PDA

View Full Version : Off-roading Fishing Adventure??

millsboy79
06-15-2016, 05:03 PM
I would love to find information on a lake somewhere that you can only access with a serious off road vehicle.

I am a fan of camping, fishing, off roading and being the only one around.

I have a feeling I know the responses I am going to get being that most of Alberta is prairie and gridded off into sections. I assume most people will suggest BC or way up north.

The problem with those is that it will take significant time to get to the access (trail) let alone the water, but that being said I would appreciate any info you care to share.

Thanks

wildwoods
06-15-2016, 05:41 PM
google earth is your friend man

millsboy79
06-15-2016, 05:53 PM
google earth is your friend man
How so? Just because you can see something on Google Earth doesn't mean there are fish there or that the "road" is even a road ... if anything BRMB would be the ticket but I am looking for accounts and ideas a little more specific than ... here's a globe, best of luck.

I have the older BRMB and have had a look, just curious what the people here have actually done or heard of others doing.

wildwoods
06-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Grab the Barry Mitchell Alberta fishing guide. Great info in there. Nobody will give you Lake "X" spots. They are found by using google earth and topo maps and chucking hardware. The best perch spots are outta the way in Nowheresville for example. There are a bunch of spots by Nordegg that I've googled that I've always wanted to try out. Look for inlets/outlets and try it out. You might just find a honey hole.
Or you could just ignore one of the most powerful scouting tools on the planet. Your call

RavYak
06-15-2016, 06:39 PM
Can't be too many lakes like that. I know of multiple hike in or semi questionable trails in but I can pretty much get into any of them with my Rav so not hardcore off road either and they are up here in the north not close to you.

If I did know a good fishing back country lakes I can guarantee you that I wouldn't be sharing them on here for everyone to see. The reason lakes like that aren't that way anymore is the word gets out on them and then people build nice trails in and eventually you get a campground there and it defeats the whole purpose of finding a lake like that...

I have to go with wildwoods on this one. Try to research some lakes close to your area and look at access on google maps etc to see if you can get close enough then go exploring. That is half the fun and guaranteed you will find better lakes that way then to just go to the mediocre lakes that may get suggested on here.

Talking moose
06-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Grab the Barry Mitchell Alberta fishing guide. Great info in there. Nobody will give you Lake "X" spots. They are found by using google earth and topo maps and chucking hardware. The best perch spots are outta the way in Nowheresville for example. There are a bunch of spots by Nordegg that I've googled that I've always wanted to try out. Look for inlets/outlets and try it out. You might just find a honey hole.
Or you could just ignore one of the most powerful scouting tools on the planet. Your call

This.... The best part of fishing is the adventures you make finding an out of the way spot on your own. My favorite spot was a lake up north. Dragged a 10' tinner in across muskeg, built a bridge to cross a creek, and left the boat hidden in the bush at the lake, just brought the motor with us for years after we got the boat in. Camped on an island. The lake was only fished(and not by many) in the winter. Very few people worked to fish it in the summer. Great memories, now there is a lease 1/2 a mile from the lake with a road right to the lease. But the sense of accomplishment we had when we had the lake to ourselves every summer was well worth it. Exploring to me is better than fishing.

jpohlic
06-15-2016, 07:31 PM
I would love to find information on a lake somewhere that you can only access with a serious off road vehicle.

I am a fan of camping, fishing, off roading and being the only one around.

I have a feeling I know the responses I am going to get being that most of Alberta is prairie and gridded off into sections. I assume most people will suggest BC or way up north.

The problem with those is that it will take significant time to get to the access (trail) let alone the water, but that being said I would appreciate any info you care to share.

Thanks

Margaret Lake in the Waiporous off road area. The trail is really easy though and I've bagged a VW golf up there once. They shut down most of the really challenging trails and cut lines out there a few years back. I drove my jeep out there mid week one year and had the lake to myself for 3-4 days.

D.A.C
06-15-2016, 07:37 PM
There is orloff lake.

Talking moose
06-15-2016, 08:02 PM
There is orloff lake.

Orloff fits the bill but it's a fair travell from the south....

D.A.C
06-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Orloff fits the bill but it's a fair travell from the south....

True enough moose. I've been there once and had a blast.
30 min quad ride in with a 12 foot "tin" boat on a tiny tub trailer (flipped over going to the lake. And coming back lol. I left the boat by the lake for 3 days. No one touched it. And the fishing was awesome. (This is 5 years ago Tho)
Never was back since. But plan on it one of these days
:o)

Talking moose
06-16-2016, 09:45 AM
True enough moose. I've been there once and had a blast.
30 min quad ride in with a 12 foot "tin" boat on a tiny tub trailer (flipped over going to the lake. And coming back lol. I left the boat by the lake for 3 days. No one touched it. And the fishing was awesome. (This is 5 years ago Tho)
Never was back since. But plan on it one of these days
:o)

^ that's what she's all about!

357xp
06-16-2016, 09:52 AM
This.... The best part of fishing is the adventures you make finding an out of the way spot on your own. My favorite spot was a lake up north. Dragged a 10' tinner in across muskeg, built a bridge to cross a creek, and left the boat hidden in the bush at the lake, just brought the motor with us for years after we got the boat in. Camped on an island. The lake was only fished(and not by many) in the winter. Very few people worked to fish it in the summer. Great memories, now there is a lease 1/2 a mile from the lake with a road right to the lease. But the sense of accomplishment we had when we had the lake to ourselves every summer was well worth it. Exploring to me is better than fishing.

Ohhh, that was your boat?! :scared0018:

Okotokian
06-16-2016, 10:01 AM
Would you be willing to hike, or must you burn carbon and be conveyed in style? LOL Plenty of wonderful lakes in K Country and other places to hike into.

Anyways, good luck with your search!

BarryKletke
06-16-2016, 10:58 AM
You know what that would be the day that I hiked somewhere unless my golf cart could get in there somehow hey huh what kid