PDA

View Full Version : Perch fishing on Gull Lake

Nolin34
06-28-2016, 10:31 PM
Was just wondering if its viable to try for perch during the summer months? I've read a bunch of forum posts and watched the youtube videos on the ice, but i cant seem to find any solid summer tips.
We go out with the kids to the south end of Birch bay and seem to always find pike and the occasional walleye in 10 to 12 feet of water, but they are brutes for little kids arms. We usually drift and bounce jigs off the bottom.
Does anyone know if dropping an anchor in the general vicinity with smaller jigs and bait work for perch?

fluxcore
06-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Lots of perch up shallow in the weeds feeding on this seasons small minnows, fire out a slip bobber or even a regular bobber adjusting the length until you start catching. Same bait as winter, worms or if you can find them maggots. I see lots of huge schools in gull but even more in sylvan cruzing the weedline in about 4 to 6ft of water. Im targeting walleye and pike in the summer, not sure how they taste when things warm up, the water was 17 degrees this past weekend and their shallow so I think I'll leave them alone until winter.

Stally77
06-28-2016, 11:56 PM
We were catching them last summer with a worm harness attached to a bottom bouncer. Same setup we were catching walleye on. 12-20 FOW. Just make sure you troll at about 1mph and u should have luck. The bite is very light so make sure your hooks are small and your holding the rod to feel them.