PDA

View Full Version : Hanmore Lake

LUVTOHUNT
03-08-2009, 07:03 PM
I'd like to try Hanmore Lake north of Smoky Lake before the season ends. Does anybody know if the lake has any springs that may cause thinner ice. Any suggested spots for pike and perch? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.:wave:

buckmaster
03-09-2009, 12:27 AM
I was there about a month ago and saw 1 whitefish on the camera all day.Another guy i was with caught a few small pike.The lake has been very slow for the last 3 to 5yrs.As far as ice there was 20'' when i was there and lots of floodwater. Hope this helps

steve
03-09-2009, 02:03 AM
I have fished Hanmore in the summer and had steady action with small pike, the last time I icefished there we tried all over and didnt have much luck.

FisherPotch
03-09-2009, 04:07 AM
Twas a slow outing about a month back as buck said. Just replace few with 8 and he's got it about right. LOL. And were they ever small pike, 2 of them were likely under 15in. Skrawny lil snakes.

LUVTOHUNT
03-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for your help guys.

fishunter77
03-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Hanmore use to produce 3 - 6lb Whites in the late 90's. There were also a ton of pike above 10lbs. All the lakes in the area have taken a kicking due to lack of water. I have not seen the lakes in that area that low in my life.

I went out last winter and tried all my "honeyholes" for whites and only saw 1 small pike swim by my wireworm. I tried different colors and methods and could not attract any.

I am not to sure what happened:confused: to this lake.

Too bad, use to be a great lake to catch some big whites and Pike.

buckmaster
03-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Hanmore use to produce 3 - 6lb Whites in the late 90's. There were also a ton of pike above 10lbs. All the lakes in the area have taken a kicking due to lack of water. I have not seen the lakes in that area that low in my life.

I went out last winter and tried all my "honeyholes" for whites and only saw 1 small pike swim by my wireworm. I tried different colors and methods and could not attract any.

I am not to sure what happened:confused: to this lake.

Too bad, use to be a great lake to catch some big whites and Pike.

I talked to a bioligist and she said that she was going to have a study done on the lake soon and find out whats going on. I dont think its the water level as the lake is 75' deep.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-10-2009, 12:28 AM
I talked to a bioligist and she said that she was going to have a study done on the lake soon and find out whats going on. I dont think its the water level as the lake is 75' deep.

Humm will be interesting to find out whats said. Ive never seen huge groups of people out on that lake , so I don't think its fishing pressure , wonder if its lack of habitat. I think habitat loss is # 1 reason the lack of so many fish in our lakes.

buckmaster
03-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Humm will be interesting to find out whats said. Ive never seen huge groups of people out on that lake , so I don't think its fishing pressure , wonder if its lack of habitat. I think habitat loss is # 1 reason the lack of so many fish in our lakes.

BBJ, it will be interesting.She said she has had a few complaints about the lake and doesnt think its from overfishing either.

wapiti11
03-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Gents;
The problem with Hanmore lake is the over use of the diamond fly "nets". No science just traditional knowledge.
wapiti11

stephen189
03-10-2009, 09:00 AM
There was a foot of floodwater across the entire lake two weeks ago, and not busy at all this year as usual. Im close to the lake and rarely waste my time fishing it (once or twice per summer). It used to be good for perch, whites and BIG pike. Not so much anymore.... I agree with the netting post. If you are making a special trip, i wouldnt waste your time. The lake has a deep spot but is by no means averaging 75 feet, and the shoreline fluctuates alot yearly but hasnt lost much in the 20+ years i can remember. Also the summer activity has greatly increased, it is becoming a very popular recreation lake. If you do make the trip out, the snow is deep getting on and drifted after this weekend, alot of people get stuck before they even get on, i would suggest parking and sledding on.

kreator
03-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Living within about 25 minutes of the lake, I can tell you the local folklore is the lake is/was netted way too hard. I've heard it's been netted with the 3 and 1/4 inch "lakekiller". Whether or not this is true I'm not sure, but the fishing is terrible now.

happy perch fisher
03-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Overharvesting of the whitefish destroyed it. The whitefish where the food source for the pike and when they got overharvested the whole lake went to *****. The pike now grow really slowly and the few that do get over 63 cm get kept. They where planning to stock it with perch from spring lake before it was going to be winterkilled. But the winterkill happened sooner then they expected so they never stocked it.

steve
03-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Overharvesting of the whitefish destroyed it. The whitefish where the food source for the pike and when they got overharvested the whole lake went to *****. The pike now grow really slowly and the few that do get over 63 cm get kept. They where planning to stock it with perch from spring lake before it was going to be winterkilled. But the winterkill happened sooner then they expected so they never stocked it.

Man.... you know what destroyed every lake from here to Montana. Do you speak to the fish?

FishBrain
03-10-2009, 04:35 PM
I have a friend who has lived a few miles away his whole life and he says the fishing has gone to crap also. we spend many weekends up there and rarly do you even see a frog let alone fish. saw a couple minnows during the summer but nothing like I thought should be in there. I didnt know the were netting the thing. damn!

happy perch fisher
03-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Man.... you know what destroyed every lake from here to Montana. Do you speak to the fish?

Yah of course i do how else would i know this stuff:rolleye2:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Yah of course i do how else would i know this stuff:rolleye2:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Simple research , and insider information .I'm just bugging ya HPF LMAO.

goober
03-10-2009, 08:28 PM

"Man.... you know what destroyed every lake from here to Montana. Do you speak to the fish?"

You may not like what he said or how he said it but he is definitely on the right path with his theory.