PDA

View Full Version : Reusing "Dead" Bait

millsboy79
06-12-2016, 09:47 PM
I was out fishing today with some good size dead fish bait ... BUT the bite was not on and I came home with a large number of bait that I would rather not waste ... SO what are my options?

Since I do not intend to eat these bait is there any harm in refreezing them? Do I have to do something specific before I do so ... they are currently in my fridge but I would like to do something different with time by tomorrow night. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Talking moose
06-12-2016, 09:54 PM
Freezing and unfreezing minnows makes them go to mush. Maybe salt them.

Remi3006
06-12-2016, 10:28 PM
I've always found fresh bait produces more fish.... Just my opinion.

Sooner
06-12-2016, 10:35 PM

Can someone do a how to do salting for dummies post. I'll be the first dummy to read it lol

wildwoods
06-12-2016, 10:47 PM
Dump some salt on them and freeze them. It helps draw out moisture to prevent the mush. I always reuse Minnows with good results.

millsboy79
06-12-2016, 11:02 PM

They are not minnows

They are baby yellow tail, and keo fish

paulco
06-13-2016, 06:45 AM
If they are in good shape while fishing they refreeze fine. I keep mine on an ice pack when fishing

yetiseeker
06-13-2016, 08:54 AM
Use pickling salt (coarse salt with no iodine). Salt them, let them sit for a bit, then re-freeze until you need them.

Bemoredog
06-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Use pickling salt (coarse salt with no iodine). Salt them, let them sit for a bit, then re-freeze until you need them.

x2
I make a brine with ground sea salt and put the bait in that, swish around, let it sit for a 15 minutes or so, then drain and refreeze. Seems to work better than straight refreezing.

huntsfurfish
06-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Not sure if those fish are legal to use.

Are they?

Bemoredog
06-13-2016, 11:22 AM
Not sure if those fish are legal to use.

Are they?

What I'm reading isn't clear:

"Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.
NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the saltwater families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait."

It sounds like anything but Tullibee/Lake Herring are OK where a bait fish restriction is not in effect. If the fish are salt water fish it sounds like F&W doesn't really care; they seem more particular about fresh water baits (not sure why).

Talking moose
06-13-2016, 11:39 AM
What I'm reading isn't clear:

"Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.
NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the saltwater families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait."

It sounds like anything but Tullibee/Lake Herring are OK where a bait fish restriction is not in effect. If the fish are salt water fish it sounds like F&W doesn't really care; they seem more particular about fresh water baits (not sure why).
Probably because salt water fish would never take hold in a freshwater environment so no worries about invasive introductions. My guess.

Mitchthefisher
06-13-2016, 11:39 AM
I personally always use fresh bait. Seems to work better.

Bemoredog
06-13-2016, 12:28 PM
I personally always use fresh bait. Seems to work better.

What do people mean "fresh bait"? The only bait I've ever seen is always frozen (aside from live crawlers, worms, leeches, etc.).

Do they mean only frozen once or never frozen? If the latter, do you guys catch your own bait?

VanIsleGuy
06-13-2016, 12:45 PM
Probably because salt water fish would never take hold in a freshwater environment so no worries about invasive introductions. My guess.

I believe it is because Cisco has a possession limit and is considered a game fish.

Talking moose
06-13-2016, 12:46 PM
I believe it is because Cisco has a possession limit and is considered a game fish.

Good point.

huntsfurfish
06-13-2016, 01:53 PM
The Keo could be or should be of concern.

millsboy79
06-13-2016, 02:36 PM
They are not on any list currently in the regulations or I wouldn't have bought them.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

wildwoods
06-13-2016, 04:19 PM
They are not on any list currently in the regulations or I wouldn't have bought them.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thats a small problem with this forum. Ask a simple question and get the ethics police on ya like white on rice. Salt em and freeze em. I don't really care about species and trust you are doing what you're supposed to. :angry3:

huntsfurfish
06-13-2016, 10:24 PM

anthony5
06-13-2016, 11:11 PM
As a rule you normally buy frozen bait( herring, smelt, sardines, suckers, shiners,ect) unless you catch your own bait.
-Brine to start, 1 cup salt to 1 gal of non chlorinated water
-1 table spoon of Mrs Stewart Blueing Liquid to keep bait shiny
-Place bait in brine for 6 to 8 hrs(10-12 if using a colored dye)
-Remove bait from brine and put in a plastic tub or bag and cover with salt, let the bait sit in the fridge overnite and then rinse in brine and dry for 1 hr next day.
Plastic tubs work better than bags, just don't leave the bait in the salt to long as it will burn(dry) the bait out.
Package bait as to what you think your needs will be and fish away, the bait will be ready to go when you need it and if not used put it back in the freezer for the next event, this method will keep bait for a long time if needed.
You can also add your preferred scent to the brine for added attraction if you want( garlic, mustard, ketchup,hot sauce) whatever suits your fancy.
The bigger bait 1/2 to 1lb would need 3 -4 hrs longer than the above recipe, just make sure any bait is not frozen when you start.

millsboy79
06-13-2016, 11:36 PM
As a rule you normally buy frozen bait( herring, smelt, sardines, suckers, shiners,ect) unless you catch your own bait.
-Brine to start, 1 cup salt to 1 gal of non chlorinated water
-1 table spoon of Mrs Stewart Blueing Liquid to keep bait shiny
-Place bait in brine for 6 to 8 hrs(10-12 if using a colored dye)
-Remove bait from brine and put in a plastic tub or bag and cover with salt, let the bait sit in the fridge overnite and then rinse in brine and dry for 1 hr next day.
Plastic tubs work better than bags, just don't leave the bait in the salt to long as it will burn(dry) the bait out.
Package bait as to what you think your needs will be and fish away, the bait will be ready to go when you need it and if not used put it back in the freezer for the next event, this method will keep bait for a long time if needed.
You can also add your preferred scent to the brine for added attraction if you want( garlic, mustard, ketchup,hot sauce) whatever suits your fancy.
The bigger bait 1/2 to 1lb would need 3 -4 hrs longer than the above recipe, just make sure any bait is not frozen when you start.
Thanks very much.

cube
06-14-2016, 10:11 AM
I was out fishing today with some good size dead fish bait ... BUT the bite was not on and I came home with a large number of bait that I would rather not waste ... SO what are my options?

Since I do not intend to eat these bait is there any harm in refreezing them? Do I have to do something specific before I do so ... they are currently in my fridge but I would like to do something different with time by tomorrow night. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I bring a ziplock bag with a good amount of what ever salt you have handy (generally) table salt. I do keep my bait in a small cooler with an ice pack during the day and as soon as fishing is over all left over bait go into the bag with the salt. then into the fridge when I get home.

I usually need to repeat the salting once or twice as the water that is drawn out will dissolve all the salt so I pour off the excess water and add some more salt until no further (or very little ) water comes out.

I just store it in the fridge and never refreeze it. Will last in the fridge for weeks or even months as it is basically very pickled.

As for legality of your bait choice I have never seen anyone ticketed for using bait other than what is listed but if you look up the actual bill/law it does seem pretty clear that other than minnows you are allowed only smelts and herring.

From the Legislation
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-98-246/index.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alberta Fishery Regulations, 1998 - SOR/98-246 (Section 19)

19 No person shall angle using

[...]

(g) any fish as bait, other than dead bait fish, dead smelt, dead herring, dead shrimp, dead fish eggs or the skin, fins or eyes of game fish caught by angling.

[...]

Schedule One list the remaining bait fish
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-98-246/page-4.html#h-32

Species of Bait Fish

Item

Column 1

Column 2

Common Name

Scientific Name

1 Iowa darter Etheostoma exile
2 Minnows, except carp and goldfish Minnows, except carp, goldfish and western silvery minnow
3 Sticklebacks Family Gasterosteidae
4 Suckers Family Catostomidae
5 Trout perch Percopsis omiscomaycus

At least that is what the Law says.
As for using ocean going smelt and herring and not allowing other freshwater species as bait the reasoning seems to be to limit possible invasive diseases and species.

Strikemaster
06-14-2016, 11:32 AM
From anyones experience...do salting minnows have any effect on the fish biting compared to non salted minnows? I am curious on walleye as sometimes they will much prefer a parker over others.

millsboy79
06-14-2016, 11:59 AM
I bring a ziplock bag with a good amount of what ever salt you have handy (generally) table salt. I do keep my bait in a small cooler with an ice pack during the day and as soon as fishing is over all left over bait go into the bag with the salt. then into the fridge when I get home.

I usually need to repeat the salting once or twice as the water that is drawn out will dissolve all the salt so I pour off the excess water and add some more salt until no further (or very little ) water comes out.

I just store it in the fridge and never refreeze it. Will last in the fridge for weeks or even months as it is basically very pickled.

As for legality of your bait choice I have never seen anyone ticketed for using bait other than what is listed but if you look up the actual bill/law it does seem pretty clear that other than minnows you are allowed only smelts and herring.

From the Legislation
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-98-246/index.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alberta Fishery Regulations, 1998 - SOR/98-246 (Section 19)

[...]

(g) any fish as bait, other than dead bait fish, dead smelt, dead herring, dead shrimp, dead fish eggs or the skin, fins or eyes of game fish caught by angling.

[...]

Schedule One list the remaining bait fish
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-98-246/page-4.html#h-32

Species of Bait Fish

Item

Column 1

Column 2

Common Name

Scientific Name

2 Minnows, except carp and goldfish Minnows, except carp, goldfish and western silvery minnow

At least that is what the Law says.
As for using ocean going smelt and herring and not allowing other freshwater species as bait the reasoning seems to be to limit possible invasive diseases and species.
I don't find it as obvious as you. To me reading that it is listing the fish you can catch (not by angling) and use for bait.

Not what you can buy frozen and use for bait.

Obvious example would be anchovies.

Not on any list but readily available at every bait store.

I would be willing to admit if I was wrong but I'm this case I'm not currently convinced. I will be figuring out the facts before I use these fish.

Thanks everyone for their imput ... they are currently brining.

huntsfurfish
06-14-2016, 12:03 PM
I don't find it as obvious as you. To me reading that it is listing the fish you can catch (not by angling) and use for bait.

Not what you can buy frozen and use for bait.

Obvious example would be anchovies.

Not on any list but readily available at every bait store.

I would be willing to admit if I was wrong but I'm this case I'm not currently convinced. I will be figuring out the facts before I use these fish.

Thanks everyone for their imput ... they are currently brining.

Because a fish is not listed does not mean they are legal.

Also, Kao is a species of Goby.

millsboy79
06-14-2016, 01:16 PM

I called the pros ... waiting on a call back. I understand what you're saying but if there is not a complete list of every species you are able to use (or a more specific list of what you can't use) then it's kind of useless to debate.

millsboy79
06-15-2016, 08:47 AM

I got a call back and they are okay to use.

cube
06-15-2016, 10:30 AM
I got a call back and they are okay to use.

I would get that in writing if you can.

I agree it would be nice if the legislation and regs were more clear.

That said it does sure seem to indicate in the legislation Part 19 (g) Angling restrictions.

"Angling Restrictions

In Schedule One Part 2 it then defines what a bait fish is giving both common and scientific names.

"PART 2

Species of Bait Fish
Item

Column 1

Column 2

Common Name

Scientific Name

So now they have given you what you can use (the defined bait fish from Schedule One Part 2) and the exceptions (Part 19g dead smelt, dead herring, dead shrimp, dead eggs, and parts of fish you have legally angled) that you can use as it pertains to using fish as bait.

I read it as if it is not on the list you probably can't use it legally. It would take far to long for them to list the millions of fish species in the world that you could not use as some have suggested.

As for stores being able to sell things that are not legal to use in Alberta: Stores are legally aloud to sell you items that you can't legally use. I will give to examples here though I'm sure there are plenty more. First it was legal for stores to sell you barbed hooks back when you could not legaly use them. Second I can go into many/most sporting stores and buy a gaff even though the use of the gaff is no legal in Alberta.

That being said as I have said earlier it would be very rare for anyone to give you trouble over using other bait fish and have only heard of one person getting any static over it. By the way Herring, Anchovies, Pilchards, and Sardines are in the same family so are probably all OK to use.

Buy the way the salting does seem to work well both to preserve the fish texture and shelf life. I have found it does not seem to make much if any difference in walleye or pike fishing and have on some days found the salted bait was actually preferred by the target fish. Salting/brining is commonly used on the coast for salmon fishing etc. Not say on some days the fish might just prefer absolutely fresh but in that case you are probably better off catching your own bait fish from the water body your fishing.

Have a good season

huntsfurfish
06-15-2016, 11:00 AM
I would get that in writing if you can.

I agree it would be nice if the legislation and regs were more clear.

That said it does sure seem to indicate in the legislation Part 19 (g) Angling restrictions.

"Angling Restrictions

In Schedule One Part 2 it then defines what a bait fish is giving both common and scientific names.

"PART 2

Species of Bait Fish
Item

Column 1

Column 2

Common Name

Scientific Name

So now they have given you what you can use (the defined bait fish from Schedule One Part 2) and the exceptions (Part 19g dead smelt, dead herring, dead shrimp, dead eggs, and parts of fish you have legally angled) that you can use as it pertains to using fish as bait.

I read it as if it is not on the list you probably can't use it legally. It would take far to long for them to list the millions of fish species in the world that you could not use as some have suggested.

As for stores being able to sell things that are not legal to use in Alberta: Stores are legally aloud to sell you items that you can't legally use. I will give to examples here though I'm sure there are plenty more. First it was legal for stores to sell you barbed hooks back when you could not legaly use them. Second I can go into many/most sporting stores and buy a gaff even though the use of the gaff is no legal in Alberta.

That being said as I have said earlier it would be very rare for anyone to give you trouble over using other bait fish and have only heard of one person getting any static over it.

Buy the way the salting does seem to work well both to preserve the fish texture and shelf life. I have found it does not seem to make much if any difference in walleye or pike fishing and have on some days found the salted bait was actually preferred by the target fish. Salting/brining is commonly used on the coast for salmon fishing etc. Not say on some days the fish might just prefer absolutely fresh but in that case you are probably better off catching your own bait fish from the water body your fishing.

Have a good season

Agree with you cube.
It also makes a difference in what he asked and how he asked.

I also think in this day and age with invasive species concerns they should be looking closer at what a person uses for bait.

Koa is a farmable species of Goby(not in Alberta) and may be available through other means as well. Not that the OP is doing that but I interpreted the regs the same as Cube and I asked the question is it legal.

millsboy79
06-15-2016, 12:27 PM
Agree with you cube.
It also makes a difference in what he asked and how he asked.

I also think in this day and age with invasive species concerns they should be looking closer at what a person uses for bait.

Koa is a farmable species of Goby(not in Alberta) and may be available through other means as well. Not that the OP is doing that but I interpreted the regs the same as Cube and I asked the question is it legal.
I was extremely clear with the name of the fish and it's relationship to a gobi ... why would I be unclear in my question when it would be me who would be getting into trouble for using it for bait.

The person I talked to on the phone said a report was made and my name was recorded asking the questions and what answers she had given. I asked her to confirm my address (which I had not given previously) to make sure they had the right guy so if another officer gives me different information then I still have a leg to stand on.

Next time I think I will just try a different bait.

BarryKletke
06-16-2016, 10:54 AM
You know what I like using oysters because they are good little snacks huh what kid