PDA

View Full Version : Newbe

Biggsy16
03-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Hello,
Well here we go.I have not fished in years but my 13 year old and myself made a promise to each other to start this year.We both have old spinning reels and rods some odds and sods (spoons,flatfish,meps etc.).I was wondering if i should purchase any books about where to fish around Calgary.We would like to fish from shore and keep it resonably close to Calgary.I have just moved back from Vivtoria and did a little fishing out there but I am totally lost when it comes to Calgary.Can anyone suggest some good books and a good supply store.

John_Petty
03-10-2009, 06:45 PM
yeah if you go to the pro bass shop or whole sale sports they got lots of stuff and if you go west of Calgary in the foot hills on the bow river you'll catch great fish especially trout along with a few others of course i have a bud that does guided fishing on the bow river he loves it umm if you check the regs book when you get a license and look at the map it'll show you some good spots to go to .... thats what i do it's kinda like throwing a dart at a map well good luck and happy fishing

ICE HOLE
03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Good going!!!!! There is nothing better in this world then having a son/daughter or grandchild join you in the outdoors. You don't need a bunch of books just go to any sports store worth their salt and ask them where to go and what to use. Expect to buy a few lures or flies but the info you get will be worth it.

Oh yeah expect that the young person to be out fishing you very quickly....and that's a good thing.

Biggsy16
03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Ice,
Thanks for the vote of confidence he already is starting to kick my butt on the hockey ice.I will take you up on your advice and check out some local stores.Thanks again.

fishincrazy
03-10-2009, 08:16 PM
If you ever get up St. Albert way my sons and I could take you guys out for some walleye and pike fishing up into a lake not to far north. Just bring your rods etc. I have the boat etc. It is priceless the look on a young persons face when they are reeling in a fish and soaking up the sites and sounds of the out doors. PM me if you ever get up this way and are into some fishing.

Tuc
03-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Southern Alberta backroad map book.