PDA

View Full Version : shooting in Edmonton

bobmac
07-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Hi Guys i'm going to be working in Edmonton starting Aug 1st is there anywhere to go shoot close buy in the evenings want to keep my practice up
Got a draw for a cow moose this year

katts69
07-09-2016, 09:50 PM
Archery? Couple pro shops in Edmonton. 20 yds max though

260 Rem
07-09-2016, 10:28 PM
For rifle likely at least a 45 minute drive to a Range that is accepting members. Google CHAS Range, Camrose Range.

Dead Mule
07-11-2016, 05:30 PM
For rifle likely at least a 45 minute drive to a Range that is accepting members. Google CHAS Range, Camrose Range.

Unfortunately, correct.

The nearby range for cities is almost dead.

Even some of the other rural ranges like Vegreville and Smoky Lake don't seem to want anything to do with you unless you are resident in the area.

Tofield is out to lunch, IMHO. They have goofy probationary memberships with meeting attendance and range attendance requirements. Okay if you are a local, but quite ridiculous if you live in Edmonton or thereabouts.

But, maybe that's the idea.

Like it or not, CHAS and Camrose are your best options, and if you need more than 100 yards, that leaves just CHAS.

Bergerboy
07-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Unfortunately, correct.

The nearby range for cities is almost dead.

Even some of the other rural ranges like Vegreville and Smoky Lake don't seem to want anything to do with you unless you are resident in the area.

Tofield is out to lunch, IMHO. They have goofy probationary memberships with meeting attendance and range attendance requirements. Okay if you are a local, but quite ridiculous if you live in Edmonton or thereabouts.

But, maybe that's the idea.

Like it or not, CHAS and Camrose are your best options, and if you need more than 100 yards, that leaves just CHAS.

Don't take this as a personal attack Mr Mule but you are grossly misinformed how non profit clubs operate. People continually go to ranges and thing that their $100 entitles them to a service provided. It allows you entry to the club but the club still requires you to volunteer your personal time to range maintenance. Many times it is simply a 1 day work party. That is not too much to ask. Ive been a member of Tofield in the past and its a very nice little club. If ranges were operated as profitable business, they would sell day passes probably similar to a crappy golf course. Getting a free for all pass for around the $100 range would never happen. If you want to compare, look at what Phoenix or Wild West charges to shoot in a tiny box, not full outdoor ranges.

Sorry OP for the derail.

Dead Mule
07-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Don't take this as a personal attack Mr Mule but you are grossly misinformed how non profit clubs operate. People continually go to ranges and thing that their $100 entitles them to a service provided. It allows you entry to the club but the club still requires you to volunteer your personal time to range maintenance. Many times it is simply a 1 day work party. That is not too much to ask. Ive been a member of Tofield in the past and its a very nice little club. If ranges were operated as profitable business, they would sell day passes probably similar to a crappy golf course. Getting a free for all pass for around the $100 range would never happen. If you want to compare, look at what Phoenix or Wild West charges to shoot in a tiny box, not full outdoor ranges.

Sorry OP for the derail.

No offense taken.

I have been a shooter for 40 odd years. I am well-acquainted with the idea of voluntary service and range membership. I have been a member of several different ranges over the past four decades.

I have nothing against the voluntary work. Most ranges require it.

Also, I made no mention of volunteer work in my original comments, only the probationary membership requirements, which you did not address.

So, demonstrably, you are grossly mistaken about my understanding of non-profit ranges, and you missed my point.

As I said, the probationary membership thing, which the other ranges do not require, makes it very difficult for someone who lives in Edmonton to make the commitment to religiously attend meetings, and to show up at the range frequently, in order to qualify for a full membership, down the road.

And, I am absolutely certain that many people who contact you to inquire about memberships do agree with me, and do not join your club for that reason.

As I said, it is quite practical for locals to comply with your requirements, since they only need to travel short distances.

And, it is your club, and it is absolutely your right to set the rules.

I am sure that it is a fine club, but it may not be a practical option for many.