PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Gear: One hook for BC Lake Rainbows? Kokanee?

Marty S
06-22-2016, 07:18 AM
What is your most favouritest hook in the whole wide world for fishing big lake BC rainbows? 2-5 lb class.

Next... Kokanee... What is the ins and outs to Kokanee fishing in late June from shore? I know everybody trolls wedding bands and apexes but I'm standing on shore looking stupid with no boat. Am I too early for kokanee? Will they hang in a shallow creek mouth or do I need to find a different creek?

I went out last night for an hour or two, hucking 00 Len Thompsons. I got a sucker by the mouth, he bit, and I think a squawfish. Had some high powered bites, I suspect they were rainbows, my concept is stay away from the small gear and keep the toddlers off. Off again right now.

Travco1
06-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Try Live Target smelt . Rapidly turning into my favourite

wildwoods
06-22-2016, 07:49 AM
I've caught rainbow and steelhead on a five o diamonds. I would prefer a wedding band for Koks and apexs and coyote spoons for Bows. Blue and white coyote spoon might be on in 3.5-4"

Pixel Shooter
06-22-2016, 09:00 AM
hmmm. polar bear hair on planner board for big water rainbows. for kokanee you need a rubber snubber or your will catch lots of lips, small spinner, usually my fav is a small spin and glow with maggot

millsboy79
06-22-2016, 04:56 PM
Only kokanee I ever caught was in Castlegar on a super duper.

Sitkaspruce
06-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Rainbow

Need to determine if they are bait fish feeders or insect feeders as that will make a big difference. Check this info out.

http://flyguys.net/fishing-information/still-water-fly-fishing/rainbow-trout-strains-of-british-columbia

3" chrome or blue/silver or pearl Apex w/a small neon pink bead between the hook and the lure. Fish it quickly with lots of zig zagging to change action a bit. My fav lure for interior rainbows who are feeding on baitfish

Kokanee

red/white or pink trout killer apex with a small pink bead between the hook and lure. This is all I use for kokanee.

Cheers

SS

Mackinaw
06-22-2016, 10:52 PM
Try Live Target smelt . Rapidly turning into my favourite

The rainbow smelt or the rainbow banana smelt?

Mack

bubba 96
06-23-2016, 02:38 AM
Only kokanee I ever caught was in Castlegar on a super duper.

Love fishin the Columbia in castlegar, my best bud grew up there and has 2 spots he has taken me to and it was non stop rainbows in 3-6lb ranges..
And the sturgeon jumping out of the river is somethin on its own...

LutherDLG
06-23-2016, 09:40 AM
I'm headed to Koocanusa this weekend chasing rainbows and kokanee. I don't have a ton of experience trolling deep for trout or fishing for kokanee at all but I'm bringing the typical bag full of Apex lures, Lyman plugs, willow leafs, wedding bands, etc. so I'll let you know what, if anything, works for me.

Where are you fishing?

warnniklz
06-23-2016, 01:18 PM
2-5lb rainbows are decent... wouldn't put them in the big class.

00 Len thompson is kind of big. I know bit bait, big fish. But minnow patterns in the rivers and lakes. Gibbs wedding bands in lakes behind some trolling gear, dyck nites, small flatfish (usually black sparkle) are usually the go-to artillery...

fluxcore
06-23-2016, 04:11 PM
Small spin & glow down deep seem's to work

Tfng
06-23-2016, 10:10 PM
I had really good luck on red and gold Little Cleos when I went. Some fly fisherman laughed at my brother and I because we hadn't caught any Kokanee, what they didn't realize was that we were catching rainbows nearly every cast.

weedhaul
06-23-2016, 11:01 PM
For rainbows in Clearwater I used a boring old jointed Rap and it worked quite well. Wish I had brought my fly rod though, in the evenings they were rising everywhere.

2alarmfishing
06-23-2016, 11:29 PM
Rubber snubber

CanuckShooter
06-24-2016, 08:56 PM
2-5lb rainbows are decent... wouldn't put them in the big class.

00 Len thompson is kind of big. I know bit bait, big fish. But minnow patterns in the rivers and lakes. Gibbs wedding bands in lakes behind some trolling gear, dyck nites, small flatfish (usually black sparkle) are usually the go-to artillery...

for rainbow >>flatfish...1/2 to 3 inches long....bright orange works very well and combos of blue/green. we also tow a lot of wholly bugger flies...or cast with them behind a small spinner.

warnniklz
06-24-2016, 08:58 PM
for rainbow >>flatfish...1/2 to 3 inches long....bright orange works very well and combos of blue/green. we also tow a lot of wholly bugger flies...or cast with them behind a small spinner.
Wooly buggers are dynamite. If nothing is working... go to a wooly bugger

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

CanuckShooter
06-24-2016, 08:59 PM
Mepps spinners work very well if your casting for rainbows too...