PDA

View Full Version : Best walleye fishing line.

-JR-
06-19-2016, 11:01 AM
Was out fishing this weekend at Pigeon and when I grabbed my rod it had some of that nano line on. Bright White ! By partner was pulling them in Like 10 :1
for one of mine. Until I changed over to mono. Then it was even.
Going to re-spool ,and was wondering whats new out there for the best walleye line.

Teamprotz
06-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Lake trout too. Years ago I rigged dad up with crystal fireline at Athapap for better feel. Doing the same thing using mono , the girl reading a book in the front of the boat out fished him by the same margin. Straight mono at Athapap now , cold lake I use crystal but with a 17lb mono leader. Fish can definitely see braid

fluxcore
06-19-2016, 11:12 AM
You didn't run a leader ? ALWAYS run a leader with braid

scel
06-19-2016, 12:03 PM
You didn't run a leader ? ALWAYS run a leader with braid

So much this ^^^^^

Braid is the best line---much stronger for the diameter and no memory. Run 2 rod-lengths of 8-10# fluorocarbon leader tied directly to the braid using an Albright knot. You will not even notice the knot, and now you have the best of both worlds.

wildwoods
06-19-2016, 02:18 PM
I tie braid directly to jig all the time. Zero issues ever. I've caught hundred if not thousands of walleye that way

fluxcore
06-19-2016, 02:25 PM
I tie braid directly to jig all the time. Zero issues ever. I've caught hundred if not thousands of walleye that way

You would catch more with a leader and not risk loosing that spooky trophy of a life time that's avoided hundreds if not thousands of anglers by being aware of the slightest abnormalities.

EZM
06-19-2016, 02:44 PM

Tie on a fluorocarbon leader and turn those "hundreds and thousands" into "tens of thousands".

I can catch a fish with a string tied to a 2x4 but why not take advantage of having the extra edge of having a near invisible (and more natural) presentation.

wildwoods
06-19-2016, 02:45 PM
You would catch more with a leader and not risk loosing that spooky trophy of a life time that's avoided hundreds if not thousands of anglers by being aware of the slightest abnormalities.

Theres risk of flouro being snapped by said trophy. I'm open to adjusting but have tried both and have had more success with braid.

fluxcore
06-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Theres risk of flouro being snapped by said trophy. I'm open to adjusting but have tried both and have had more success with braid.

Are ya shark fishing lol if your breaking off on fluorocarbon then dam! Take me with u. Floro is near invisible under water as for mono the ultra green / green lines and even regular are very close but are defiantly more visible and 100% not as abrasion resistant. If braid to hook works for u then go for it but don't be afraid to change things up on tough days

wildwoods
06-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Are ya shark fishing lol if your breaking off on fluorocarbon then dam! Take me with u. Floro is near invisible under water as for mono the ultra green / green lines and even regular are very close but are defiantly more visible and 100% not as abrasion resistant. If braid to hook works for u then go for it but don't be afraid to change things up on tough days

Appreciate it. Another piece for the arsenal.
Maybe I've had an anomaly day but experimented with flouro in pike/walleye waters and found the bigger slough sharks had no issues chomping flouro.
I'm not claiming to be the best angler around. There's plenty of guys on here that would take me to the wood shed. However I had good success with jig to braid on tough days and brand new water. Last season out of the 3 alberta lakes we fished (2 new to me) and all three times had 100+ fish days and some good sized ones to boot.
Still lots to learn.

wildwoods
06-19-2016, 04:04 PM
Tie on a fluorocarbon leader and turn those "hundreds and thousands" into "tens of thousands".

I can catch a fish with a string tied to a 2x4 but why not take advantage of having the extra edge of having a near invisible (and more natural) presentation.

Valid point. Dually noted

DiabeticKripple
06-19-2016, 04:07 PM
9 times out of 10 I out fish the boat for walleyes, and I use braid to a snap swivel tied directly to the jig.

Not bragging, just saying I think it's more on technique than the line you have.

PerchBuster
06-19-2016, 04:31 PM
I like to use braid on a baitcaster or fireline on a spinning outfit both tied to a good quality barrel swivel then tie on a fluorocarbon leader 10#\8# test. Minimum 5 to 6 feet usually. Swivel should be small enough to pass thru your rod guides. Good Luck!

millsboy79
06-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Was out fishing this weekend at Pigeon and when I grabbed my rod it had some of that nano line on. Bright White ! By partner was pulling them in Like 10 :1
for one of mine. Until I changed over to mono. Then it was even.
Going to re-spool ,and was wondering whats new out there for the best walleye line.
Nano is the best line out there IMO and I have tried more than my fare share ... like most people have been saying you just need a good length fluoro leader. With the fluorocarbon just make sure you buy leader material than line if you are worried about the big one it will make the difference.

Deep
06-19-2016, 05:04 PM
I also find great success with power pro braid. Was a mono user since I started 50yrs ago. The visual argument is a valid one especially when the lure is stationary or jigged, but my almost exclusive trolling has no trouble with braid by itself.

npauls
06-19-2016, 07:47 PM
Nano is the best line out there IMO and I have tried more than my fare share ... like most people have been saying you just need a good length fluoro leader. With the fluorocarbon just make sure you buy leader material than line if you are worried about the big one it will make the difference.

Nano is one of the worst lines ever made. Its breaking strength is terrible and it freys very fast with very little abrassion resistants.

Myself and other walleye gournament anglers have all tried it and every one of us had the same experience with it.

We all quickly ditched it and went bacl to power pro. Suffix. And spider wire braids and havent had a problem since.

We almost always run a small swivel and mono or floro leader between our hooks and main line. We have noticed in the past that a clear leader line was outfishing straight braid.

millsboy79
06-19-2016, 08:13 PM
Nano is one of the worst lines ever made. Its breaking strength is terrible and it freys very fast with very little abrassion resistants.

Myself and other walleye gournament anglers have all tried it and every one of us had the same experience with it.

We all quickly ditched it and went bacl to power pro. Suffix. And spider wire braids and havent had a problem since.

We almost always run a small swivel and mono or floro leader between our hooks and main line. We have noticed in the past that a clear leader line was outfishing straight braid.
Thankfully I have not had this experience. I moved away from it to try one of the braids and it doesn't cast as nice so I went back to it.

I don't find it to be an issue but if it does start to fray ... I will cut it off and reattach my swivel to fresh line.

-JR-
06-19-2016, 09:33 PM
Wow ! Did I ever open a can of worms.
Thanks for all the replies ,or a few anyways.

I have tied some fluorocarbon leader to the end of the nano line .
Just did not like the feeling of that knot as it pass threw the eyelets .

Just going to stick with some old fashion mono ,as it did catch me 50 walleye this last weekend.

RavYak
06-19-2016, 09:43 PM
10 lb pp + 5-6 ft 8 lb fluoro leader. Use the no name knot as below and it will flow through eyelets smoothly. Dab a bit of superglue onto the knot to make it flow 100% freely if you are so inclined.

http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/power_pro_v2/info/using_powerpro/knots/no-name_knot_.html

I will never fish with mono main line again.

EZM
06-20-2016, 08:14 AM

100% Agree all points you make here ....

Nanofil is cheap garbage with inferior performance, in almost every aspect, when compared to a quality fused braid like Suffix or Power Pro. It's like comparing a Go-kart to a Ferrari. You get what you pay for - and the price point, if I'm not mistaken, should be a good clue.

Up until recently - I probably fished 100 days a year and trust me - if it's out there, I've tried and tested it. I was not impressed with Nanofill.

And ....

a clear leader will always increase your hook up % when the fish are being picky.

100% agree

scel
06-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Wow ! Did I ever open a can of worms.
Thanks for all the replies ,or a few anyways.

I have tied some fluorocarbon leader to the end of the nano line .
Just did not like the feeling of that knot as it pass threw the eyelets .

Just going to stick with some old fashion mono ,as it did catch me 50 walleye this last weekend.

What kind of knot did you use?

millsboy79
06-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Nanofil is cheap garbage with inferior performance, in almost every aspect, when compared to a quality fused braid like Suffix or Power Pro. It's like comparing a Go-kart to a Ferrari. You get what you pay for - and the price point, if I'm not mistaken, should be a good clue.

Glad we are all able to still have our own opinions. Since I have predominately fished from shore, casting is the most important thing to me and there is nothing that casts like nanofil. If that means I need to cut a few yards off every month to get away from a little frayed line then that's what I will do
... and luckily enough for me since it is cheap garbage I can afford an extra spool.

I recently tried something else and quickly came back to it. There is obviously no perfect line out there or we ALL would be using it.

millsboy79
06-21-2016, 09:50 AM
100% Agree all points you make here ....

Up until recently - I probably fished 100 days a year and trust me - if it's out there, I've tried and tested it. I was not impressed with Nanofill.

And ....

a clear leader will always increase your hook up % when the fish are being picky.

100% agree
Might be happy to know that I took your opinion and bought a new rod the other day and thought with the new rod I will try the line I haven't yet which is the Sufix ... fingers crossed that it's the best of both worlds ... casting and durability.

I still think the nano will have it's place in my tackle box but am always open to new things.

bucksman
06-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Berkley trilene transoptic, I do a lot of jigging and casting with a slow bottom bouncing retrieve. works great for shore fishing too

SamSteele
06-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Might be happy to know that I took your opinion and bought a new rod the other day and thought with the new rod I will try the line I haven't yet which is the Sufix ... fingers crossed that it's the best of both worlds ... casting and durability.

I still think the nano will have it's place in my tackle box but am always open to new things.

I use Suffix 832 almost exclusively now. One thing to keep in mind is that it starts out a little bit stiff but "breaks in" with use. I usually tie a swivel and then a fluoro leader on, but you could skip the swivel if you wanted.

SS

huntsfurfish
06-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Lots of best lines out there

millsboy79
06-21-2016, 11:36 AM
I use Suffix 832 almost exclusively now. One thing to keep in mind is that it starts out a little bit stiff but "breaks in" with use. I usually tie a swivel and then a fluoro leader on, but you could skip the swivel if you wanted.

SS

Heading out tonight to give it a try, looking forward to it and thanks for the tips. I thought the stiffness of the line might help out in some of the issues I have found in all the other lines (except nanofil) is that if you do not get the line in quite as tight as you should and then get a hit the top layers will cut into the bottom leading to quite a mess.

Fingers crossed.

benamen
06-21-2016, 11:59 AM
I tried Nano on my Stella reel this year. Had Power Pro on it for a few years so thought it was time to replace the line. Read up a bit and biggest problem indicated for Nano was knot strength and some saying it was from not wetting line enough prior to tightening knot. So I took my time with the knot and wet it well as I was attaching Flouro to it. Took it out fishing on the long weekend in May and it did cast well. Caught a nice jack and then a nice walleye using my new Live Bait lure. A couple casts later, away went my lure. Nano broke. Retied more flouro and used a slightly different color lure but I did not have the luck with it as the first lure.
Back to Power Pro now.

millsboy79
06-21-2016, 12:38 PM
I tried Nano on my Stella reel this year. Had Power Pro on it for a few years so thought it was time to replace the line. Read up a bit and biggest problem indicated for Nano was knot strength and some saying it was from not wetting line enough prior to tightening knot. So I took my time with the knot and wet it well as I was attaching Flouro to it. Took it out fishing on the long weekend in May and it did cast well. Caught a nice jack and then a nice walleye using my new Live Bait lure. A couple casts later, away went my lure. Nano broke. Retied more flouro and used a slightly different color lure but I did not have the luck with it as the first lure.
Back to Power Pro now.

Just spent the last while reading all the reviews I could find on the line and they either black or white love it or hate it, it seems like Berkley needs some serious improvement in their quality control or something because there are reviews where people have had the same line for years without an issue and then stories like your where the line breaks within the day. The only thing I can think is the quality of each individual spool or batch. Which is reason enough for people to avoid it, but I have been lucky enough to have a good spool but when I start loosing more lures I will probably jump off the band wagon until the "second generation" comes out.

huntsfurfish
06-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Knots are a critical component when using the "slick" lines. Most failures are knot failures.
Lots of fishermen out there figure their knots are good and blame the line.

edit: the more knots on a line the more failure points.

Talking moose
06-21-2016, 06:37 PM
Knots are a critical component when using the "slick" lines. Most failures are knot failures.
Lots of fishermen out there figure their knots are good and blame the line.

edit: the more knots on a line the more failure points.

This^ and certain knots are more suited to certain lines.

benamen
06-21-2016, 10:06 PM
And therefore it can be said certain lines are more prone to knot failures than others.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

millsboy79
06-21-2016, 10:46 PM
And therefore it can be said certain lines are more prone to knot failures than others.

Actually what I think he's saying is that with the correct knots you will reduce the number of knot failures ... you just need to use the recommended knot and not assume the improved clinch is always the best choice.

RavYak
06-21-2016, 10:54 PM
Actually what I think he's saying is that with the correct knots you will reduce the number of knot failures ... you just need to use the recommended knot and not assume the improved clinch is always the best choice.

How dare you speak lowly of the improved clinch knot. I rarely use anything else lol.

benamen
06-21-2016, 11:06 PM
With my failure, it was with the recommended knot tied while indoors. With the power pro I just tie a quick knot and have yet to have a failure. Like I mentioned there was a lot of concern about the Nano knots when I read up on it. And from my experience, rightfully so.

huntsfurfish
06-22-2016, 12:01 PM
Back to Power Pro now.

With my failure, it was with the recommended knot tied while indoors. With the power pro I just tie a quick knot and have yet to have a failure. Like I mentioned there was a lot of concern about the Nano knots when I read up on it. And from my experience, rightfully so.

Does not mean you had a good knot. Also not all super lines are "slick" lines.

When using "slick" lines, you have to be flawless with tying your knots(ok, almost flawless:))

It is also possible the pike damaged the line.

One issue like you had, does not make the product poor.

You see that alot on here. Even by some respected members.

millsboy79
06-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Tried the Sufix, it doesn't cast like the nanofil but I like it better than the powerpro (so far) so it might be a good compromise all the reviews about the nanofil have me a little paranoid now.

SamSteele
06-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Tried the Sufix, it doesn't cast like the nanofil but I like it better than the powerpro (so far) so it might be a good compromise all the reviews about the nanofil have me a little paranoid now.

Give it a bit to soften up and I think your distance will increase. I tried PowerPro and didn't care for it, mostly because the coating came off and I didn't see any advantage to it over Suffix 832.

SS