PDA

View Full Version : Killing Coyotes

gunner 83
12-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Alot of people like calling coyotes. Just wondering about opinions about killing coyotes for well....the sake of killing coyotes. Not for fur but for controlling the predator population.

The poll question is...is it ok to kill a coyote and leave it?

jrs
12-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Depends on circumstances. In some areas or where mange is an epidemic i can see leaving them. I'd rather see guys thinning out the foxes and raccoons myself and leaving a few more yotes around to control them. Not saying pass up on any, a yotes a yote and many more will be hiding where you'll never see them. I try to use something off mostly everything i shoot though, i even had a friend taking gophers couple years back.

Charmax
12-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Down south here we have a big problem with them getting to our cattle. So I have know problem shooting them and leaving them where they lay. Its a yote or my cattle.

grandslamer1
12-07-2006, 02:30 AM
leaving them is just stupid even when the prices are down u can still get 10 to 15 each on the carcus 25 to 35 this year

i even meet a guy said he wouldnt was his time for 15 dollars but damn near killed himself trying to get a 5 dollar bill that blew across the feild

buying pelts
12-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Does anyone have a contact for someone willing to buy coyotes pelts on the carcass?

aulrich
12-07-2006, 12:21 PM
I am a depends as well and for the standard reason a farmer/rancher or someone on there direct behalf has the right to protect thier lively hood.

For me I leave them till their prime. There is an upside and a downside to the leave'em lay crowed it is a shame to let a usable resource go to waste. But it does reduce the number being sold off cheap in the round.

rugatika
12-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know someone in Edmonton that would buy the whole carcass?

Ice Fishing Maniac
12-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Depends on circumstances as jrs said. If I'm out predator hunting, I'll keep them, and if they are around when the calves are being born in Jan-March, and they are being a pest, then possibly not.

Piglet
12-07-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm from the "if you kill it, use it" crowd, but I'm not here to bash anyone's way of life.

A question, some of you posters here seem to be from the ranching community. I have had opportunity to hunt ranch country for the passed few years and the land owners I talked to about the coyotes on their property have said they are not a problem.

I fact one even told me that in many years of ranching he had never seen a coyote go after his cattle, and this is on a ranch where I had 5 yotes in my scope at the same time.

Now these people let me hunt the property so they are not trying to stop me from shooting, they just seem to have no problem with the coyotes.

But everytime I see posts here with coyotes as a subject some say they are an epidemic and should be wiped out, and one poster said that they go after cattle.

I find it hard to believe a coyote could take down a cow and have watched them walk right through herds of cattle without batting an eye, and the cows didn't seem to concerned either (not that cows are the brightest, but they would be skittish if the coyote was a danger to them).

Just wondering, perhaps one of you experienced people can enlighten me.

Thanks

rugatika
12-07-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm not a rancher. I talked to a farmer last summer around Mayerthorpe and he was telling me about coyote problems. He said that he couldn't keep a dog around the yard cause the coyotes would kill them. (They lure a dog out of the yard and then gang up on it) I've heard of wolves doing this too. I've also heard of yotes going after calves as they are being born and young ones. Never heard of yotes going after a full grown cow though and frankly don't think they could get a full grown cow unless it was fairly sick.

Charmax
12-07-2006, 03:27 PM
[Never heard of yotes going after a full grown cow though and frankly don't think they could get a full grown cow unless it was fairly sick.]

They chase the cows and nip at thier heels and some will even bit the bag of the cows and that will stop them from feeding the calves if it is to sore. So they need a bullet.

aulrich
12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Halfordhides buys them in Edmonton

rugatika
12-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the info Charmax. Just gives me another reason to blast some yotes this winter.

jrs
12-07-2006, 04:37 PM
I have a cousing in Manitoba who ranches and siad he's had troubles during calving. The bears were worse where he's at though, he said his neighbor shot 100 black bears in one season. Including a one aday streak that went over a month. The coyotes stress the cattle more than attack them. I know they'll chew up irrigation attachments, causes some really leaky pipes and hoses come spring.

Duffy4
12-07-2006, 04:51 PM
I too have never really heard of any real problems with coyotes and cows. Of course most of the farmers I know calve out around the farm and have some dogs. There are lots of coyotes in the area of my inlaws but they have never lost a calf to a coyote. They shoot at every one they see though. I think it is just the "farmer attitude" that any "predator" must be bad news. (they shoot at hawks and owls too and trap magpies)

If there is a real problem one method is to shoot the problem. I think that is ok. But I always make use of a coyote I shoot.

Robin down under

Blakeinator2
12-07-2006, 05:30 PM
My uncle is close to town, he's got tons of land in the area approved for me to go calling coyotes(probably been killing a dozen a year out of there recreational calling), they are a problem to most folks around him and they can't get me out there enough to shoot them. His neighbor lost a calf to them this year and last fall they cornered a fork horn muley in his yard up against the wind fence and killed and ate the whole thing in one night. This is common if they get too numerous...and they are in his area. Deer herds have taken huge beatings when the right winter rolls around and the coyotes pack up on them. Right now the local herd is back up to about 30 animals but used to run around 60 and got beat down as low as 10 or 11. I started calling them when they were low several years ago....killing that dozen or so a year seems to help.

I find about 50% of the folks 'out there' don't mind you shootin em and the other half likes them and wants them left alone(except around my uncle where they all want them all dead). I imagine once they start crawling all over peoples yards and the odd guy loses a calf then its probably time to let loose on em.

My own opinion is let loose on em fulltime, anytime, and always;) , and with any and all calibers(the bigger the better)...and yes they are useful.....useful for taking pictures with, at least thats how i make use of them. If a guy wanted to pay for some gas/ammo/a new gun etc. then sell em. To me its worth it to leave their flea bitten stinkin arses right where the picture is taken with them. Drag their sorry arses back to the truck, throw them in the truck bleedin & stinkin all over your truck, then save them for a trip later on to sell them. Yeah right. I'd probably do it if i lived in Edmonton where they don't get the chinooks as i could keep them frozen in yard...as i am not buying a freezer big enough to keep them good and i'm not driving them 2 hours one way(Bruce Beasley in Brooks) to sell everytime there is a chinook.....for 20-30 bucks a mutt...no thanks. I'll leave all that for the trapper guys who do it full time, not worth for my recreational calling arse.

This year its all about the .270 for them.....keeeerrrrrSPLAT!!!! Say cheese, okay drop it, lets get going to the next stand.

Actually i've got to skin a few this year for some family/friends who want some tanned hides to hang....not really lookin forward to it but sometimes you just gotta.

There, that outta stir things up a little....the beautiful thing about coyotes is...we can actually think like this about them and we can just leave em lay. Or we can be all noble and skin them out and sell them etc. and save the skull etc. Nothing wrong with either.

Coyotes....also known as big furry magpies without wings. KeeeerrrrrrSPLAT!:lol

B:lol

p.s. guess you know where i voted? also, they should allow road hunting/shooting from the truck for coyotes imo, its just the right thing to do imo :rollin , although i prefer calling them and getting the pictures i still think they should let guys go cruising for them on snowy winters days...old school;)

Jamie Hunt
12-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I learned some "old school" ways of killing yotes. Might have to try it this year.

Yotes, southern alberta's answer to Black bears in grain fields.

Jamie

Grizzly Adams
12-07-2006, 10:55 PM
I sees em, I shoot at them. Don't always hit em, but it keeps em on their toes and they don't come around looking to eat our cats or share the dogs food, as they do at the neighbors.:lol
Grizz

220 Swift
12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
here's my take. On the farm in Sask, the coyotes never really bothered at calving time. They did come into the corrals and harrassed the cow and calves but nothing happened. Although, the neighbor down the road had coyotes attack a cow while she was down calving. They coyotes killed/ ate part of the calf, as it was being born. They coyotes also ate part of the cows back end as it was down pushing. they had to shoot the cow when they found her.

M70
12-08-2006, 11:41 AM
I live out in the country and any of the coyotes that come onto my place are going to get lead poisoning from a 40 gr pill. I've shot coyotes that have come right up to the playground set when my dogs have been penned up. I usually let my Bouvier loose on the property because she could probably take care of herself but my lab is only let out of the kennel when supervised. I've come home to see my Bouvier chasing one coyote in circles in our pasture while two others were just waiting on the side lines. I'd hate to think what might have happened to her if I hadn't come home to scare them off.

My in-laws have a cow/calf operation and although they have never had a cow taken by coyotes, they have lost a few calves over the years. In their experience though, it is pretty rare. Mostly, the coyotes seem to hang around to get at the afterbirth.

yotes
12-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Them bastards deserve every hot bullet they get. We knock em down in the barley field every couple of days, then wack the rest of the ones that come to eat the dead one.

Blakeinator2
12-08-2006, 12:09 PM
"Them bastards deserve every hot bullet they get."

Now thats the spirit! I LOVE IT!:lol :lol

Thats right fellow rednecks, lets make this the winter we take all our frustrations out on mr. wiley coyote! Its the right thing to do! Leave the pea shooters at home...take the biggest gun in the cabinet...lets start a sticky thread to post pics of the carnage too.:rollin Lets see how many rednecks can turn a coyote into a canoe this year!

B;)

rugatika
12-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Damn Blakeinator, that is the most politically incorrect, redneck thing I've read on this board. Coyotes are vermin, like skunks, mice, rats, and porcupines.

Awesome. You sir, are an inspiration.

Let me pre-empt any comments from the fairer people of this province...

"That is reprehensible...it gives hunters a bad image!!"

"I'm shocked!!"

"OH DEAR!!"

"I suppose you kill mice too!"

"ALL animals deserve respect and love!, How would you like it if coyotes tried to kill you."

"People shouldn't use cows for food anyway."

I think that covers it. Feel free to add any soft comments at will.

Charmax
12-08-2006, 01:53 PM
These last two posts say it all.

Kill those mother @#$%ers, kill them all.

Blakeinator2
12-08-2006, 02:56 PM
:rollin

Hunting season is over, just thought i'd say it like most people think it for once!:lol :lol Just in a bit of a mood i guess.:o

B

walleyes
12-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Oh my goodness,,, how could you,,, well I have never,,, :lol :lol
:lol
Hah hah you got er rites boys,, these thigs are verman,, and should be treated like gophers, mice anything of the sort...
Damn devil dogs...

shotgun
12-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I plan on doing my part this Sunday...buddy had a bull die last week. That mixed with some calling should bring in a couple of yoters.

Duffy4
12-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Rats and starlings and a few other non-native critters that have been brought here and disrupt the natural systems, I consider "vermin". But all native animals I have respect for. Some can be hunted and killed for various reasons.

I am surprised by what some of you above have been saying. I always considered myself a bit of a "redneck" but I sure would not agree with some of you on this thread.

Robin down under

depopulator
12-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Kill em all , dam varmints !!

WCTHEMI
12-08-2006, 07:21 PM
How else can we practice shooting in the winter?:D

ruger300
12-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Yeah the dirt birds need to eat too I guess.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/ruger300/2005-06yotes2.jpg
That's $1000 worth of fur on my barn that I called in last year. Paid for a new varmint rifle and part of the scope. Just my hobby I like to do in the dead of winter when there's not much else to do 'cept sit in front of the tv and drink. Just my views on keeping fur. Know a lot of guys that hunt deer and let the meat freezer burn cause they're too lazy to do anything with it too. Kinda sounds where this thread is heading.

ruger300

Duffy4
12-09-2006, 12:19 AM
A nice lot of fur. What kind and cal. rifle and bullet type do you use? Where do you sell your fur? Do you get many fox?Seeing that pic of pelts and $ figure makes you wonder how much fur (and dollars)ends up rotting in the fields each year.

Robin down under

gunner 83
12-09-2006, 01:00 AM
I like the one third from the left. very nice looking

chef
12-09-2006, 01:06 AM
that many dogs hangin round and the cat just sits and teases:lol
nice barn wrap you got on the go should stay warm but id fix the window for the breeze or the cat,ll get out:b
GOOD JOB ON THE DOG DUSTIN.
I LUV THAT STUFF.

jrs
12-09-2006, 01:18 AM
Someone mentioned starlings. I'm going out to buddies farm once i get my 223 sighted in. What a blast, litterally. The 22 is enough fun but practice wise i think the bigger caliber will be worth the money in bullets. Will help all the other birds out come spring also, they sure clean out the bluebird boxes if the hole gets a bit big. They went out for coyotes today out their but could only find whitetails. Funny as i couldn't find them during rifle season. Oh well. The coyote fur should be getting pretty thick now, perfect wall hanging materials.

bugletoo
12-09-2006, 02:45 AM
I personally don't have an issue with leaving them. I am however a miser and if you do a little asking in your area you will find someone who will take them "round" and will give you a couple of dollars as well. Provided they aren't cut in half or mangy. It pays for my shells or arrows which ever, some gas and it gives me an excuse to still get out. If your needed to sell it to a spouse etc.
I also think leaving carcusses all over doesn't do any group any positive publisity either so if they fall visiable moving to a less visual spot. Thats my two cents thanx.

P.S my buddy gets about 200 a year and averages 10-15 dollars a head. Not to bad a pass time. Everybody wins.

ruger300
12-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks Duffy, I use centerfire .22's. 22-250, 223,and now .204. Use exculsively hrndy vmax bullets round the 50gr mark. Have yet to call in a red fox but am trying hard. All this snow is putting a damper on my calling season. Tough to get around where I usually set up and tough to convince the yotes its worth slugging through bellydeep snow to check out the noise they're hearing. Here's a couple that decided the growling in their bellies was worth the look.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/ruger300/2006yote1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/ruger300/2006yote2.jpg
Talk to ya later.

ruger300

BIG J
12-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Ive been looking at buying a varmint rifle and am unsure what caliber would be best.I am leaning towards .204 ruger or .223.What do you find more accurate for shots in the 400yd. range??Thanks in advance for any info!

400 yds 22-250
12-09-2006, 01:15 PM
At that distance better step up to a 22-250 or a 220. I dont think shooting all coyotes is right either as they eat small rodents and do a service for us farm folks by cleaning up a dead animal. I do take shot at them whenever they venture to close to yard. Never lost a calf to coyotes yet. What call would a person use to call coyotes in as i know a ranch on the edge of big grazing lease on the open prairie that needs coyote control?

Wayne Grez 99
12-09-2006, 08:31 PM
"Yotes or my cattle". Yotes can take down cattle???? Not sure I believe that...it's my livestock (1000lbs) or the yote (40lbs). LOL.

But seeing as we've eradicated the wolves out here (Edm area) we do need something to control the coyote #'s.....lest they eat all our cows! LOL!

ruger300
12-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Use any sort of distress call. Jackrabbit, fawn bawl, cottontail, etc. The yotes will come into the screaming. Once it gets to late Jan early Feb, a bit of coyote vocals will bring them into gun range as well. Hell, coyote vocals work anytime of the year. They kinda get territorial. Good luck.

ruger300

bacon grease
12-10-2006, 02:14 AM
Hey Ruger that 1st 1 in tne snow looks mangy. Do you bother with the mangy ones? Dad and I used to run a trapline near 3 Hills when I was younger. I can remember when we would skin out a mangy dog and still get $80-100 with no tail. Best we got for a single yote was $280 I believe but we averaged some where around $160 for years in the late 70's early 80's. Dad bought a brand new Rem model 700 BDL heavy barrel in .243 with one pelt in '77 give or take one year! So it seems like alot of work to go to to get $1000 for 26 yotes - only about $38-39 average. Got spoiled I guess. When you can sell them in the round for $25 that's only paying $10-15 to skin, flesh, and strech the pelts. All that said, I'm still tempted every year to get back into it 'cause I really enjoyed it.

sharpstick
12-10-2006, 09:03 PM
99 they do impact cattle operations, a pack killed a calf as it was being born two years ago on our farm, we got there and they had eaten the head off the calf and the mother was so tired from fighting them off she would not get up, we helped her deliver the rest of the calf! luckily the cow was ok!
This is rare and I believe location is a factor.
I have also witnessed 12 coyotes take down a mature whitetail buck in early december(close to our farm), went back 10 hours later and all that was left was the skull and spine.
Just some info, to reduce the coyote population you have to remove more than 75% of the coyotes otherwise they will just replace that many more the following year. (a little research I did after they took that calf.)
I shoot them, sell the fur, the more I shoot, the more there seems to be??

aulrich
12-11-2006, 01:41 PM
I was reading some reasearch and there are some conditions that if you shoot some you end up with more. First off you need good habitat then you need a family group with a couple of female pups hanging around, generaly in a group like that only the alpha female breeds. But if she gets smoked then the remaining female pups will breed and if the habitiat is good enough they will split-up the apha pairs range and you end up with alot more pups the next spring.

I'll look for the references for that.

groundedpigeon
12-12-2006, 12:46 PM
I was talking to a fellow hunter the other day and I said that I'd be interested in taking a coyote or 2 down with my 222 but I'd need to stop into the owner's place to get permission. He downplayed it somewhat & hinted that in the country if you see one in the field, the owner probably wouldn't mind if you just took it without asking for their approval. Interested to hear what you think.

Rackmastr
12-12-2006, 12:50 PM
He downplayed it somewhat & hinted that in the country if you see one in the field, the owner probably wouldn't mind if you just took it without asking for their approval. Interested to hear what you think.

The farmer owns the land....dont let some idiot convince you that just cause its a coyote, its not important. Get permission and get out there and have fun. You'll build relationships with the rancher/farmer, and you wont be breaking the law. Tell your friend he's an idiot if he figures he can just shoot em cause their pests without asking permission.

BigMacQ
12-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Well said Trev...

Look at it this way - It's not hard to take a little time out of your day to make contact with the farmer/rancher and build a relationship. If you can stay on his good side, he'll probably be more likely to grant you access in future hunting seasons when other game are wandering around his property.

It's the morons that don't ask permission that end up screwing everything up for the rest of us.

ask permis
12-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Around our farm there is a few that dont like coyotes being shot because they think they might eat a few gophers. Best ask save ur self some grief not gettin chewed out by landowner and possibly getting the land posted.

Blakeinator2
12-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah, feels much better shooting em from truck on land that you do have permission on...at least then you can run out and get a picture instead of just stepping on the gas.:lol

All kidding aside, i find its well worth asking...some places you go you figure forsure you'll have no trouble getting permission to coyote hunt but you then find the land owner likes coyotes for cleaning things up and killing gophers/mice etc.

Then you try a place you figure there's not much chance you'll get permission and it turns out they hate coyotes and they'll tell you exactly where they hang out and hear them howl every night etc. etc.

So its definitely worth asking permission....it should go without saying.

B

ruger300
12-17-2006, 01:35 AM
Hey BG, I leave the mangy ones for the ravens to eat, Mange is a skin disease that I do not want to recieve. (I figure I already got it on the top of my skull.) Seriously, the first year I got back into skinnin out yotes I ended up with some friggin itchy weird rash on my left arm right at the wrist. It stayed with me for months, went and seen the local doc and all he said was try some steroid cream on it. It worked eventually but it kinda freaked me out. I wore gloves when I skin but... Now any yote that is showing signs of full blown mange stays where it lies. I skin out the borderline ones but I believe they bring my average price per pelt down. Plus they stink even worse than the average yote. Still its good fun on a cold winter evening, reliving my childhood. And what the hell, I get enough pelts to cover the cost of a new varmint rifle the new year and I don't get grief from the wife for doing so. Win/win the way I figure it.
Hunt hard and shoot straight.

ruger300

ruger300
12-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Here's two that came to call on a windy morning today. Been huntin hard for the last 2 weekends have seen nothing. Was kinda reassuring to kill these 2. Was thinking I lost my touch. Best lookin fur yet. Will have a few hides to take to the Feb sale.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/ruger300/2006yote3.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/ruger300/2006yote4.jpg
Hunt hard and shoot straight.

ruger300

bacon grease
12-19-2006, 01:47 AM
Well I just got my 22-250 encore barrel from Sheephunter today so I'm kinda wanting to get her set up and shooting so I can get a few myself. Been years since I bothered to hunt them but I'm wanting to fill up some Sat in the next month or so. Happy hunting!

Cabot
12-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Hey ruger300,

I see you have some snow, where are you from if you don't mind me asking? I've been trying to get some in since the last storm we had but man they're not moving at all. It's going to be warm here for a few days, I hope that we get a good crust on top of that 3 feet of snow we already have. They'll be moving better then.

Nice shooting ruger300, keep'em coming.

Cabot.

Rubber Ducky
12-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Anybody here get out to blast the big bad wolf yet.

(Please no flames about the noble and holy wolf):rollin

I'm looking at getting a 308 Norma Magnum and using reloads with 165 gr. match bullets, should be good to 500 yards and beyond.

Any ideas?

Rubber Ducky

qbochar
12-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Very interesting posts to read. I usually take the hides and get them stretched, unless they are mangy.

Difference is I get to shoot them as part of my job, seeing that coyotes are listed under the Ag Pest Act, and I am appointed by my local council under the Ag pest Act. So happy shooting! And keep the pest numbers down.

ruger300
12-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Thanks Cabot, I call home round the Onoway area. It about 45min west of edmonton. Success has been slow here as well. I figure if your not right about on them before you start calling ... they ain't running 1/2 mile to see what's going on like other years. With all the snow its too much work and energy. I figured with all the snow to give more time at the sets but after the other day I'm refiguring. 15-20min at the max and git goin to the next set. Will see if I'm right.
Talk to y'all later.

ruger300

SouthAltaHunter
12-20-2006, 06:50 AM
I have been known to leave a few coyotes where they lay in the past. And yes when I did it I felt guily about it. My father in law ranches by Cypress Hills, and there is alot of coyotes on his place. They dont really seem to bother cattle, yes we have found the odd calf dead that was ate by coyotes, but how many were accually killed by the coyotes who knows. Personally the places where I have seen the problems kinda seems like human fault. I have seen some pretty stinky dirty ranches were there was to many cows congested, with some pretty sick looking animals with them and the rancher says he has problems with coyotes. At my father in laws place when ever he has one die from whatever he drags it to his dead pile, keeps his place clean and all things seem fine. So do I still shoot coyotes and leave them now, my answer would be probally 1 out of 10. Sometimes in my mind I think I am controlling the population out there, but am I really. I found this interesting article on the net about the evolution of a hunter, and it seems pretty accurate to me.

Shooter Stage

A hunter that is in the Shooter Stage talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to being able to "get in some shooting." Often the beginning duck hunter will relate he had an excellent day if he got in a lot of shooting. The beginning deer hunter will talk about the number of shooting opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of his firearm. A hunter in this stage may be a dangerous hunting partner.

Limiting Out Stage

A hunter that is in the Limiting Out Stage still talks about satisfaction gained from shooting. But what seems more important is measuring success through the killing of game and the number of birds or animals shot. Limiting out, or filling a tag, is the absolute measure. Do not let your desire to limit out be stronger than the need for safe behavior at all times.

Trophy Stage

The satisfaction of a hunter in the Trophy stage is described in terms of selectivity of game. A duck hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal. Shooting opportunity and skills become less important.

Method Stage

When a hunter has reached the Method Stage, he has accumulated all the special equipment that he could possibly need. Hunting has become one of the most important things in his life. Satisfaction comes from the method that enables the hunter to take game. Taking game is important, but second to how it is taken. This hunter will study long and hard how best to pick a blind site, lay out decoys, and call in waterfowl. A deer hunter will go one on one with a white-tailed deer, studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. Often, the hunter will handicap himself by hunting only with black powder firearms or bow and arrow. Bagging game, or limiting, still is understood as being a necessary part of the hunt during this phase.

Sportsman Stage

Finally, as a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he tends to "mellow out." Satisfaction now can be found in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game.

Not all sport hunters go through all the stages, or go through them in that particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several species of game to be in different stages with regard to each species. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen, training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly through some stages.

Can you find one of these categories that fits you? Where are you in your hunting career now? Where would you like to be? We each have to make a decision as to what kind of hunter we want to be, and then be the best that we can.

Grizzly Adams
12-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Well, I snuffed one yesterday morning. Was sitting at the kitchen table, in my housecoat, having my wake up coffee, when my son told me there was a yote just behind the house, practically nose to nose with our useless watch dog. Went downstairs, donned my duckies and grabbed the .243. The coyote was so stunned by the scary apparition, coming out the back door, he just stood there, while I gunned him down.:rollin
Grizz

7 REM MAG
12-29-2006, 04:35 PM
shoot at em all! if you miss reload! lol
i personally dont keep the yotes but if im with someone who does we will pick em up

Duffy4
01-30-2007, 11:13 AM
I was looking through the guide to the regulations recently and it looks to me like there are some areas where it is legal to allow the pelt of a coyote to be wasted and some other areas where it is NOT LEGAL. Better check on it before you go out and shoot and leave them.

Robin in Rocky

Blakeinator2
01-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Yeah, i may need correcting but public land you can only shoot em from start of any big game season to the end of the spring bear season(or last big game season)....and if on public then i think you have to salvage them? Private land however i believe its 365 days a year and can leave em where they lay. If i'm wrong there will be somebody to correct me i'm sure.

B

shorthair
02-10-2007, 12:26 PM
A Resident may, without a licence and on land to which he or she has the right of access, hunt (but not trap) coyote at all times of the year throughout the province, except as follows:
1) on public lands in the Green Area, only from October 1, 2006 to February 28, 2007, and
2) in Camp Wainwright (WMUs 728 and 730), only from December 12, 2006 to February 28, 2007.

Above is taken from the regulations. Hunting Coyotes on public land closes Feb 28th.

shorthair

ruger300
02-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Well... coyote season is closing in fast but the hides are still prime if ya can find a nice one. Seen 4 yesterday but only manged to convince one back out into the open. Still nice fur on this older male and the other 3 looked good too. I figure I seen the rest of the pack this morning on my way to Calling Lake for a day of fishin. Alas no rifle in the truck and the yotes were on land I have permission on. Oh well, maybe next time.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/ruger300/2007yote9.jpg

Keep them photos showing up.

ruger300

honda450
03-11-2007, 12:40 PM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/hoda450/01200021.jpg

Here's a fine fellow I got this season.

bigbore
03-18-2007, 11:00 PM
nice looking pics guys. ruger300 , those shooting sticks in the pics on pg.3, those store bought or homemade???

ruger300
03-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Store bought BB. Stoney Point steady stix. Stuck some camo'd duck tape on them to break them up a bit. Have made homemade one's for some of my hunting buddies out of old buggie whips I find up north at work. They work great too but it's always nice after a long day chasing yotes to collapse the stoney's and put them in the backpack.

ruger300

BrownBear416
04-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Quote from Coyote Snuffer...
Them bastards deserve every hot bullet they get. We knock em down in the barley field every couple of days, then wack the rest of the ones that come to eat the dead one. :lol :lol

I believe that Coyote's are like Bears and that there population needs to be kept in check and hunters are the one's doing it.

Do you think hunters could kill enough Yotes in a year to make a very big impact on there population?? I dont think so.

Delburnedave
04-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Quote from Coyote Snuffer...
Them bastards deserve every hot bullet they get. We knock em down in the barley field every couple of days, then wack the rest of the ones that come to eat the dead one.

I've shot lots of coyotes and left them where they fell, but I have yet to see another coyote feeding on them. I've walked past the carcasses of coyotes I've shot weeks, or even months later and the only thing that's touched them is birds. I'm calling B.S.

packhuntr
04-14-2007, 09:52 AM
There seems to be lots of guys against even having coyotes. I wack my share in the winter, but wouldnt even consider leaving one. Shoot em or trap em when they are prime, dont waste. Just my opinion, but we and the chain, need coyotes. And most of the ranchers claiming coyotes are killing their calves, are clueless. I grew up farming and ranching, and 99% of accusations thrown at yippers, were indeed stilborn calves. I have an acreage, and my dogs bark every night. I havent called the county saying we have a coyote problem, cause its part and parcel. Only my opinion.

keep a strain on er.

Canmoron
04-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Hey Delburne
Ever notice how much ravens love eating dead coyotes?

Coyote meat seems like candy to them - don't know if it's the taste, or if they just delight in chowing down on the 'trickster' they've played with all winter.

Around here, they much prefer road-killed coyote to deer and elk.

Andrew