PDA

View Full Version : Walleye and Pike

SHREKHUNTER
06-11-2016, 09:50 AM
Hey guys - I am going to be setting up camp at Payne lake a couple of weeks from now - my friend wants to do some trout fishing there

I want to do some Walleye and Pike fishing also - don't know the area at all

We have float tubes - no boat - is there somewhere around here we can go - throw spoons from shore, maybe some bobbers with leeches - or float tube in calmer water?

Thanks, Dean

Pudelpointer
06-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Closest walleye and pike fishery is going to be StMary reservoir, though your shore fishing options are going to be a bit limited.

Waterton Reservoir has pike (no walleye AFAIK) but we could find one for 7 hours of effort last weekend.

Personally, I would just go to Payne and enjoy the tiddler trout fishing.

Esox
06-11-2016, 11:09 AM
St Mary's is your best bet. Good mix of walleye pike and trout where it leaves the reservoir. Otherwise your closest would be keho or milk river ridge.

Pudelpointer
06-11-2016, 11:46 AM
St Mary's is your best bet. Good mix of walleye pike and trout where it leaves the reservoir. Otherwise your closest would be keho or milk river ridge.

Ridge is closed for Pike and there were 11 legal fish weighed at the SAWT tournament a couple weeks ago; for something like 1500+ man hours of concerted fishing effort. So, that's like 1 legal fish for every 136 hours of fishing. Probably not the best choice IMO.

Esox
06-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Ridge is closed for Pike and there were 11 legal fish weighed at the SAWT tournament a couple weeks ago; for something like 1500+ man hours of concerted fishing effort. So, that's like 1 legal fish for every 136 hours of fishing. Probably not the best choice IMO.

That is very true.

SHREKHUNTER
06-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Thanks Guys

Looks like we will concentrate on trout

Dean