PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Charter in Costa Rica

fishingnut
06-22-2016, 12:45 PM
Heading to Tamarindo, Costa Rica in March, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good fishing charter.

Thanks!

Bemoredog
06-22-2016, 01:53 PM
I did one, can't recall the outfit, but it was only OK. He was based out of Playa Flamingo. Guide set up four rods and trolled around with straight hooks, no bait. When we got a bite, we grabbed the rod and reeled in. We were catching blackfin tuna. Caught about 6.

The guide was decent I guess, the experience was just highly artificial and he didn't really speak much English so there was next to nothing learned about the local fish, their behaviours or their environment. Drinks and snacks were provided. He took us to a remote beach where we hung out and snorkeled after the fishing died out.

It was a full 8 hour day. Caught about 6 blackfin and took them to the open air bar by the beach in Playa Grande, near our accommodations to have them prepared and cooked. Pretty tasty. But not sure I'd go again. Was really expensive from what I remember.

We were there in February when apparently the fishing isn't super great. But hell if I know.

Sorry I can't give you a recommendation other than to do your homework on the outfit and make sure they will give you the experience you're after. Pretty obvious, I know, and not a mistake I would make again. I went on this charter before I was really into fishing and it was on a whim.

Have fun though. Costa Rica is an amazing place.