PDA

View Full Version : Beginner rod/reel and Panther Martins

Stoich
06-29-2016, 09:03 PM
I'm a beginner learning spinning around Calgary. I purchased a 6' Light Action Uglystik GX2 rod and a Pflueger Trion 30X reel, and it came with 8 lb test.

So far I have been mainly fishing for trout in stocked ponds nearby. I'm trying to get the hang of Panther Martins but I am finding them quite difficult to cast.

My Ugly Stik is only rated down to 1/8 oz lures, and I am wondering if my difficulty stems from my rod not being ultra lite, the 8 lb test, or me just being overall crap at casting.

I am heading out to the mountains to try some creeks this weekend, and I am hoping switching to 4 lb test may help.

cranky
06-29-2016, 09:17 PM
The light action rod is good enough for now but the reel is a bit big for
4lb line which would be the best for chucking small stuff a bit of distance. You could try 4 lb on that reel though. Or maybe tie on about30 to 40 feet of 4 lb to the 8lb and try that. Not sure that will work but worth a try. Mono isnt to expensive. Or you could purchase a smaller reel like 1000 size with 4 lb or lighter. I use a 1000 size reel and a 6 ft ultra lite and can cast 1/8 at least 100 feet.

millsboy79
06-29-2016, 09:25 PM
Get rid of the mono all together and move to a braid line. Will cast a lot better.

RavYak
06-29-2016, 10:45 PM
The tiny spinners and any small lure for that matter are tough to cast any distance. I would definitely go to braid, 10 lb max and try a smoother braid like power pro super 8 slick. With braid you then want to tie on a fluorocarbon leader, for trout I would use 8 lb fluorocarbon line.

This setup will cost you a bit but should extend your casting distance significantly over 8 lb mono.

Bemoredog
06-30-2016, 08:16 AM
If you are just fishing rivers and shallow lakes you could try attaching a small bubble float with a bead above it. Fill the bubble float a quarter or half full of water so the added weight will help your line cast further.

I've only ever used this to spin fish with flies and nymphs, but I think it could work with spinners as well.

You can find lots of info online, but here's one decent site (focused on using a bubble with flies; the nymph method is slightly different): http://globalflyfisher.com/fish-better/fishing-a-bubble

You could also try experimenting by adding successively larger split shots 12 to 18 inches up your line. This will add weight and help your cast, but you'll have to be strategic as it will also make your spinner run deeper.

One last option if your fishing 1 to 3 feet from the bottom is to use a lindy/slip weight setup. The added mass from the weight will again help your cast, just use caution as you'll have a few feet of line out when casting. Totally doable though as I done this myself.

Site with more info: http://www.lineonfishing.com/index.php/2013-06-11-15-37-39/menu-rigging/menu-slipweightrigs

The Reel Deal
06-30-2016, 12:45 PM
make sure to fill the spool to the rim with line, this reduces friction

as a kid i had a 8 or 9' ultra light fenwick with a 2500 spinning reel and 10# spiderwire that would cast impressive distances with light tackle

huntsfurfish
06-30-2016, 11:21 PM
5'6" - 7' light or ultralite rod with matching reel and 4 pound mono(longer rod is better for casting). You will have less trouble with the mono and is a lot less money. If it twists up badly you can strip it (dispose of at sporting good stores). A 1000 yd spool will give you 8-10 re-spools.

I rarely use super lines for trout.

edit: Switching to 4 pound mono would be an inexpensive alternative to new rod/reel/line. Superlines will work but just going to 4 lb. mono might be an easy fix for you.