PDA

View Full Version : Walleye in Newell

sanjuanworm
06-20-2016, 08:58 AM
I'm about to try out Newell for some walleye fishing. I have Crawling Dialled in. Does it fish about the same way Crawling does? Just find the slopes and resting fish. Jig and bottom bounce?

Any shallow spots in the middle of the lake etc?

Can someone give me some insight?

Thanks

The Reel Deal
06-20-2016, 11:21 AM
Download the bathymetry map from esrd webite to see all the mid lake structure that may be an issue.
The techniques from cvr will put you on fish at Newell too.

Good luck!

deschambault
06-20-2016, 12:50 PM
Mid summer go straight out from the provincial park and use CV techniques.

raw outdoors
06-20-2016, 04:58 PM
There is a couple shallow spots way out in the middle of the lake right out from the prov. Park boat launch. Lots of bottom structure to fish in that lake.

Wes_G
06-20-2016, 10:08 PM
Definitely take a look at the maps for that lake. I wouldn't go flying around on it not knowing somewhat of where I was going. Lots of mid like structure.

sanjuanworm
06-21-2016, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys. I'll use the Minn Kota or the kicker and map this lake.

millsboy79
06-21-2016, 11:51 AM
http://aep.alberta.ca/forms-maps-services/maps/prairies-area-bathymetry-maps/documents/LakeNewellColourBathymetryMap-2004.pdf

JUST in case you didn't have the link.

Mudslide
06-21-2016, 12:10 PM
If you have a Lowrance unit with GPS you can download a free map that will give you a pretty good idea of where to go and where to avoid. While you are at it, record your sonar logs and share them with others. If you have a paid subscription you can keep your spots private, but there's really no hiding anymore. The paid version also shows you bottom hardness and vegetation which you can toggle on and off.

http://www.gofreemarine.com/insight-genesis/community

Bigmountainrider
06-21-2016, 04:16 PM
Just a heads up, Watch the wind. Newell builds faster with less warning than CVR. Remember sometimes the safest way off the lake is to the nearest shore, not the boat launch.

Who Da Fisherman
06-21-2016, 07:54 PM
Just a heads up, Watch the wind. Newell builds faster with less warning than CVR. Remember sometimes the safest way off the lake is to the nearest shore, not the boat launch.

Agreed, had 2 close calls in my old tin Lund. when the wind starts to kick up and you not in a boat made for for big water - Get Off the lake!
WDF

sanjuanworm
06-22-2016, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys. I have a 17foot crestliner. Although it seems big enough I got into some big wind at Minnewanka and it scared me.

deschambault
06-22-2016, 12:02 PM
There was a Crestliner flipped on Newell a few years ago near the bird sanctuary island at the south end and I believe some one drowned.