PDA

View Full Version : small outboard motor

goodold303
03-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I hope that some one can help me with this question?
I got a small boat, 10ft fiberglass and got a little 3 horse motor.
The boat is a bit heavy and got a rounded but not a pointed bow.
The little outboard seems a bit underpowered for this boat. So I am looking to bring the power up to about 5hp this year.
the one thing that I do like about the little 3 horse is the fact that it has a built in fuel tank. Having a small boat means space is at a premium, and I would like to buy a 5 hp outboard with an internal fueltank, so as to keep the items in the boat down.
Do any off you know off any well known brand of outboard that makes/made this kind off outboard motor??
Thanks for any info goodold303

Rumtan
03-08-2009, 04:05 PM
The Boat & Sportsmans show is this coming weekend in Edmonton....I think you would find out there.

elkhunter11
03-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Most manufacturers switch to remote tanks with engines larger than 4hp.

KyleM
03-08-2009, 04:33 PM
I think Merc has the biggest being 4hp.

Iam looking at the same thing for a jon boat.

Heres a few things I have noted on the smaller outboards with integral fuel tanks.

Honda was first on my list with their tiny 2hp.
BIG plus is that its aircooled but I dont feel 2hp is going to be enough to push
anything other than a canoe.

Yamaha has had issues with carbs but I believe the 2.5 is the cheapest (even cheaper then Merc). Also, they dont have the Hondas crappy plastic prop.

I will not buy a Johnson so I havent even checked their site.

Im going to be checking into suzukis so Ill keep you posted.

Big Red 250
03-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Last summer I sold a 7.5 eska and it had the internal tank. I think some of the other older brands also had the internal tanks. you see alot of old motors at garage sales and some of then even run.

ICE HOLE
03-08-2009, 04:39 PM
If space is the issue you can get a 3 or 5 gal plastic tank that hangs on the transom and keeps the floor clear. A bit pricey but ...... I saw them at Auto Marine Specialties in Calgary.