PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Lake challenges

old dog
06-13-2016, 03:39 PM
My son, his friend and myself headed out to Pigeon Lake this past weekend to enjoy a weekend of fishing and filling a few tags. We knew the weather was questionable but headed out Friday anyway. Got the tent set up and enjoyed a great evening around the fire. We did wake up to high winds and some rain. But away we went after a hearty home made ham/ egger. The bite was on but the wind got so bad the i pilot could not keep us on point. So out came the double anchor and chain. The fish were biting like crazy but when the anchor system would not hold us, it was time to head in. It was a little sketchy getting the boat loaded and upon arriving at the campsite, the skies opened up with rain and hail. Later in the day the wind and rain let up eough to get back out again and the walleye kept biting. We caught and released approx 100 fish. My son had a personal best of over 40 fish.
Sunday morning found us packing up a wet camp and hitting the lake with minimal wind and a few rain drops. Where did the fish go? The bite had died right off and we were now wondering if we should have tagged some of the fish from Saturday. So we moved locations only to have the wind get up so we decided to drift fish. The bite was on and just as the wind was making it dangerous to be on the lake we managed to bring in our last legal walleye.

Will be enjoying our feed of fresh walleye this week.

buddybuckhunter
06-13-2016, 10:05 PM
We were on the lake sun morn,had some big wind but walleye bitin good on jigs.The sun came out early afternoon and it got quite nice.Jigs bite slowed down so we went to trolling blades an crawlers and fish kept coming,seemed the larger 'eyes' took spinners,and one nice 6.5 pike.All in all good day and tagged out are class b.Sure is nice to have a walleye feed!

Walleye101
06-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Welcome to the world of Walleye fishing. One day your on them and the next day they're off. They move around.

EZM
06-14-2016, 09:46 AM
We were out Sunday morning. Saw the armada of boats in the usual spot over by the provincial but headed a little further down (a hundred fifty yards or so) to my spot on the rock pile off the drop.

We managed to fill 4 "A" tags pretty quickly with some ~60cm eyes but nothing larger around that we found between 2 of us.

The third guy had "B" tags and had to work pretty hard and release quite a few fish to fill his 3 tags.

Only 2 "C" sized fish landed and released that day.

It seems to me the age classes are pretty consistent. I'm sure there are a few bigger eyes in there, but we haven't seen them.

Jig and minnow drifting off the structure and moving back to the structure using I-pilot anchor spot lock seemed to work nicely. Just enough movement to get them interested in striking.

Bemoredog
06-14-2016, 09:58 AM
I'm heading to Pigeon this Friday and Saturday. Can anyone tell me whether the Walleyes are starting to move out deeper and spread out, or are they staying near the shore and stacked up?

Just wondering what depth I should be trying to fish at (structure notwithstanding).

Any particular style of jigs you guys use and find most effective? Hook size?

This is literally my second time targeting Walleye.

Okotokian
06-14-2016, 10:47 AM
Sons and I have tags for Pigeon Lake, however my wife has brought up concerns about the water (someone told her something). I hit google and found that the lake has had reoccurring problems:

Heavy Blue Green algae seems to be a yearly problem.
They have had a number of water advisories issued because of Fecal Bacteria, the latest only last year.
The Pigeon Lake First Nations has had a Boil Water Order ongoing since 2010.

I'm wondering if I even want to eat anything out of that lake. Does anyone have any knowledge of the current water condition and how it might impact fish and subsequent human health? Thanks.

old dog
06-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Drifting with the wind with a leech and jig was working great when the winds were high. Not fighting the wind or your rig

wildwoods
06-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Had a great calm day today. 120~ fish in 4 hrs. 3 adults 3kids. The kids out fished us by far (blame it on re baiting and unhooking lol) water was low but still very clean. Probably the cleanest I have ever seen it. 10 FOW caught glimpses of the bottom at times. Very productive and fun day. Not to high jack the thread- more of an update
Launch at Mulhurst was fine for my 18' Bayliner.

old dog
06-14-2016, 05:34 PM
great to hear others had a great day as well. Don't mind releasing lots of fish. Another pic of my son with another walleye. Oh we had class b tags

fish99
06-14-2016, 07:16 PM
was out on friday the bite was on in 14 feet of water and yes we could see the anchor at that depth . the first time for clear water in years.