturgeon rolls up in the line. I tried the pike rig but didn't have much action. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Good lord don't tell this group you have been using pickeral rigs in an attempt to target sturgeon.

I would research any species before you just chuck a line in the water. You need to make sure what you're fishing with is durable enough to actually land the beast you want to catch.

Pondfisher14
06-11-2016, 04:17 AM
Wow, little harsh. Haven't had any trouble considering I've landed 2 30+ pounders this season so far. All I was asking was some tips on how to only target sturgeon, and avoid suckers and goldeye.

Dale S
06-11-2016, 05:58 AM
The goldeye and suckers are thick this year. The water conditions are prime for the goldeye spawn. Seams to be a big run of them this year. As far a suckers, when your catching them you should catch sturgeon as well. The best way to avoid them is fishing in the dark. One hour before sunset and one hour after sunrise the goldeye stop biting. You'll catch the odd sucker in the dark but not many.
If your going to target sturgeon be sure your equipment can handle a 100lb. fish. Nothing worst than loosing a big fish because of equipment failure. A store bought p.rig will not hold up to a 100lb fish.

Marty S
06-12-2016, 07:53 AM
I don't fish sturgeon yet, but I would go with a 3 way swivel, short dropper to my weight and a hook off the back, something good like a gamakatsu. There are things you can use to keep the garbage off, a sturgeon vet told me his secret a couple weeks ago, but he might not want it posted on the internet! But it can be done.

Mitchthefisher
06-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Wow, little harsh. Haven't had any trouble considering I've landed 2 30+ pounders this season so far. All I was asking was some tips on how to only target sturgeon, and avoid suckers and goldeye.

Find a different spot with less garbage fish. Or try sucker belly as bait since the walleye and goldeye will struggle to pick it off your hook and the suckerfish will leave it alone.