PDA

View Full Version : Reel question PENN vs. Cabelas Salt Strikers

Troy Cee
07-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Hi Folks
hitting the west coast at the end of this month for a salmon run. Looking for a decent salt water reel.

I've narrowed it down to the Penn Battle II vs. The Cabelas Salt Striker in shore. Any experience with them?

I hear the Penn's are exceptionally durable and have a huge ratings (98% good), but not 100% sealed even though ocean rated. The Cabelas appear to be very well made, well sealed but not a lot of ratings on them (few people buying).

Any input, experience?

EZM
07-05-2016, 10:05 AM
Hi Folks
hitting the west coast at the end of this month for a salmon run. Looking for a decent salt water reel.

I've narrowed it down to the Penn Battle II vs. The Cabelas Salt Striker in shore. Any experience with them?

I hear the Penn's are exceptionally durable and have a huge ratings (98% good), but not 100% sealed even though ocean rated. The Cabelas appear to be very well made, well sealed but not a lot of ratings on them (few people buying).

Any input, experience?

I would buy what you know works well. Why risk taking a chance on a piece of equipment that could ruin a trip.

Go with the Penn.

huntsfurfish
07-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Personally, I would never go on a fishing trip with just one rod and reel.
2 would be the minimum for me.

Exception might be if I were close to someplace I could buy one, or a buddy had an extra.

crazyfish
07-05-2016, 05:17 PM
I have a penn spinfisher V in 8000 . Absolutely love it , well sealed ,no issues. Caught salmon , halibut and lots of bottom fish

halsey
07-05-2016, 08:48 PM
I have several Penn spinning reels for saltwater and they are reliable. If you submerge a non sealed reel in saltwater then a good cleaning and regreasing is in order.

Kingfisher
07-07-2016, 10:07 PM
I bought a couple of Penn Squall reels early this spring. I bought them specifically for salt water. But have used them in the big lakes this spring and they have been great. Can't wait to give them a real work out in the ocean in a few weeks. So far though they have been great.

Marty S
07-09-2016, 07:36 AM
Penn reels have the reputation for being the king of saltwater. I have a mid-size Battle reel and a few Spinfisher V's in the larger sizes. They are superb quality, built tough. The bail is very heavy gauge, and they are even pretty! They have my vote, that kinda chops the Salt Striker off at the knees without giving them a chance, but with Penn, you know what you have.

(I also have a small SSG that something came loose inside, so they aren't infallible, but SSGs aren't the higher quality)

But when you are fighting big fish, nothing like a good Levelwind casting reel with a good drag. I have a few Garcia 7000's and nothing I'd rather fight a big Chinook with, on the rivers, than these things. I bought them 10 years ago though, if I were buying today, I'd be looking at the Penn levelwinds, the new Garcia reels aren't what they were.

Troy Cee
07-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, decided to go with the Penn Battle II 4000. Looking for a good utility rod to pair it with, hoping a Fenwick will do the trick.
Cabelas sold out of the in shore salt striker quite quickly, and with a postal strike looming, didn't want to order anything on line and have it not arrive in time.

YeeHaw
07-11-2016, 09:41 PM
I have been using the salt striker for a few years now, and are a solid reel. For the price, they are a great reel.

Brandonkop
07-11-2016, 09:53 PM
How are you going to be fishing with a spinning reel for salmon on the salt? I'm just curious. Jigging? I don't see many of those type out here but imagine would be fun if you could get on a school hitting metal jigs.

Troy Cee
07-12-2016, 09:05 AM
Going to a spawn area for chum and I think Pinks. Did it last year, just used a buzz bomb and pink gear. I've only been fishing since last August and it started with Salmon. Didn't really know what I was doing so I had a lame reel and rod combo, still managed to catch a few (blind luck tho).

Brandonkop
07-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Going to a spawn area for chum and I think Pinks. Did it last year, just used a buzz bomb and pink gear. I've only been fishing since last August and it started with Salmon. Didn't really know what I was doing so I had a lame reel and rod combo, still managed to catch a few (blind luck tho).

I'm not sure where you will be fishing but just a warning this is an even number year so not a Pink year on the mainland. Even years are a fraction of the pinks as Odd years due to lack of fraser run in even number years. Just for your info.

Best of luck.

morgan
07-12-2016, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure where you will be fishing but just a warning this is an even number year so not a Pink year on the mainland. Even years are a fraction of the pinks as Odd years due to lack of fraser run in even number years. Just for your info.

Best of luck.

Chum and pinks, end of august,
I'd say Kitimat.
Pinks run every year up north.

338Bluff
07-13-2016, 10:24 PM
Chum and pinks, end of august,
I'd say Kitimat.
Pinks run every year up north.

Is the inlet at Kitimat do-able in an 18ft boat?

morgan
07-13-2016, 10:44 PM
Is the inlet at Kitimat do-able in an 18ft boat?

Absolutely,

Bring some crab traps too.