PDA

View Full Version : Tobin Lake

Perchfisher
07-05-2016, 05:34 PM
Going out to Middle Lake Saskatchewan to visit friends for a few days. Would like to do some fishing in the area but have no knowledge of the lakes in the area. Tobin is only about two hours away so not ruling that out as a possibility. Having never been there I wonder if a day or two trip would be worth doing. Anyone with some knowledge of the area and a few tips would be appreciated. We do have access to a boat.

Nova
07-05-2016, 07:40 PM
If you're planning on fishing the river, sure. Not exactly a lot of water to cover in there to find fish and weather isn't a huge factor. It sounded like the bite was starting to pick up.

The lake itself on the other hand, not always easy to track fish down fast, especially because the wind can keep you off the water. Might not be worthy of a one/two day trip.

Perchfisher
07-05-2016, 08:05 PM
Would a pontoon boat be ok in the river?

angler1
07-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Have a bunch of family from the area, was born there. Lake Lenore has some greay fishing and fairly close..

THERICARDO
07-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Can never go wrong with Tobin for a day but if Lenore is closer I would go there for sure. Will catch your limit almost everyday within a cpl hours, we were there last week and although Algae is getting bad the bite was amazing. U will see lots of boats within 100 metres of the launch.. Can also travel over to St Brieux Lake that since the flood has made both lakes one.. great Pike and Walleye fishing.. Good Luck

Remi3006
07-07-2016, 01:56 PM
I fish this lake for 10 days every June, so this info is based off early spring fishing..

I fish further down river in the spring (as far as and into the actual lake) we run lindy rigs with a leech or just spinners or crawler harness with worms. Jigging works great too! Get a map from one of the local stores and these spots will make a lot more sense.

Fish the very inside of Eagles nest, as soon as the point go's into the small kind of bay on the river. 18ft is usually our target depth. Out front of Tobin lake resort and just around the corner where the cabins are. Fish out from the nice brown cabin.... It's like 3rd last along the beach.

If the weather permits go to the lake, when you go from the river and enter the lake there is a large shelf along the river and lake (as if you were to turn right into the lake from the river). This shelf runs all the way to "Elk island in the middle of the lake" if you head into the "ditches" or "flats" troll across the old road with big wobblers in 7-9 ft of water. No word of a lie, you can catch 5-8 lbs walleye non stop!!! Also the odd big one and lots of big pike.

The area on the maps called the "walls" is great from trolling cranks over the 6-15 ft shelf, lots of good walleye and pike action if you focus on zig zagging over the shelf.

Straight across the river from the walls is a bay that goes from about 14 ft of water to 4 feet fairly quick (50 yards) cast from the shallow side out to deep water... Some real good pike on the shelf. 2 years ago they were still in the shallows all around us.

We find white and pink to work well on the walleye and orange for pike.

Good luck! Let me know how it go's. If you get ****ed up on directions let me know... I'll try and name some landmarks.

Play safe, watch for dead heads and weather... If you don't have a big boat it can get crazy out there fast!

These are a few common spots, im sure if you look you will find a few holes. If you don't get into fish, let me know.... I have a few "honey holes" I might share with you via PM.

Cheers!

Perchfisher
07-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Hey thank you very much for all the information. We hope to ge to Tobin if at all possible. Your information is very helpful and I will most likely drop you a line if we do get out to Tobin. Lake Lenore will definitely be one we fish.