PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Salmon This Morning in the River

Mangosteen
07-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Loads of Salmon at OK Falls dam this morning.

People snagging and cleaning them like crazy. Good to see them back this way

Kurt505
07-14-2016, 10:17 AM
OK falls dam? where is that at?

Mangosteen
07-14-2016, 05:23 PM
OK falls dam? where is that at?

Just north of Osoyoos. Or just South of Kelowna.

Along highway 97. The town is called Okanagan Falls.

OK Falls. Used to be water falls there but they put a dam on the river. Just recently they added fish ladders so now there is Salmon all the way up to Penticton.

See loads of Alberta Plates around that particular town so thought the tourists would want a look see.

Redfrog
07-14-2016, 08:27 PM
What kind of salmon? Pics?

the local angler
07-14-2016, 08:33 PM
snagging?

Kurt505
07-14-2016, 08:35 PM
Just north of Osoyoos. Or just South of Kelowna.

Along highway 97. The town is called Okanagan Falls.

OK Falls. Used to be water falls there but they put a dam on the river. Just recently they added fish ladders so now there is Salmon all the way up to Penticton.

See loads of Alberta Plates around that particular town so thought the tourists would want a look see.

That's where Google told me it was, I just had to make sure. That would be a cool spectacle.

Tofinoguy
07-15-2016, 06:52 AM
snagging?

Snagging is illegal and unethical :angry3:

buckman
07-15-2016, 12:22 PM
Snagging is illegal and unethical :angry3:

Only for most of us!!

walking buffalo
07-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Before the native bashing gets rollin.....

You guys might want to educate yourself as to how this salmon run was restored.

Sharpie
07-15-2016, 03:49 PM
I snag fish all the time..................... in the mouth with a hook, just fishin talk, no need for everyone to get all worked up.

Richmuiz
07-15-2016, 04:48 PM
It's a joke there they snag them anyway they can I don't know why a co isn't there all the time.

fish99
07-15-2016, 06:34 PM
in the early 80,s people used to snag the salmon while standing on the dam ,and have the ones they snag laying on the dam, when the fish cops showed up one truck on each side of river they would kick the salmon back in the river. so they would not get a fine. not much has changed in 30 years.

goldscud
07-15-2016, 10:13 PM
Some background:
http://www.oliverchronicle.com/okanagan-nation-food-fishery-begins-at-sx%CA%B7%C9%99x%CA%B7nitk%CA%B7-okanagan-falls/

Brandonkop
07-16-2016, 12:12 AM
Yeah this is a sockeye salmon run. They are mostly in the 2 to 4 pound range and some Years there is a sport fishery for them in osooyos lake which is crazy to go salmon fishing with downriggers and salmon gear in the middle of the dessert but they're there.

This has been accomplished by the work or the Native Tribes north and south or the boarder. The ONA they call it in Canada. This really is one of the greatest restorations in wild salmon. It has worked so well they keep expanding with more hatcheries and hope to get coho and chinook back in the okanagan as well.

Here's a couple videos I did at osooyos sockeye fishing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJRnQ3Gjmfo

And here's and under water one of sockeye being the flashers on down rigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6SfZkpOrO4

Wild&Free
07-16-2016, 11:04 AM
Yea, sockeye are caught in the rivers with a technique called flossing.

They are not aggressive and will not strike at lures, or bait or much else really. When they get into lakes it's a bit different, but in flowing water not happening.

So what anglers do is cast out and as the sockeye open and close their mouths breathing as they swim, they will grab the line in the water, the angler then strips it in quickly to get a hook set in the mouth(area) to reel them in. It's snagging, but a technique to snag them on the lips not the body. Once they get into spawning mode and get red they become more aggressive and will strike at lures, but by that point they're not great table fare.

the local angler
07-16-2016, 10:18 PM
thanks for the definition on that technique i have heard about that being used up in alaska. not too familiar with that till now, so now i know the difference then what i was originally thinking. lol

Wild&Free
07-17-2016, 01:36 AM
thanks for the definition on that technique i have heard about that being used up in alaska. not too familiar with that till now, so now i know the difference then what i was originally thinking. lol

Salmon in fresh water are different then any other species you'll fish for. They react differently and to different things you wouldn't expect. Where they are in the run also has a factor in how they respond. Closer to the salt and closer to the spawning areas are the best bet for maximum aggression, with the exception of sockeye, then you want them in open water. Though there are some runs of Chinook and Coho that will migrate through lakes and they can be fun if you find em in the open water.

To fish for Sockeye in open fresh water, you run a hoochie (little squid looking jig body) 3-4' behind a flasher between 40-50' down in front of the rivers they'll be spawning in. Or floss them in the rivers.

58thecat
07-17-2016, 01:42 AM
in the early 80,s people used to snag the salmon while standing on the dam ,and have the ones they snag laying on the dam, when the fish cops showed up one truck on each side of river they would kick the salmon back in the river. so they would not get a fine. not much has changed in 30 years.

And that is why regulations are getting harsher, it's a good thing that the F&W officers have technology to sit back and observed this then nail the *****s, just wish there was more officers out but they will do the best they can with the resources provided.