PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Lake Minnewanka

dnowen
06-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Hello Everyone,

First time posting on this site. I am going fishing this weekend on minnewanka to hopefully grab some lakers. I've done alot of research and read old posts about the lake, but i'm the type of person that like's to be very overprepared. I'll be going on a zodiac boat with a 20HP motor, a lowrance hook 4 DI sonar, and a small downrigger. I've heard it can be a pretty difficult lake, but I anyone could give me advice on the best techniques and areas to fish this time of year it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dawson

sanjuanworm
06-22-2016, 03:31 PM
I downrigged 2 weeks ago and picked up one at 30ft. Just trust your sonar and if you see a pile of fish sit there and jig on them with a spoon or cold lake special. They may be deeper now. Next time i go out im downrigging the entire time.

report back and tell me what depth you see them at.

TROLLER
06-22-2016, 04:29 PM
They should still be in the shallows. Go to the far end of the lake and fish in about 20FOW Use a white skirted tube with a lead free jig.

There will be guides out so watch where they fish, that is the best scouting you can ever get. On the left side down the lake you will see the campground and most likely a few guys fishing just off shore that also is a good place

Just be mindful of the wind, when it comes up on that narrow lake it can get very dangerous in a hurry.

Good luck

dnowen
06-22-2016, 04:59 PM
They should still be in the shallows. Go to the far end of the lake and fish in about 20FOW Use a white skirted tube with a lead free jig.

There will be guides out so watch where they fish, that is the best scouting you can ever get. On the left side down the lake you will see the campground and most likely a few guys fishing just off shore that also is a good place

Just be mindful of the wind, when it comes up on that narrow lake it can get very dangerous in a hurry.

Good luck

What exactly do you mean by the end of the lake? the far east side? farthest from the launch?

Also, thanks for all the Troller and sanjuanworm.

newguy
06-22-2016, 09:51 PM
I can't wait to fish the lake! Last year we were out in our old boat, a 19'bowrider. Wind came up from nowhere and made the trip back miserable. Do be careful in that wind.

Claymaker
06-23-2016, 11:49 AM
was using red devil spoon and caught one off shore yesterday morning, talked to the guides its been slow past week and half and there using flys in about 20-30ft of water but only landing 1-2 day, tube jigs are right off and no action right now. thats from the guides. as for fishing off shore there is some decent spots walkable had few follow ups and landed one. if yur coming up send me a pm i live in banff and will come fish for a few hours

TROLLER
06-23-2016, 12:31 PM
What exactly do you mean by the end of the lake? the far east side? farthest from the launch?

Also, thanks for all the Troller and sanjuanworm.

Yes the far east end, it runs from side to side anywhere from 10 to 30 FOW and that has always been a good spot up to about July depending on water temp then they go deep and you either have to jig at 100ft. or downriggers or 3 ways.

tight lines

dnowen
07-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, i got completely skunked. Was marking tons on the sonar from 30-50 feet but couldn't convince any to bite.