PDA

View Full Version : Minn kota 30lb on 3 man dingy is this enough

foothills800
06-17-2016, 04:05 PM
As the title states would this have enough to power this dingy around?
thanks

Landlocked_Newfie
06-17-2016, 04:22 PM
As the title states would this have enough to power this dingy around?
thanks
Yup

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Landlocked_Newfie
06-17-2016, 04:27 PM
I use a 30# 12v. On a 12"6" X 5' width folding boat. It gets along well. I put a 4.2hp on it for Pigeon Or Wab, that gets me along great. :)

foothills800
06-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Thanks and how about going upstream how much current can it overcome, just need to get somewhere and doesn't need to be fast. And my 14' lund is too much boat.:test:

schmedlap
06-17-2016, 06:01 PM
Thanks and how about going upstream how much current can it overcome, just need to get somewhere and doesn't need to be fast. And my 14' lund is too much boat.:test:

I had a 28 lb. thrust Minn Kota for many years. For most of that time I used in on my small Zodiac. For small trout lakes or places where gas motors were a no-no, (or we had to carry in for any distance, as the electric was so light) just the electric, and it was adequate. For bigger water bodies as a backup or slow troll/spot holder in concert with a small (4-8 hp) gas outboard. The limiting factor is how much time you get on one fully charged battery. The duration is dependent on how much you use it at higher speeds, of course. I always carried 2 fully charged batteries if I was out and using it a lot for more than one day. I think the newer ones are far more "efficient", but ...

I also would put it on when we were doing river floats and fishing (glued a layer of river raft material to the Zodiac bottom for abrasion and cut resistance), just to speed up getting through any long calm sections and to make it easier to repeat by going back upstream in good fishing spots, or to hold against some current, as opposed to paddling or poling. But it definitely did not have the power to push the boat back against any strong current, and if we were doing any significant such it would have to be on top speed and would drain the battery rather quickly. If you plan on going "upstream" much in any significant current you will need at least a 55 lb. thrust and at least 2 batteries aboard. Any small gas outboard is far superior for that.

neilsledder
06-17-2016, 08:15 PM
There is only one way to find out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pikebreath
06-18-2016, 08:42 AM
[QUOTE=schmedlap;3257277If you plan on going "upstream" much in any significant current you will need at least a 55 lb. thrust and at least 2 batteries aboard. Any small gas outboard is far superior for that.[/QUOTE]

Good advice. You will need the extra power to keep the bow pointed upstream as well.