PDA

View Full Version : marlin fishin advice?

abhunt
03-08-2009, 05:16 PM
just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on marlin fishing.I have never been before and am looking for a quality/economical trip for me and my other half.We were thinking Mexico or somewhere therabouts!Any info would be appreciated!!
thanks,Doug M.

-JR-
03-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Just got back from the Cancun side.....Was told from the locals, Marlins were not bitting .I ended up not fishing . You might want to talk to Cabo Don who lives at Pigeon lake. He is the Marlin guy ! If interested in his number or e mail ....pm me .

The Fisherman Guy
03-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Just don't spend six hundred bucks in Peru looking for Black Marlin, and end up with dorado and bonito!! Good luck

Kanonfodder
03-08-2009, 08:34 PM
I hooked up with a charter out of Mazatlan, our boat caught 2 marlins. I never deep water fished before it was a blast, landed my Marlin in 22 minutes then puked my guts out for 30......was plus 35 on the water and I was a wee hungover. Good times. This was in March during Spring break...

CNR
03-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I've been deep sea fishing in the dominacan, cancun, puerto vallarta and cabo san lucas. And Cabo massicures all of them. Boat was $700 US,includes lunch and 24drinks of your choice (go for the beer!) We caught 10 stripe marlin in 7hrs. There are very few places (...that I've researched) that you can do that on a consistant bases.

Rigg dogg
03-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Hey abhunt I have been on a few deep sea trips.
Been down to Panama, Costa Rica and several in Mexico.
Had some good fishing in Puerto Vallarta @ a reasonable price. Good Sailfish and Marlin.
Was down in Cabo back in Nov. The Striped Marlin fishing was crazy like CNR said.
I subscribe to Marlin magazine and they have had a few stories about the great Striped Marlin fishing there this year.
They are saying it is the best it has ever been in a long time.
Check out there website, marlinmagazine.com
I was fishing with Baja Anglers out of Cabo.
It is getting a little late in the year though now if you are still planning on going this winter. Best times for Cabo I think are from Oct to Jan.

Costa Rica and Panama have some great Rooster fish down there as well as Marlin and Sails. They are a little more money but well worth it. If you want some more info about them let me know and I can send you some.

bubba5794
03-09-2009, 03:38 PM
We went to Manzillo Mexico and caught a stripped marlin just under 8' long and 100 lbs and a Blue Marlin that was just over 8' long and 200 lbs, the fishin was great and the vacation (resort) was the best I had ever been too.

bullpike
03-09-2009, 03:44 PM
We've been a few times to Mexico. By far Cabo is the best fishing in Mexico. I'm not too sure about any of the other countries in Central America though.

boundave
03-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Cabo is the only place that I've been that consistantly produces marlin. Was out at the golden gate on the Rondinella on Mar 2. Hooked 14 striped marlin, boated, and released 11, lost the 3 just short of the boat. All were in the 160 - 220 lb range. Absolute blast, even got a Dorado for supper. Just do your homework in advance, only deal with charters that have an office, (reduces the odds of getting jerked around). There were 4 of us on a 38' boat, $800 USD. Average cost seems to be around 200 USD per fisherman, 2 guys $400 USD 28' - 30' boat. Look at the boat some of the Mexican tape measures are a little suspect.