PDA

View Full Version : Canned fish

MB1
07-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Any one have any recipes for canning fish? I was told it makes the bones soft so maybe they're maybe talking about pickling?
Either way I want to try it if any one can give some advice?
Thanks

Talking moose
07-01-2016, 02:37 PM
My buddy at work is doing this this weekend. YouTube has a ton of step by step videos. He's trying one of them. He's canning whitefish and sucker.

MB1
07-01-2016, 02:54 PM
I was just watching youtube, looks pretty straight forward. Let us know how it turns out.

Talking moose
07-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Will do. I'll probably have to take his word for it on how good it is...:)

WildCats
07-02-2016, 12:16 AM
Best canned salmon and Kokanee I've eaten was half and half pickling salt and brown sugar. Run it through the smoker then can it.

WC

Duramaximos
07-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Best canned salmon and Kokanee I've eaten was half and half pickling salt and brown sugar. Run it through the smoker then can it.

WC
Cold smoke?
How long do you smoke it?
Do you remove the skin?

I've canned salmon once before but found it a bit plain.

Thanks?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

warbridle
07-02-2016, 04:09 PM
I canned trout years ago but forget the recipe now, although I remember vinegar and ketchup were ingredients?

Hope someone comes up with a good recipe. Trout are biting well this spring. :sHa_shakeshout:

skinny d
07-04-2016, 08:05 AM
check out www.simplycanning.com

WildCats
07-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Left the skin on, hot smoked until it's done as you would normally do. Basically candied salmon in a jar. Doesn't look fantastic but awful hard to beat taste wise.

Cold smoke?
How long do you smoke it?
Do you remove the skin?

I've canned salmon once before but found it a bit plain.

Thanks?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

calgarygringo
07-05-2016, 04:42 PM
My wife makes pickled pike quite regularly for years. She has tried many recipes off the internet of different types and flavors but think she has one now that she likes the best. I will see if I can get it from her and post. I am not a big fan myself but wife and family loves the stuff.
The current version I would say is more like pickled herring. Her grandma used to cook it first then put it in the juice but wife now doesn't cook it at all. Not totally sure of the process so won't go too far. I am just in charge of finding and getting the fish.

Any one have any recipes for canning fish? I was told it makes the bones soft so maybe they're maybe talking about pickling?
Either way I want to try it if any one can give some advice?
Thanks

Joe Quiroga
07-06-2016, 07:08 AM
Here's an interesting one I came across. I may spice it up with some jalapeno when I try it out.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/wild-chef/2013/02/fish-recipe-pickled-pike

sportman
07-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Just a thought, would canned fish not be considered part of your possession limit? So say after canning 5 trout would you not be done, or say after two or 3 pike.