PDA

View Full Version : Aparently southern alberta lakes are to small!!.... HOw close is to close?

Wes_G
07-10-2016, 09:27 PM
So fishing at Chin today we are bottom bouncing down a shoreline probably about 100' from shore when we see some idiot (I have many other names to call him but don't want to get kicked off the forum) in a jet boat coming down the shoreline. There is another boat further down the shore from us, thats further out than us, but he passes between them and shore, he then keeps coming down the shoreline and passes full speed between us and shore about 60' away. In seeing our ****ed off state he then turns his boat around and pulls up, shuts it down and asks if there is a problem. I couldn't seem to get a reason out of him why he felt the need to pass between us and shore when on the other side of us there is a good half km of lake between us and the far shore line without a single boat anywhere in sight.. I also made sure to tell him I would have no problem doing the same to him if I saw him out again. After a couple minutes of being berated by use he fires the POS back up and takes back off from 20' away with motor trimmed up making as much wake as possible.

Now here is the real kicker.. I would have expected something like this from some ignorant 20 year old driving a wake boarding boat, but this was a fellow fisherman with a bow mount on the front of his boat who saw no problem with being such a D-bag. I really hope he is on this forum and reads this as well.

So here is my question, Other then being a complete jerk off, what is going on in someones head to make them do something like this.. and what does everyone else think is to close? what would you have done?

BuckCuller
07-10-2016, 09:50 PM
You should try Sylvan Lake.
YOU WOULD LOOSE YOUR MIND!

Wes_G
07-10-2016, 10:01 PM
I am aware some lakes are busy and there may be no other options, but I just don't understand why go by on the inside when there is a good 500 meters of lake on the otherside without a boat in sight.

huntsfurfish
07-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Afraid some out there are just jerks! The biggest ones are the ones that circle back to ask if you have a problem.

You will encounter this again. People like that have no class and no respect for others.

Wes, hope you had a good day besides that!

Whiskey
07-10-2016, 10:12 PM
People are stupid, that is why. He honestly probably didn't think there was anything wrong with it. I see it all the time on Dillberry Lake near Provost, it is small and I always hide my boat in a small inlet but some idiot always decides to drive the extra 100 feet. Just be happy you aren't one of the countless stupid people who waste good oxygen.

RavYak
07-10-2016, 10:16 PM
From my kayak I usually try and stay out of casting distance while passing someone. But I don't create much wake, noise etc...

I just like to think people with boats are jerks(joking, for the most part lol...).

BuckCuller
07-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Last time I was out at Buffalo lake we were fishing a hundred yards off shore an this lady started spinning circles around us with a seadoo telling us not to fish in front of thier property. My buddy yelled at her husband or boyfriend on shore and told him if he doesn't take control of her we were going to take control of him. The seadoo got beached and she got a butt chewing.
HaHa.

densa44
07-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Just read the post and you will all be able to figure it out. You can't annoy other people without getting push back from government. Tough luck.

PerchBuster
07-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Yes I agree that is too close and just an ignorant thing to do. I guess that is another good example of the self entitled morons out there thinking they can do whatever they want to with no respect or consideration for anyone else. I would like to think they are the minority out there and that most real fisherman would have much more common courtesy than that. I personally would never run up on somebody like that, for one its dangerous, I've almost been tossed out of my boat a couple times by guys creating big wake too close like that while I was fishing up on the casting deck. Jerks like that would probably think its funny but that's how people drowned.

Newellknik
07-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Infers that safe speeds must be adhered to at all times , particularly
In relation to shorelines . You should have taken a picture of his
Boat when he approached , told him you were contacting the proper
Authorities and that he was in breach of the DOT Safe boating Regulations .
When within 100 ft of shore or other boats , swimmers etc .slow speeds
Are necessary. At this point I usually show him my Boating Safety Instructors
Card ....from the Feds . Tell him I am contacting the RCMP and likely his boat
And Operators Licence
will be impounded when he returns to the launch . Say nothing else .
What really works good ,is get someone to video the exchange . I asked
The last guy to speak up , in case we had to go to court .

Definitely contact F&W , they are just itchin to write some of those
Big Boating Tickets .

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/TP-511e.pdf

EZM
07-11-2016, 04:28 PM
If the guy that was clearly acting like a tough guy had to circle back to challenge you to ask "what's your problem" he is clearly, purposely, and with intent acting like a jerk and trying to provoke an issue.

There will come a day in these people's lives where their actions, imposed upon the wrong person, will cost them their teeth.

Things have a way of coming around. Karma.

In the meantime chalk it up to a test of your patience .... and try to ignore the idiot .... really not worth taking matters into your own hands or escalating something so stupid.

I seriously doubt F&W would do a thing without a video.

PerchBuster
07-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Infers that safe speeds must be adhered to at all times , particularly
In relation to shorelines . You should have taken a picture of his
Boat when he approached , told him you were contacting the proper
Authorities and that he was in breach of the DOT Safe boating Regulations .
When within 100 ft of shore or other boats , swimmers etc .slow speeds
Are necessary. At this point I usually show him my Boating Safety Instructors
Card ....from the Feds . Tell him I am contacting the RCMP and likely his boat
And Operators Licence
will be impounded when he returns to the launch . Say nothing else .
What really works good ,is get someone to video the exchange . I asked
The last guy to speak up , in case we had to go to court .

Definitely contact F&W , they are just itchin to write some of those
Big Boating Tickets .

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/TP-511e.pdf

I'm with you brother! I like this! Safety first, those who negligently place others in any degree of peril like that on the water need their wallets lightened up real good at the very least!

Brandonkop
07-11-2016, 07:40 PM
So I didn't know Alberta and BC have a speed limit of 10 km/hr unless 100 feet from shore. I'm sure that gets broke a lot. There is one exception which is when you are recreational towing, which we do all the time. I guess that makes it legal.

So he was 60 feet away? Going how fast?

Even though it would be annoying I don't see how this would put your life at risk. Usually the wake is smaller at higher speeds anyways. I usually don't like when people slow down to pass us when fishing cause then they make these huge rollers.

I guess I'm used to being on busy lakes growing up like Long Lake which is narrow and crazy busy. Kalamalka BC. People drive fast within 60 feet or less all the time on those lakes.

But you are right though I do often wonder why do they have to go between you and the shoreline. That doesn't make any sense at all. Should always try to pass on the side with more room.

Glad there were no black eyes. Have to be careful these days people have minimal respect for life and will kill on a whim it seems.

As for those KAYAK anglers you got to watch out for them... they're in stealth mode out there. Haha!

Sooner
07-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Last time I was out at Buffalo lake we were fishing a hundred yards off shore an this lady started spinning circles around us with a seadoo telling us not to fish in front of thier property. My buddy yelled at her husband or boyfriend on shore and told him if he doesn't take control of her we were going to take control of him. The seadoo got beached and she got a butt chewing.
HaHa.

Like :) ^^^^^

Was trolling along Fawcett lakes shoreline a few moons ago when a guy in a river boat did the same. They were joy riding trying to hug the shoreline. We were in a 12 ft tinner. Not fun when the wake came by.

Whats with people defending the water out in front of a cabin. Like its theirs.

Warmbreeze
07-12-2016, 12:03 AM
I was on a 100 square mile lake mid October (so very few fishermen), and launch was empty when I went out. Guy pulls up within casting distance. When I left it was just his truck and trailer. So in 100 square miles and literally 2 boats on lake he had to fish beside me. He didn't say a word and didn't respond to me. I found another place to fish.

Another time I am ice fishing at a lake rarely fished, sled/quad into only, with tonnes of structure and a group starts drilling holes between mine. Then even fish my holes! Again I just left to a different spot.

I probably could have been assertive but the only adrenaline I want is from fish! Some people are just rude, arrogant, ignorant, and/or stupid.

Just know you are good looking and he had to come near for a closer look!

Would be nice if they didn't do this though.

wildbill
07-12-2016, 12:22 AM
Lots of dbags this day and age!

npauls
07-12-2016, 06:34 PM
What color jet boat wes? I probably know who the guy is.

Walleyedude
07-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Just read the post and you will all be able to figure it out. You can't annoy other people without getting push back from government. Tough luck.

Who's talking about banning motor boats?

Only you from what I can tell. Government bans seem to be your answer to everything.

Wes_G
07-13-2016, 11:31 PM
What color jet boat wes? I probably know who the guy is.

I honestly cant remember, but now that you say that I wish I did. Didn't even look at the brand of it, I was to busy giving him my 2 cents.

winmag
07-14-2016, 01:44 PM
or the big ski boats[ pulling no skiers] music blaring crossing your bow from port side[left] not yielding heading to shore when you are on plane they just have to beat you so you have to throttle way back or veer away

dodger
07-15-2016, 06:50 AM
I have had several boats go screaming past me between the shore and my boat this year. I like the idea of taking a video of this and maybe pass it along to the fish cops.

Plus I have had the usual amount of boats come flying up the lake and then power down beside me and start fishing. This is without another boat being in sight. I usually just pack up and move to another spot.

Dodger.

Kim473
07-15-2016, 07:26 AM
I can understand people not wanting fisherman right infront of there property and close to the shore. How would you like to be standing in the water and then step on a fish hook. This guy was a jerk for sure. Too bad there isn't more RCMP on the waters for boating infractions to hand out big fines and possible inpoundment of boats.