PDA

View Full Version : Still two months to go?

merk1
03-11-2009, 09:12 AM
I know it's early to ask, but walking by the boat every day I just can't stop thinking of it. What is the first open water some of you hit in the spring with the boat for fishing. This will be my 2nd year for a boat, I waited for May long weekend last year, but this year I want to get out as soon as the regs let me. Is there any you can get on earlier than others, that is safe with water levels. I relize most are not open until May, but lakes around Red Deer had ice in May 2008. Thanks, next 2 months are going to be hard.

nicemustang
03-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Southern lakes open May 7th. They are usually open and pike fishing is hot if you know where to go.

Dacotensis
03-11-2009, 09:39 AM
merk1
I know how you feel.
I shelled out $5000 to redo my boat interior, floor was rotted and upholstry was shot.
I'll tell ya though. I would have put it off another year If I would have known my layoff was comming.:cry:
Now I don't know if I'll be able to afford more than one trip out.
In any event I will make that onew trip count.

merk1
03-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks, If the ice and water level lets me I plan on going to McGregor May 9th, I have a hot spot that produced a lot of 4-9 lb pike in the fall. Hoping early spring I can find the bigger ones still there, most day's it's not a boat friendly lake and to get to my spot it's about 30min by boat

pdfish
03-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm pulling the boat out as soon as the ice is off the river. Actually, dodging ice flows might be fun. :D