PDA

View Full Version : Do Sturgeon jump straight up?

Troy Cee
07-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Question for the experts. I don't fish Sturgeon at all, not my thing. This past weekend here on the E-Town NSR, there was something very freaking large jumping out of the river where I was fishing. It was a noticeable slap and then splash every time.

First, it was a ways off, but eventually, this thing came into my area. I hooked it on a very small jig and my old beater Pflueger Alero reel, with 10 pound mono line. I gave it the old college try, fought it hard for 20 minutes trying to tire it out, and every time I got it close to shore, it would charge out hard taking line. Eventually, it wore the small hook out and I lost it. My reel was hot from the fight and my line was all messed up.

It did breach once straight up, with the underbelly facing me. Honestly, it looked like the underbelly of a pike but this thing was absolutely massive. If it was a pike, it's the biggest freaking thing I ever saw (maybe 25-30 pounds). But I'm honestly not sure it was. I saw the the white underbelly but I couldn't see the sides as it was about 15 feet out. The only thing that has me a bit perplexed was that there was no fish at all out there for the day, nothing and I usually hit quite a few small eyes or pikes. The size made me think a sturgeon, but I didn't think they jumped straight up like that or breached when hunting, I thought they stayed low.

I don't know if it was a sturgeon or a monster pike that ate everything in the area.

thoughts?

Rockjockey
07-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Sturgeon will jump and tail walk. Not sure that they would chase other species away though.

RJ

the local angler
07-03-2016, 07:51 PM
yup definitely a sturgeon, they love to breach like that when hooked. they also do that when not hooked too, they do that to shake the silt and stuff out of their gills since they are bottom feeders.