PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Fish from Coast to Home; Options?

Marty S
07-06-2016, 11:18 PM
What are my options to get fish shipped home from the coast, say Prince Rupert, and ideally to do so economically as well as in a frozen state?

I'm not going to fly with them, but can I get them on a reefer truck somewhere or is there a good trucking option. Also, is dry ice a must if not shipping in refrigeration?

What's good? What's best?

WildCats
07-07-2016, 01:37 AM
We used to use Greyhound. Freeze em solid, wrap well in newspaper and put them in a decent cooler. Picked them up at arrival and only the fins were starting to thaw.

WC

Headwatersfish
07-07-2016, 06:05 AM
Dolly's fish market out of Rupert uses Greyhound. Frozen fish in a cooler well sealed is good for a couple days.

TROLLER
07-07-2016, 09:29 AM
We used to use Greyhound. Freeze em solid, wrap well in newspaper and put them in a decent cooler. Picked them up at arrival and only the fins were starting to thaw.

WC

X2 Wrap lot's and I mean lot's of newspaper around and you will have no problems.

drake
07-07-2016, 10:08 AM
greyhound and newspaper. never had a problem

Nolin34
07-07-2016, 05:16 PM
St. Jeans has always worked for me. There's an obvious cost, but they will filet, can, smoke, candy, chop into steaks, or ship them whole to your front door. Dolly's fish market in Rupert is affiliated. Just a suggestion for worry free transport.

Marty S
07-08-2016, 07:44 AM
I was hoping to find a reefer truck service that somebody else has done already. I knew about the bus but I'm not sure I trust it to get them all the way home in time.

How long will they stay frozen if they are all bundled in newspaper? Will a layer of gel packs help on top? I thought about wrapping with silver bubble wrap, maybe the bubble wrap then the newspaper outside?