PDA

View Full Version : Cold lake newbie

capper
06-17-2016, 09:21 PM
Heading out to cold lake for the first time tomorrow. Figured we will focus our efforts near the provincial park just outside of the town. We're going to try from walleye but I've heard it's not an easy task. Will be in a red Lund if anyone's out tomorrow and wants to come say hi. Will report back on how we do. any tips are appreciated.

capper
06-18-2016, 06:09 PM
Just got back from the lake. First time out to Cold and as expected the fishing was tough. We fished for walleye and pike and only Landed a few small pike all day. The fishing was poor but the weather was great. If anyone was out on cold today I'm super curious to know how you did. Was I the only one who came Home with no fish. Lol

-JR-
06-18-2016, 09:32 PM
How was the water in the main lake ,did the wind pick into the 20-30 km range?

58thecat
06-19-2016, 01:00 AM
Laker fishing was great in the morning, slowed down a bit in the afternoon...walleye are always hard to target but the gators are there. Will be out tomorrow for gators just to cast and troll lures for a different species.

capper
06-19-2016, 06:56 AM
The wind picked up a little bit in the afternoon but we when we left which was just after 3. It was probably Only 5-10km. The whole day the wAter barely had a ripple On it. Good to hear the fishing was good. I've never fished for lakers and next time I'm back I'll definitely give it a try thanks. We forgot one
Of our tackle boxes at home so I will admit we were rather limited in our options which definitely didn't help our chances.

-JR-
06-19-2016, 07:11 AM
Really only 5-10km I was going to go but the forecast said much higher !
Went to Pigeon Lake instead, walleyes were bitting hard all day.101 count by 1:30

58thecat
06-19-2016, 08:11 AM
The wind picked up a little bit in the afternoon but we when we left which was just after 3. It was probably Only 5-10km. The whole day the wAter barely had a ripple On it. Good to hear the fishing was good. I've never fished for lakers and next time I'm back I'll definitely give it a try thanks. We forgot one
Of our tackle boxes at home so I will admit we were rather limited in our options which definitely didn't help our chances.

Been fishing the lake religiously since 2003, my go to set up is a pink lady to get me down to around 50 feet, add weight if lakers are located deeper, attached to that is a willow leaf to mimic bait fish, and three feet behind that is a hot spot 4 inch lure, various colours as in pink and yellow, these hot spot lures have two types as in slow troll and fast troll, all it is the front is either wider or narrower etc Google these items to see what I mean.
Once I locate the bait fish (balls) on the fish finder and notice a lot of action around then I troll in and around that area changing my trolling speed slightly etc
I don't mess around with other set ups, been in and amongst other boats not catching and we are pulling them in and enjoying the catch.
Yesterday morning we had some lunkers on, spit the hook, got a good look though, landed a bunch of small ones, had a 80 cm one for a few pics just a great time.
Try my set up, farted around for many years with others and this just seems to produce, good luck and tight lines!:)