PDA

View Full Version : How's the Skeena Thus Far? What about the ocean?

Marty S
07-13-2016, 07:59 AM
Watching the numbers on Noel Gyger's site, the Chinook indexes look kinda poor, it's supposed to be going bonkers right now or so, isn't it?

So how's the Chinook fishing on the Skeena? Is the fishing in the ocean slow too or is it all good and the run a little late?

philintheblank
07-13-2016, 09:42 AM
I was in prince rupert fishing in the ocean a week ago. There were lots of people on the skeena when we drove past.we were fishing in the ocean but We only caught 2 chinooks. Got a couple pinks and a bunch of cohos as well. Heard the locals say people are catching them on the river

Chewbacca
07-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Springs are still being caught up by the Dundas. Their run is pretty much over. Lots of Coho and Pinks.Halibut was good. Lots of people fishing along the Skeena. I was told the Sockeye just opened on the river.
Didn't want to come home. Something about the smell of the ocean and screeching of the bald eagles.
No mosquitos.
Whole different attitude there. At least at Prince Rupert.

Scott h
07-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Right now I'm sitting at our place in Masset (QCI) having a PB&J sandwich after fishing the morning tide for 2 hours. We took home 2 coho and 2 chinook. The ocean fishing has been good since we got here on the 28th with the coho really turning on this last week. There seems to be tons around. The chinook fishing has been consistent also but all our fish have been only 12 - 24 pounds. Nice but no huge ones (at least for us). I'm not sure how that translates to the saltwater around PR as we are around 70km's away

Dark
07-13-2016, 03:46 PM
We just got back from Rupert on Sunday.
3 day fishing we got 16 salmon. 4 Chinook 10 to 15 lbs.
The rest Coho between 8 to 12 lbs.
Lots of Pinks all released.
Couple of 125 cm Hali's
Spent one day/night at Dundas I have the bug bites to prove it!!!
The rest of the time around Melville and a trip out to Triple Island only to get skunked.

Brandonkop
07-13-2016, 10:47 PM
For some reason this was expected to be a great year at least on the west coast of the island due to a huge return to Columbia river.... but as far as I know it hasn't happened. Chinook has been pretty slow everywhere from what I'm reading.

Scott h
07-14-2016, 09:28 AM
For some reason this was expected to be a great year at least on the west coast of the island due to a huge return to Columbia river.... but as far as I know it hasn't happened. Chinook has been pretty slow everywhere from what I'm reading.

We are getting lots up here in Masset.

Fishhunter
07-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Slow in Rupert for springs spent last week at Dundas and area lots of coho,pinks and the odd spring. I kept a close eye on the small guide boats working the wall they were getting a few but not many and not to big either. Lots of people on the river more than last year this time so I guess that's got to say something. We had a great trip nonstop coho and my wife caught a 254 lbs Hali. My brother is there now still the same lots of coho and the odd spring.

Dark
07-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Same results as us

Tofinoguy
07-15-2016, 06:55 AM

They don't get those fish off Prince Rupert.

WE are having the best fishing in several years in our area. Limiting out in less than 2 hours on 20 lb plus Chinooks

Wild&Free
07-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Friends from back home are saying that runs are 3 weeks early this year.

K44
07-16-2016, 12:07 PM
just got back from Terrace I have a cabin there and this is the worst year of fishing I,ve seen