PDA

View Full Version : Maligne Lake questions

RustyRat
06-21-2016, 08:24 PM
Wondering the best way to fish Maligne Lake. Would like to tent and stay a few days, rent a boat. Talked to Parks Canada, some other booking company, and in the end nobody could answer my questions. Is it possible to park your vehicle at a tent site and be on the lake ?

RavYak
06-21-2016, 08:55 PM
There are 3 campgrounds on Maligne, all of which are boat access only and you have to book well in advance because they fill up quick(like next 3 months...).

I don't think there are any places that rent boats out there anymore, at least not the freighter canoes that are preferred out there.

Best way to fish it is probably stay somewhere else in the park and go there for a day trip. Not sure about renting a boat though, you probably need one.

SNAPFisher
06-21-2016, 08:56 PM
"Some other booking company..." yeah...not sure who you would be referring to but Online Sport & Tackle in Jasper should be able to fill you in on all you require, including licenses. Check out this link:

http://fishonlinejasper.com/packages.html

It also tells you about the camping situation which doesn't exist in the way I think you are thinking...hard to tell from your post though. Anyways, talk to Online and you will get all the right info there.

McLeod
06-22-2016, 08:08 AM
You can leave you vehicle in the parking lot if you have the permits to camp at one of the three spots down the lake. You can rent boats and canoes.

weedhaul
06-22-2016, 08:55 AM
I'm going up there next week. Not sure what your question is - how to actually fish the lake or logistics. I've heard that trolling with sinking fly-line or 8 wt fluoro at a depth of about 15-20' is best, with flatfish, minnow bait or streamers. You can shore fish near drop offs with flatfish, smaller rapalas or fly fish with larger flies. This time of year you want to be 1/3 to 1/2 way down the lake. Brookies and rainbows, some whitefish. There's a few bull trout as well which are c&r only.

Big Bull
06-22-2016, 10:08 AM
Wondering the best way to fish Maligne Lake. Would like to tent and stay a few days, rent a boat. Talked to Parks Canada, some other booking company, and in the end nobody could answer my questions. Is it possible to park your vehicle at a tent site and be on the lake ?

To book a site on Maligne Lake, go to https://reservation.pc.gc.ca/Home.aspx
There are 3 campsites on the lake. The first is Hidden Bay, and is only about 5 km from the boat launch, then Fisherman's Bay - about 13 km's, and finally Coronet Creek - about 23 km. Maligne Lake is a big lake, and the weather/conditions can turn nasty in minutes. Otherwise, the nearest drive to camping is over 50 km away, near the town of Jasper.
You can rent a boat from Brewsters right at the lake, but you may have to sell a kidney to afford it. On-Line Sport and Tackle has aluminum boats on the lake that they rent. Also, Wild Current Outfitters and Pure Outdoors rent canoes, but I'm not sure if they have them already at the lake, or you may have to pick them up in town.
I prefer to troll wet flies with sinking line or chironomid fishing.
I would suggest you try and book a site at Hidden Bay.