PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about fishing BC

Kurt505
07-15-2016, 01:04 PM
My son is staying with relatives in Fairmont for a couple weeks, he wants to go fishing. He is 13yrs old, and being that he is from out of province will he need a fishing license?

pinelakeperch
07-15-2016, 01:15 PM
My son is staying with relatives in Fairmont for a couple weeks, he wants to go fishing. He is 13yrs old, and being that he is from out of province will he need a fishing license?

http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/faq_anglers.html

Doesn't appear so.

Kurt505
07-15-2016, 01:21 PM
http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/faq_anglers.html

Doesn't appear so.

That's what I was looking at, it says if you are 16yrs or over you need one, I guess that goes for both residents and non residents?

I can't see anything specifically referring to non resident youths, I was assuming the same applies.

Thanks.

pinelakeperch
07-15-2016, 01:56 PM
That's what I was looking at, it says if you are 16yrs or over you need one, I guess that goes for both residents and non residents?

I can't see anything specifically referring to non resident youths, I was assuming the same applies.

Thanks.

I assumed the same. Unless noted otherwise, you'd have to think the same rules apply. Youth under 16 in Alberta don't need one, and I didn't need one in Ontario when I was 15.

Should be no problem!

hunter270win
07-15-2016, 10:59 PM
If you look at page 6 of the BC Fishing Regulations in the center of the page you will see " IF YOU ARE UNDER 16 AND NOT A RESIDENT OF BC". It says you don't need a license but must be fishing with someone over 16 with a fishing license and your catch goes against their quota. If you want to have your own quota of fish you must purchase a license as a non-resident.

spinN'flyfish
07-15-2016, 11:11 PM

He won't need one, unless he plans to keep any fish, however if there's anyone who fishes with him that has a license, the fish he chooses to keep will be under the license holder's limit.

millsboy79
07-16-2016, 08:08 AM
If you look at page 6 of the BC Fishing Regulations in the center of the page you will see " IF YOU ARE UNDER 16 AND NOT A RESIDENT OF BC". It says you don't need a license but must be fishing with someone over 16 with a fishing license and your catch goes against their quota. If you want to have your own quota of fish you must purchase a license as a non-resident.
^this

Kurt505
07-16-2016, 08:41 AM

Ah, thank you, I missed that part.

Wild&Free
07-16-2016, 11:05 AM
A lot of the streams and rivers there are Fly Fishing only. Just a heads up if he's a gear thrower and not a flea flicker.